Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #1

Question Ford v10 hesitates

has anyone had a problem with hesitation on acceleration with the Ford v10, I have a Bounder 2017 model 35K and the hesitation seems to be getting worse every time I take it out, what is going on ?
duktale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2018, 04:56 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by duktale13 View Post
has anyone had a problem with hesitation on acceleration with the Ford v10, I have a Bounder 2017 model 35K and the hesitation seems to be getting worse every time I take it out, what is going on ?
Drive in the rain lately?? Even though Ford changed the air filter housing from the previous design that did suck in water, I have found that on my 2015 it still gets the filter wet. Get one of these filters.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-31-10...y-s-air-filter
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duktale13 View Post
Another thing to check is the fuel filter. @ 35,000 miles it could be starting to get clogged, or the throttle position switch could be going bad, or the map sensor starting to act up, or the crankshaft position sensor could be out of position, or ......

In other words a lot of things could cause your problem, you need professional help with the correct diagnostic tools to determine the problem. A 2017 should still be under warranty it's time to see your local friendly FORD Heavy Truck Dealer.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #4

35 K is the model, not the mileage [emoji4]

Its new, get Ford to fix it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Acceleration problem

I had same problem with our 2016 Challenger. Dealership could not determine problem. I did the 5 star tuning upgrade and that solved my problem. I will order the filter mentioned in the previous post, just to be sure. Good luck.
Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
I had same problem with our 2016 Challenger. Dealership could not determine problem. I did the 5 star tuning upgrade and that solved my problem. I will order the filter mentioned in the previous post, just to be sure. Good luck.
If you add the AFE air filter, pull the air box out and get rid of the baffle inside the lower box. We're not using the entire capacity of the air filter nor are we getting all the air the V10 wants.

This is the picture of my stock air filter. Notice one end is cleaner than the rest? that is the part in the baffled area that has no air flow.

This is the baffle inside the airbox

Old 02-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we bought our 2012 bounder classic out only had 5300 miles on it. The first thing I noticed was the exhaust pipe was black at the end, running too rich. Could Have been short trips also when it shifted out of overdrive it backfired. I am a huge believer Lucas products so I used it in 3 fill ups. The pipe is now rusty looking and there is no backfire. I also use there oil stabilizer ( pure synthetic) and tranny treatment. You will like the results.
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll have to take a look at the baffle. Maybe the baffle is there to prevent water infiltration??? Just a thought!!!!

I'm VERY familiar with the water issue. We had it on the 1999. Blinding rain storm heading to FL with all the family and water, water, water being sucked into the front facing air intake. Smart idea for RAM-AIR but a bad idea for RAM-WATER. It did work for both but!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2018, 04:48 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I'll have to take a look at the baffle. Maybe the baffle is there to prevent water infiltration??? Just a thought!!!!

I'm VERY familiar with the water issue. We had it on the 1999. Blinding rain storm heading to FL with all the family and water, water, water being sucked into the front facing air intake. Smart idea for RAM-AIR but a bad idea for RAM-WATER. It did work for both but!!!!!!
On the front of the air box (the side facing out) there is a port, usually covered with a blue cap. That is the feed for the baffled part of the air box. I added a fitting and pipe to that port and made another air source for the air box. The pipe I added goes to the drivers side above the headlight. Very little chance of water getting in. The air box also already has water drains in the bottom of the box.

With the higher flowing air filter in there and the added air intake I find that the RV drives better. Even on cruise control hills are no longer a challenge for it. There are less 5K RPM downshifts too. The V10 needs air, give it all you can.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
35 K is the model, not the mileage
Carefully reading a post usually always pays off doesn't it?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:50 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Crankshaft,

I checked on the front of the AF housing and did not see any access to the baffle side of the air filter. There's no blue cap or any opening on the front except the water drains on the bottom. Also I don't believe there's a baffle on the inside as you showed. Maybe they took the baffle out and that's why there's no access on the outside.

We have a 2013 chassis and yours is a 2014. Kind of strange that they'd make a different set up with the years being so close. I'll post a pic maybe today.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
If you add the AFE air filter, pull the air box out and get rid of the baffle inside the lower box. We're not using the entire capacity of the air filter nor are we getting all the air the V10 wants.

This is the picture of my stock air filter. Notice one end is cleaner than the rest? that is the part in the baffled area that has no air flow.

This is the baffle inside the airbox

What a terrible design....
Old 02-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #13

thanks for all of the info, will check the air intake box, but RV is now at dealership as the have to have the windshield resealed due water coming in to and on top of dash, a trough at bottom of windshield and gets about a half inch water when raining.
also l had replaced the original gas cap for a locking cap and am wondering if that might cause the problem, I blew out the vent hole and this past weekend it has not hesitated. if it starts again will take it to Ford and complain to them,,,don't want to do any mods prior warranty expiring.
duktale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:48 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Crankshaft,

I checked on the front of the AF housing and did not see any access to the baffle side of the air filter. There's no blue cap or any opening on the front except the water drains on the bottom. Also I don't believe there's a baffle on the inside as you showed. Maybe they took the baffle out and that's why there's no access on the outside.

We have a 2013 chassis and yours is a 2014. Kind of strange that they'd make a different set up with the years being so close. I'll post a pic maybe today.
Now that has me baffled. I don't know why they would change air boxes in one year. When I was searching for information on the air box I found that, at least on mine, there were dozens of Ford vehicles that used the same air box. That's how I found the high flow air filter, I used a different vehicle to find a filter. It was a 2005 Ford F350 with the V10 engine. Please post a picture of your air box, they must have eliminated the blue cap because they crack and let water in.