Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm not generally a Ford man, but I love my V10. I did spend the money on a Banks system, before I knew about the 5star. I am completly satisfied with the smooth running and additional power and less downshifing the Banks provides with the computer chip. I did have the water issue, but I just drill drain holes and haven't had a problem since.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbunz View Post
I'm not generally a Ford man, but I love my V10. I did spend the money on a Banks system, before I knew about the 5star. I am completly satisfied with the smooth running and additional power and less downshifing the Banks provides with the computer chip. I did have the water issue, but I just drill drain holes and haven't had a problem since.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
Where did you drill the holes Capt? How many and what size?

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
The Ford solution does look restrictive, especially at the bottom where the intake gets very small. What happened to gas mileage after this install, go down by any chance?

What about the newer F53s? I haven't looked at my 2011 to see what it looks like.

Roll
The mod calls for removing a plastic shield and a smaller pipe at the end of the filter. You actually get an improvement in airflow. A lot of my customers claimed a modest gas mileage improvement. The 2011 has a horizontal filter that is bigger and has no water problems.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The mod calls for removing a plastic shield and a smaller pipe at the end of the filter. You actually get an improvement in airflow. A lot of my customers claimed a modest gas mileage improvement. The 2011 has a horizontal filter that is bigger and has no water problems.
Ah, okay so I don't have to worry about this. (ours is a 2011).

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainsktg View Post
If your RV has an open engine bay, it may suck water into the air filter during heavy rains. Ford has modified the stock intake two or three times, but some folks still complain about the filters getting wet. There is also a 'hillbilly mod' using a dryer hose that some folks have tried successfully. The dryer hose didn't work for me, so I went back to the stock intake and carry two extra filters to change out as the get wet. I've had to change the filters many times while on the road, sometimes every hundred miles :( .

Keith
If you use a K&N or gauze type filter you will not have a problem, in fact I have a cold air intake that feeds directly into the open air stream behind the grill. Oil and water do not mix. I've driven in several driving heavy rains with no problem. I get 8.5+mpg now in STRONG headwinds, will never have to buy another filter. AND there is no dust getting into the intake, contrary to many people's opinions.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's an option to consider. The water would still be entrained in the air though, although it would pass through the filter and not soak it. That might be the best option though in my case.

I had a K&N in my Triton V8 for over 12 years with no issues.

Keith
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Ah, okay so I don't have to worry about this. (ours is a 2011).

Roll
You are good to go. The 2011 has the filter installed much higher up and has a water drain at the right side. It picks up much less water and drains what little it does pick up.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #22

Help finding the part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
This is the answer to the water ingestion problem. We installed lots of these for our customers. Everyone said it cured the problem. I went with the air intake mod. from Banks, because it used a larger filter housing and flowed more air. The downside to the Banks is the price is much more than Ford.
I cannot find the snorkel. Do you have a source I could get it from. I recently purchased a 1999 Damon intruder and have had to stop twice for a thoroughly wet filter. It has the original air filter part.

Thanks
derb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #23

What they All said . I am a 210 percent GM big block guy. I have had p chassis 454 and f 53 v10and 99 low HP. If I bought a gas rig today it would be f53 v10 no questions they will scream but not come apart that I have heard
But dp is best of all
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by derb22 View Post
I cannot find the snorkel. Do you have a source I could get it from. I recently purchased a 1999 Damon intruder and have had to stop twice for a thoroughly wet filter. It has the original air filter part.

Thanks
The snorkel is a Ford fix for the water intake problem.The parts are all furnished by Ford. Try you local dealer first. If he is to lazy to look up the parts, call Ford at 1-800-444-3311. That is the motorhome customer assistance number.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #25

Water logged air filter in heavy rain

I have a 2001 Monaco Monarch with the Ford F54 chassis and Triton V10 engine. I has the typical water ingestion problem shown elsewhere on this site, but the repair kit is no longer available from Ford or any aftermarket supplier that I can find.
I have made a snorkel using about 4 feet of 3" aftermarket intake hose (2 pieces screwed into each other about 2 inches and taped). It is then run up and over the brake reservoir to the very top of the front cowl and turned down about 12 inches. This allows the intake to be much higher above the rain and road water, and does not allow water to "fall" in from the top.
However, I am concerned about airflow restriction. Should I use a larger diameter hose for this distance? Or, maybe shorten the length to reduce restriction. I would also like to see some pictures of how others have solved it.
I found one picture that showed Ford's fix, but that seems to be unavailable.
I know this is an old issue, but for those of us who need a fix some help would be appreciated.
Cheswynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had the water issue (1999 Dutch Star) and stopped at our original dealer in OK on our way to UT. They added some dryer vent hose to get the intake above the water. That worked OK until we tried to climb some mountains. It started loosing power so I took the hose off and as long as it wasn't raining it worked fine. I assumed the flex hose was restricting the flow of air.

Eventually I built my own system probably similar to what you did but I used light gauge smooth PVC pipe.

When doing things like that always use pipe that is as large as you can easily install and make the corners. At least 3" would work.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was looking at PVC pipe when I came across a flexible 4 inch field drain pipe. Works perfectly..

TSB air intake reduces water ingestion on F53 – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #28

If you hit a rainy day read some of the posts here on V10s, then go to the Power train forums and read about the issues people post on Cummins and Cat forums.
V10 problems tend to be either old units or tuner equipped. Either way, they're cheaper and simpler problems.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10