Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Transmission Problems

I have a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer with the Ford V-10. At low speeds when I accelerate, the vehicle begins to shake and rattle like the transmission is searching for a gear. Is this normal?
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carluv View Post
I have a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer with the Ford V-10. At low speeds when I accelerate, the vehicle begins to shake and rattle like the transmission is searching for a gear. Is this normal?
Don't think it's normal. I bought a used 1999 with the ford V10 and had a similar problem. At low speed the transmission would slip some. I took it to a auto repair place that also did some transmission work. They had a machine that flushed the transmission. I believe the MH engine did all the pumping. The machine just replaced the old fluid with new synthetic fluid, and I believe they ran a cleaner thru it also. At first it only seemed to help a little, but after a long trip all seems to work fine now.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the mileage and when has the transmission been serviced?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:20 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The MH has 25,980 miles on it. Have no idea if it has ever been serviced.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 AM   #5
Community Administrator

I had an 01 and I believe the recommended trans oil and filter change is 30,000 miles. Even though yours has less , the thirteen year age takes precedence.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #6

https://www.google.com/search?q=tamp...10&es_sm=93&ie

You need to make some calls and attempt to find a shop that is comfortable doing diagnostics on your vehicle. Be prepared to pay for a honest diagnosis. Malfunctioning sensors on the transmission can be identified by a scanner, Fords have the potential for problems in this regard. Do not deal with a company that doesn't start with scanner diagnosis.
Mr. Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #7

A simple try is disconnect the batteries to reset the computer then you have to teach your transmission how you drive. I've always replaced fluid and filters at 25k and make sure to drain the torque converter.
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No plug in converter to drain it. Only way to do a complete change is to pump it out a cooler line while adding new trans fluid or using a non-pressurized flushing machine the uses the transmission own pump. Changing to synthetic is a good idea. Your problem sounds like it is an electronic problem. Is the overdrive light on the shifter blinking while driving it? If it is there is a problem with the trans electronics. Disconnecting the battery may clear the problem for a while. Best thing to do is take it to a Ford dealer that can read the transmission codes of the ECM. A regulator code scanner will not access that part of the ECM.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it were mine I'd check with Ford and determine their suggested and correct method of changing the fluid. With less than 30,000 miles you should be good. By that I mean if you buy a used vehicle and it had say 60-80,000 miles and the fluid had never been changed some places won't touch it. Often the transmission will develop problems with shifting because of dirt that gets dislodged during the fluid change.

Follow what ever Ford says is the preferred method. Some will attach a machine and pump all the fluid and then fill with the Ford Mercon-5 which is a full synthetic fluid. Many of today's transmissions don't have filters as they did years ago. When only the pan is removed more than half of the fluid is still in the converter so it never gets changed. That's why the pump method. Any way check with Ford and used their approved method. I had mine done several years ago and it was a little over $100. That's a lot cheaper than a re-build.

If James reads this he will chime in with his advice. He's well trained on the ford stuff and will know the approved method.

TeJay
Old 03-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carluv View Post
It sound more like a misfire to me. If the transmission was slipping you would see the RPMs rise. It can be jittery sometimes but that is pretty rare. The transmission really does not search for a gear. It just does what the PCM commands. If the PCM commands second it better shift into second. If the ratio is not achieved, the OD light will start to flash. It may also default to 1st gear or 3rd gear only. This transmission (4R100) stacks clutchs for each gear ratio. First gear is only the Forward clutch. 2nd gear add the intermediate clutch. 3rd gear will have the direct clutch applied and 4th the OD clutch will apply. So when your in 4th gear all 4 clutch packs are engaged (pretty strong).

Misfires can be tricky. Sometimes they only occur at idle. Sometimes on heavy load and other on a specific engine load. Because of different cylinder pressures during the course of operation the resistance to jump the gap on the plug is always different so depending on the failure the misfire can be various.

Low fuel pressure can cause perceived misfires and some perceived and actual transmission shift issues. If pressure is low the power will be low (you may not even detect it) and it will affect shift timing. I would strongly recommend some highly reputable place that has diagnostic equipment that can monitor transmission inputs and outputs. Monitoring the specific gear ratios through the scan tool will tell you without a doubt if there is a slip issue in the transmission.

As far as transmission service goes, replace the fluid with Mercon V fluid. A filter is at your choice. A filter should never plug up unless there is transmission damage. There is nothing that should cause excessive debris in the fluid (like motor oil) to plug up the filter. I personally just drain the fluid and grossly overfill the transmission. About 10 quarts. run it for a few minutes and through the gears. Drain the fluid and refill to top it off. Usually gets all the old stuff out. Do not add any transmission additives. I call this stuff "swell a seal" as from what I have seen after way to many years rebuilding transmissions that is what that stuff does. It may work for the life the transmission or it may leave you on the side of the road. I do what I can to ensure my vacation and families safety is first and not try to save a buck or two.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Follow what ever Ford says is the preferred method. Some will attach a machine and pump all the fluid and then fill with the Ford Mercon-5 which is a full synthetic fluid. Many of today's transmissions don't have filters as they did years ago.
TeJay
At least with Ford transmissions there are still filters. But they are considered filter for life. The filter in all current front drive transmissions cannot be removed without separating the transmission case halves. Rear drives still have a fluid pan that can be dropped. But they are still a filter for life or failure.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Transmission

Thank you all for your comments. Took it to Ford Dealer Thursday early AM, but do to bad weather they have still not looked at it, but assure me it will be looked at Monday. Will keep everyone posted. I have another question I will post in a few.

Dave
Old 03-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #13

X2 on checking for engine issues but with the age I would still change the fluid in the transmission. I change the fluid myself in MH every 20,000. We have over 70,000 miles already with no issues and we tow a car on a tow dolly all the time. If maintained this drive train is bullet proof.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #14
rtz

Try some of this:

LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant

Amazon.com: Lubegard 60902 Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant: Automotive
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, transmission