RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2020, 03:23 PM   #29

I have just come across this thread with great interest.
I ordered the AFE dry filter.
I am considering cutting out the baffle, and just adding an elbow pointing down on the driverís side intake to keep out the rain.
I am ordering both a 1 1/4Ē and 1 1/2Ē elbow in black, hoping one will fit well enough. I measured the hole on the airbox at right around 1.5 inches.
What do you all think of this idea?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 07:22 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
I did exactly what you've described to our 2016. Only exception is I turned my 90 degree elbow to the side to prevent water splashing into it. No problems since. Good luck.
Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #31

Sanford, thanks!
Do you remember which pipe size you used?
Old 11-21-2020, 12:53 AM   #32

Nice thread. However you gents may be underestimating the effort the Engineers at Ford put into our air boxes. I have spent a few years trying to make stock powertrains make more power on cars, trucks and now even RVís.

Iíve had some wins and a few losses. Just from my expierence I am guessing the baffle in the air box we are looking at creates a resonant chamber. Swirling air, and sound waves can add or subtract from flow. Intake tuning takes as much effort as exhaust tuning.

I have tried a few cold air intakes, K&N filters, 4Ē open exhaust, big turbos, tuning chips, etc. like I said some wins and losses. Fouled sensors and lots of intake and exhaust noise were often the most notable effects. Not sure I ever added enough torque from those mods to be worth the troubles and headaches from intake and exhaust drone up long grades.

Iím not rich or crazy enough to bore and stroke my 1 year old V10, so I am going leave the baffle in the air box for now. Itís quiet and makes pretty good power. Iím thinking that baffle and small vent is helping to reduce some ugly noises at certain throttle positions and RPMís. It could also be adding some spin or reducing tumbling of air flowing through the box?

The V10 has always had a raspy exhaust note. Donít want those kinds of noises up front and close to my ears on a long drives.

I would enjoy hearing if someone finds any magic modding the factory air box. Most of us have to measure by ďseat of the pantsĒ feel. But you never know. I try to stay open minded about mods. Iím still a hot rodder at heart.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #33

Nickd,
I agree with your initial thoughts about Ford engineers.
However, someone mentioned them just using the air box found in our F53 chassisís from the ďparts binĒ. I find this quite believable.
I am not as experienced as you as far as modding and tuning but I am handy and willing to gamble just a little to see if there are any performance gains. I would like just a little more steady power, I donít think it is possible I will hear any more intake noise. I swapped out the air box connector on my 2004 Infinit G35, which other guys said that the original simply was designed to be quieter. But reduced power. I do hear a tiny bit more sound, but, I really donít care or am even bothered. I did not do any testing even though I have a ďdynoĒ on my phone.....who knows if that really even can tell anything.
As far as our beloved V10ís I am willing to experiment a little...
Iíll post my results, but after I receive the AFE filter, apparently it is back ordered for a few weeks.