Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2022, 03:57 AM   #1

Ford Truck WS Wiper Recall?

Has anyone gotten the WS Wiper recall done by Ford? I have a new Bay Star at the factory ready to deliver that they can't send out because it is subject to the WS Wiper recall. I haven't been able to find any information on when or how the parts will be made available? Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks,
<TED>
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2022, 04:42 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tell the dealer to either get the delivery moving or start discounting the price as the recall does not effect the Ford F53 chassis. The problem is the Ford supplied wider arms on the F series pickups could fail but Ford does not supplied the arms with the incomplete F53 chassis. And if they say your Bay Star is built on an F-550 chassis and is subject to the recall tell them to deliver or discount as the Bay Star is not built on that chassis.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/04/20...ve-wiper-arms/
Old 07-05-2022, 06:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Tell the dealer to either get the delivery moving or start discounting the price as the recall does not effect the Ford F53 chassis. The problem is the Ford supplied wider arms on the F series pickups could fail but Ford does not supplied the arms with the incomplete F53 chassis. And if they say your Bay Star is built on an F-550 chassis and is subject to the recall tell them to deliver or discount as the Bay Star is not built on that chassis.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/04/20...ve-wiper-arms/
Thanks for the reply. I have sent this information to my dealer, though it is not the dealer that is making these claims: it is the manufacturer - Newmar. Moreover, Newmar has a pretty large number of completed vehicles based on the F53 chassis that are sitting in Indiana awaiting parts from Ford before they can ship the vehicles which is a significant cost to Newmar so it isn't logical that they would not ship if they could. In any event, I have asked my dealer to investigate further (and he has been pretty good about doing so). It may be that there is a different recall involving the windshield wipers. They are not referring to it as a wiper arm recall but the windshield wiper assembly. Of course that may just be an imprecise use of language.

Many thanks,
<TED>
Old 07-05-2022, 10:17 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The last recall related to the F53 was back in 2018 for front axel wheel bolts that were not heat treated properly.

Enter the make. model and year for the chassis to find if there are any current recalls. Drop the year and the search will replay with all recalls for the model. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Old 07-05-2022, 10:47 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a different dealer and Newmar is telling them the same thing about the Wiper Assembly Module.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
The last recall related to the F53 was back in 2018 for front axel wheel bolts that were not heat treated properly.

Enter the make. model and year for the chassis to find if there are any current recalls. Drop the year and the search will replay with all recalls for the model. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Interestingly, my VIN does not show any outstanding recalls. Of course, it might be a Ford initiated recall rather than a NHTSA generated recall when it wouldn't show up for up to 60 days...

Thanks,
<TED>
Old 07-05-2022, 01:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder if it’s a supply chain issue rather than a recall? Either way, per my dealer, Newmar says they will not release the motorhomes because having working wipers a safety issue.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I wonder if it’s a supply chain issue rather than a recall? Either way, per my dealer, Newmar says they will not release the motorhomes because having working wipers a safety issue.
I suspect not a supply chain issue for Newmar. Definitely one for Ford<g>! They told me that Newmar was working on an in-house solution to the problem (sounds like independent supply) and the lawyers nixed it. While I would be fine with an in-house solution, I can also understand why the lawyers nixed it. Its really frustrating! So close, but so far!

<TED>
Old 07-05-2022, 03:54 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A missing wiper control module will be an on the road safety problem. It's a solid state device (IE integrated circuits) that is between the multifunction switch and the wiper motor plus the washer fluid pump. No module no wipers. No wipers no delivery of the rig anywhere since they are driven to the dealer and safety stuff like wipers need to work.

A rather unassuming box on the firewall down near the gas pedal (has the white label in the attached pic) at least on the V10 chassis. If Ford is delivery incomplete chassis without the module then a lot more builders than Newmar that have a problem or they went with an after market source while Newmar choose to wait. I hope this isn't a repeat of the Bronco delivery delays for prospective owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5578.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	370217  
Old 07-05-2022, 03:56 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SweetBriar, great explanation. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2022, 03:13 AM   #11

Quote:
A missing wiper control module will be an on the road safety problem. It's a solid state device (IE integrated circuits) that is between the multifunction switch and the wiper motor plus the washer fluid pump. No module no wipers. No wipers no delivery of the rig anywhere since they are driven to the dealer and safety stuff like wipers need to work.

A rather unassuming box on the firewall down near the gas pedal (has the white label in the attached pic) at least on the V10 chassis. If Ford is delivery incomplete chassis without the module then a lot more builders than Newmar that have a problem or they went with an after market source while Newmar choose to wait. I hope this isn't a repeat of the Bronco delivery delays for prospective owners.
Sweetbriar,

What you say makes a lot of sense. The one thing is, they did not deliver incomplete chassis. There is a recall of parts that were actually delivered. The effect on the buyer is the same, but I don't want to start a rumor that Ford has been delivering incomplete chassis!

Thanks,
<TED>
Old 07-11-2022, 09:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedj101 View Post
Sweetbriar,

What you say makes a lot of sense. The one thing is, they did not deliver incomplete chassis. There is a recall of parts that were actually delivered. The effect on the buyer is the same, but I don't want to start a rumor that Ford has been delivering incomplete chassis!

Thanks,
<TED>
I’m in the same boat and none to pleased. My unit was completed mid June and ordered back in late October so it’s already been a long wait. My dealer told me they can’t move them because there is no module. I understand that to mean they shipped without the modules so Dealers could at least build out their orders. I was also told by my dealer that an alternative was being run through legal, but could take awhile. Was also told by Megan before she left Newmar that the wait on Ford would be mid to late summer best case.

If it has already been turned down by Winnabego legal what are others doing with their Ford chassis. A lot of other manufacturers using Ford chassis out there so can’t just be a Newmar issue?
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
I’m in the same boat and none to pleased. My unit was completed mid June and ordered back in late October so it’s already been a long wait. My dealer told me they can’t move them because there is no module. I understand that to mean they shipped without the modules so Dealers could at least build out their orders. I was also told by my dealer that an alternative was being run through legal, but could take awhile. Was also told by Megan before she left Newmar that the wait on Ford would be mid to late summer best case.

If it has already been turned down by Winnabego legal what are others doing with their Ford chassis. A lot of other manufacturers using Ford chassis out there so can’t just be a Newmar issue?
I guess your reply above is not good news for either of us. Mine was due to arrive at the dealer's the week of June 20. Obviously, it didn't. I'm very old (in my 80s) and only look at this as a 2 maybe three year project. Late Summer delivery (at best) essentially kills one of those 2-3 years of usefulness. Not sure it is worth buying it for a possible 1-2 years of use.

I heard that legal had killed the work around, but I heard that from my dealer. When did you hear about the alternative. Hopefully, Newmar is working on a different one than the one I heard about.

Thanks,
<TED>
Old 07-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedj101 View Post
I guess your reply above is not good news for either of us. Mine was due to arrive at the dealer's the week of June 20. Obviously, it didn't. I'm very old (in my 80s) and only look at this as a 2 maybe three year project. Late Summer delivery (at best) essentially kills one of those 2-3 years of usefulness. Not sure it is worth buying it for a possible 1-2 years of use.

I heard that legal had killed the work around, but I heard that from my dealer. When did you hear about the alternative. Hopefully, Newmar is working on a different one than the one I heard about.

Thanks,
<TED>
I spoke with my dealer on June 30th. No idea how up to date he was on the issue. He did say going through legal could take awhile, but he may have been trying to set me up for a long wait. I suspect we are talking about the same fix.

My situation is different than yours in that I’m 60 and both my wife and I fully retire end of the year so lots of time to use the MH. That said I did have plans for it this summer that had to be cancelled.

Tough call in your case and I certainly sympathize with you. Hopefully things move quick for all of us that are waiting. Hope the backlog doesn’t get to large as deliveries could take awhile. Ours has to make up to Vancouver BC.
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, recall