Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #1

Ford Triton V10

I'm looking for any feedback regarding the v10's performance, fuel economy, problems. Anything that I might want to made aware of. Thanks in advance.
yolo2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #2

i have the v10 in my 2000 winni 37g. it has 50k on it and runs perfect. doesnt burn oil. has sufficient power even for a 37 ft coach and i quite often pull a landscape trailer with atvs, bikes ect. my friend is a heavy equipment mechanic and he warned me to let the engine idle for 5 minutes or so after travelling to allow it to cool down before shutting off the engine. he says they are prone to cracking exhaust manifolds from people just pulling of the hwy and shutting them off. i also have heard the pre 98ish v10 were prone to blowing spark plugs out of the head if not installed to the right torque specs. other than that everything i have heard is good and i think they are one of the better gas engines out there for a rv. hope this helps
Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #3

I have a heavy 38' MH with tag axle and we have a toad on a dolly,
so we pull a lot of weight with a V-10.
It has power to make it over any pass on the highways, sometimes at 30mph in 2nd gear,
but we always make it over....

Same mileage as those pulling the same weight, 6 to 7mpg.
Some say they get much better mileage, but I don't always believe them.

From what I have read, the first year of the V-10 was 1997,
but they were only available in the Ford E-series vans.
They came out in everything else in Feb. 1998 and called a 1999.
Around 2005 they changed to 3-valve heads with more HP.

The only problem I have had with mine is 2 starters in 3 years, buy at NAPA, good warranty.

First time the fan clutch engages it sounds like a rocket launch, it's normal.

Don't lug a V-10, they don't like it so keep the RPMs up.

Just about any thing you want to know about a V-10 is in the posts of this forum,
so don't wait for us to give you all the answers, start reading....

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the Ford V10 in my 1999 winni, just a wonderful dependable smooth running engine. All I ever did to it in 49,000 miles was normal maintenance., oil, tune up, general check over by the RV service center. I think mine was 235hp, maybe more, 29 foot class C. My toad was a 2000 chevy tracker. I would not want a larger coach with that engine. I know there are 40 footers with the V10 beefed up to over 300 hp. I drove one, roars on the hills. I don't like that much noise. But, like previous posts said, the v10 runs good at high rpms. Mine was about 6 mpg. I love my diesel pusher, the power is there big time, smooth and quiet.
kewag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #5

We only have two seasons on our 2011 F53. Ours is the V-10 Triton at 362 HP. We pull a 4 dr jeep, and the coach is long for a gasser at 38 feet or close to that.

It pulls well up the mountain grades which was a surprise having heard that we would be dragging tail up mountain grades at 30MPH. We maintained 65 mph up most; on a few we dropped down to 60 mph. Not bad for a gas engine pulling all that weight.

It does roar at high RPM so I have installed Hush Mat in and all around the engine bay and will soon install a tuning module to stop the early downshifting. That should make the difference; I'll know for sure this spring when we are back out on the road.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #6

ford triton v10

Thanks for the responses, It sounds like I shouldn't be concerned with this motor. Happy trails.
yolo2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #7

We have over 100,000 miles on our 2001 V10. It still runs great and doesn't use any oil. It's pulled either a Buick LeSabre on a dolly or a Jeep Wrangler 4 down its entire life. Never had a single problem with it.

When you could get unleaded gas without ethanol we averaged a little over 8 mpg. With the advent of ethanol the mileage has dropped to a little over 7 mph.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I get 9.5 mpg lightly loaded and pulling a motorcycle at 55-60 mph. Our V10's are more reliable than diesels, last just as long (reported at 200k to 750k miles with out overhauls) a heck of lot less expensive to buy and maintain and easier to work on. Get parts (if they're ever needed?) at RockAuto.com. I have 73k trouble free miles.
Just go have fun and do the normal maintenance regularly.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
From 97 thru 2004 Ford used an aluminum head and only had 4 threads in the spark plug hole. These had a few people who had the plugs blow out. If it happens, there is a repair that can be done by most Ford dealerships. I have a 35 ft. Pace and pull a 2012 Civic. in 2007 I took a trip out west of over 5,000 miles. I averaged 7.84 miles per gallon. I did several mods to my coach and on the two trips out west in 2008 and 2009 I averaged 8.33 and 8.32 miles per gallon. The V10 is a great engine and will last if you treat it right. For people who doubt my mileage, I used 583 gallons of fuel in 4863 miles, You do the math.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If your RV has an open engine bay, it may suck water into the air filter during heavy rains. Ford has modified the stock intake two or three times, but some folks still complain about the filters getting wet. There is also a 'hillbilly mod' using a dryer hose that some folks have tried successfully. The dryer hose didn't work for me, so I went back to the stock intake and carry two extra filters to change out as the get wet. I've had to change the filters many times while on the road, sometimes every hundred miles :( .

Keith
Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Intake on the V10..

I took comments on this site about the water intake seriously...bought the Ford provided upgrade to protect water inlet issues..

Only other item I plan to purchase soon is the 5 Star tune..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 030.jpg
Views:	2315
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	32723  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the 5 Star tune. Mine has 63 k on the clock and is running strong. My motorhome is only 31 feet long and rather lightweight. Even climbing across the mountains and up Donner Pass I did not need to use the truck lane. It never got slower than 50 mph on this pass. The V10 is a great engine!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
I took comments on this site about the water intake seriously...bought the Ford provided upgrade to protect water inlet issues..

Only other item I plan to purchase soon is the 5 Star tune..
This is the answer to the water ingestion problem. We installed lots of these for our customers. Everyone said it cured the problem. I went with the air intake mod. from Banks, because it used a larger filter housing and flowed more air. The downside to the Banks is the price is much more than Ford.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
This is the answer to the water ingestion problem. We installed lots of these for our customers. Everyone said it cured the problem. I went with the air intake mod. from Banks, because it used a larger filter housing and flowed more air. The downside to the Banks is the price is much more than Ford.
The Ford solution does look restrictive, especially at the bottom where the intake gets very small. What happened to gas mileage after this install, go down by any chance?

What about the newer F53s? I haven't looked at my 2011 to see what it looks like.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10