Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2015, 04:22 AM   #1

ford starter solenoids

i just replaced the starter solenoid on my 08 f53 chassis for the third time in 6 1/2 years. it always has the problem of sticking at the worst time. has anyone else seen a problem with theirs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a difficult one to speculate as to why???? Who knows??? Maybe you just got unlucky and had three marginal solenoids. Who knows who the manufacturers were??? Just chalk it up to a weird coincidence and put the fourth one in and keep an extra one with you.

Then there is this to consider. A solenoid will fail to activate and make good enough contact between the three internal points of contact due to corrosion which sets up an internal high resistance. When that happens there is insufficient current flow and nothing happens. The same results will occur if you have high resistance connections in the positive or negative leads in the circuit. It all has to do with voltage losses because of high resistance connections. It will happen in the solenoid or any place else. When enough voltage is lost (dropped) the solenoid will fail.

Most will always check and clean the positive but the negative connections are just as important. Check and clean them all then retry the solenoid.

TeJay
Old 10-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I dough that you are changing the starter solenoid. Most likely you are changing the starter relay mounted away from the starter. Most auto parts stores wrongly call the starter relay the starter solenoid.

If you are changing the starter relay then you may have a bad starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is very hard to change as it is mounted on top of the starter and most just replace the starter when it is bad. I am not sure if any auto parts stores even sell the starter solenoid separate anymore.
The contact ring (washer) in the starter solenoid can become pitted and will work sometimes and sometime not.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
That's a difficult one to speculate as to why???? Who knows??? Maybe you just got unlucky and had three marginal solenoids. Who knows who the manufacturers were??? Just chalk it up to a weird coincidence and put the fourth one in and keep an extra one with you.

Then there is this to consider. A solenoid will fail to activate and make good enough contact between the three internal points of contact due to corrosion which sets up an internal high resistance. When that happens there is insufficient current flow and nothing happens. The same results will occur if you have high resistance connections in the positive or negative leads in the circuit. It all has to do with voltage losses because of high resistance connections. It will happen in the solenoid or any place else. When enough voltage is lost (dropped) the solenoid will fail.

Most will always check and clean the positive but the negative connections are just as important. Check and clean them all then retry the solenoid.

TeJay
Yes I've done all that cleaning of the terminals in all everything was pretty clean but that did fine on the 2nd solenoid that is the one I just replaced that had a rubber boot over the solenoid plunger and I think the rubber boot melted and got into the area around the plunger and siezed it up and it's also possible that maybe heat from the exhaust pipe which is about 5-6 inches away maybe was too much and melted that boot. this is the 3rd solenoid that I just put on and we'll see what happens I did make a heat shield to go over top of the solenoid where the end that goes into the starter and I'm going to see what happens.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:40 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the reasons I do not like Fords is I've owned a few in the past.

But that problem....... I never have encountered. Those solenoids have always lasted and lasted and lasted and lasted and outlasted the vehicle.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good fine on the exhaust. It could have been a factor or any corroded connection will also get hotter. Maybe the combination of the two or just another not to good solenoid. You've got a handle on it now and will be prepared.

The idea about ALL high current connections positive and negative was learned partially from this experience.

Years ago the assistant principal came to me with an intermittent cranking issue on his pickup. He had taken it to dealers for new starters, new batteries and just dead batteries. This occurred over a 4-6 month time period. Nobody figured it out and he and his DW would periodically get stuck with a dead battery.

We were discussing electrical problems with my Junior class at the time so I said sure we'll look at it. I drew the schematic on the board reviewed the operation of the cranking circuit. Went through all the current flow areas, connections etc. I assigned two kids to the project and dismissed the class to the lab. In about less than 5 minutes they came back with the answer.

All the positive connections were clean and good. The battery had been out several times over the course of the problem so I figured they'd be OK. The negative battery connection at the battery was good also but at the block where the negative battery cable was bolted was loose. The connection was intermittent and so was the charging of the battery and the flow of electrons to and from the battery. The block would shift back and forth from the engine torque resulting in an intermittent connection. They cleaned and tightened it and he never had another problem with it.

Not only did the kids learn a valuable lesson so did I. In all that time why did nobody check all connections??? All the different mechanics who looked at it and nobody suspected a loose or dirty negative connection.
That's only one of several similar experiences regarding loose or missing ground wires.

TeJay
Old 10-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a thought... Where are you buying your replacements?

Auto Zone and their competitors specialize in parts for Cars, oh they carry truck parts but mostly they are for CARS.

You may wish to make sure you go to a TRUCK store.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
i just replaced the starter solenoid on my 08 f53 chassis for the third time in 6 1/2 years. it always has the problem of sticking at the worst time. has anyone else seen a problem with theirs.
Can you provide the exact Ford part number, where you bought yours, etc? Thanks.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, solenoid