Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #1

Smile Ford v10 upgrades and tuning kits?

Question: Has anyone had the experience of doing engine modifications to either increase the HP or Torque through either mechanical mods or the electronic tuners? Haven't really seen anything on the forum about it; I've seen some Youtube but from only one source....just curious to know if it helps either on gas mileage or torque to climb the hills.....
hayton55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2020, 10:33 PM   #2

Hmmm, once I hit submit the forum sent me to an outside link for Winnebagos. In their forum they had a whole discussion about 5 Star? (forgot already, age farts) Anyways it sounded like their tunes for about $500 improved transmission shifting and gave about a half of a mile improvement in gas mileage...
Old 08-21-2020, 06:20 AM   #3

For nothing else but the transmission shifting improvement, I'm glad I made the 5 Star Tune modification to my F53 with the 5 speed transmission. It seems that if you have a 4 or 5 speed transmission, the 5 Star Tune can make a big difference. With the newer 6 speed transmission, I'm not sure based upon fewer posts.

Here are some links for discussions:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/5-s...10-272150.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/5-st...st-252328.html
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:51 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum.

What year is your chassis???
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #5

Hi Waiter21, thanks...Just purchased a 2007 Flair; I don't pick it up till next week after they go through the inspection and ensure everything is working properly. I had sent you a note recently commending you on your blog post. I've already reviewed each one, very easy to understand and plan on doing many of the same things you've done to your rig. I'm a fellow vet as well; I was in the Air Defense and used to track you guys with our Joint Surveillance System...good memories... Rick
Old 08-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #6

Thanks SCBWR! Good reads; yes I agree anything to improve the engine or tranny I'm all for..... Rick
Old 08-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks... You probably have the 5 speed transmission. If so, you may consider the 5 star tune, This will alter the shifting points and I believe they modify throttle response. but that's about it.

If you somehow have an older chassis with the 4 speed, it would be the last year for that combination. IMHO, its fairly well optimized out of the factory.

OFF TOPIC

I flew EC/RC135s in the Air Force. On one mission we lost our IFF so NORAD sent out a couple 106's to look us over. We were dragging our VLF antenna (5 miles long) . We called NORAD on the phone from our flight deck (that blew their minds) to warn the 106's not to approach us from the rear as they would get cut in 1/2 by the antenna.

Long flights, endless alert tours. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The finest, most dedicated and patriotic people I've had the honor to be part of..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayton55 View Post
Thanks SCBWR! Good reads; yes I agree anything to improve the engine or tranny I'm all for..... Rick
I have a 2007 F53 (22K GVW) and did the 5 star tune on it. The improvement in shift pattern was awesome - no more constant down-shifting at the sight of a hill. Also, I feel it has more power, and it did improve the mileage by about a 1/2 mpg.
CONCLUSION: a 2007 (5 speed) F53 gets a big improvement from installing the 5 star tune.
Iceman-31D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #9

Thanks for the feedback; I put on my list of must-haves!
Old 08-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-31D View Post
I have a 2007 F53 (22K GVW) and did the 5 star tune on it. The improvement in shift pattern was awesome - no more constant down-shifting at the sight of a hill. Also, I feel it has more power, and it did improve the mileage by about a 1/2 mpg.
CONCLUSION: a 2007 (5 speed) F53 gets a big improvement from installing the 5 star tune.
I’ve also read that there’s also a update for the ECM on the F 53 chassis that improves shift points as well. Have you heard of that?
Old 08-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I’ve also read that there’s also a update for the ECM on the F 53 chassis that improves shift points as well. Have you heard of that?
No. Have never heard of a (factory?) ECM update that improves shifting. The 5 star tune cut the amount of shifting in a day probably down by 1/2! Huge difference in the amount of revving and noise in rolling country.
Iceman-31D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:26 AM   #12

I checked on the Ford reprogramming but it is long expired. I can't recall the original reason it was released but no matter as it is gone.

One thing to consider when "tuning" your coach is the fact that it might (probably) is a violation of Federal law. Since my coach has to go thru emissions testing every year this would be noticed.
There was a recent case concerning Bully Dog and the parent company and a huge fine and BD has to have their programs approved by the Feds and also change programs in prior sold tuners if they are connected by internet to BD.
Don't know how it affected 5 Star.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:21 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have an 05 Georgetown SE and put about 3500 miles on it before I put a 5 Star tune on it. Wow, what a difference! More power, more torque, less downshifting and just a fraction under a 10% increase in gas mileage. I don't know that I could ever cost justify the price, but man, the driving satisfaction factor just went through the roof!
Thewheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:49 AM   #14

the v10 is a great and reliable engine. unless you are hauling asphalt or rocks leave it alone. where is the rush to get somewhere faster, enjoy the ride and smell the roses.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, upgrade, v10