Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 06:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by edegenhart View Post
I would check with the Ford dealer. I have a Newmar Baystar and it has a ford F53 chassis. I bought it new and the chassis and drive train from Ford had a 3 year 50k mile warranty. You should be covered under warranty.
The F53 comes with a five year warranty...including towing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	898EDF79-A2CD-41C4-95D4-2681737BE8D7.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	306416  
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
How was the new Ford engine for noise? And is it a high revving engine like the V10 was?

Overall how did you like it....minus the wire problems of course.
Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?
Sorry, just couldn't resist.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:20 PM   #31

Hundreds of people maybe thousands are having the same problem, I think this may qualify as A FORD BETTER IDEA! It’s what happens when you out source to the lowest bidder, FRAMS OLD COMMERCIAL, PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER should’ve been what Ford was thinking. New modern thinking bean counters running the show.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyceJam View Post
I have 3 wires at Will Call at my local Ford agency. They were only $13, not the $24 as reported in the video. I haven’t had any issues, but I felt it was cheap insurance. FYI - I’ve seen them for less online, but I wanted to have them on hand and from Ford.
Pretty sure the $24 included shipping priority from Florida to Colorado.
xyzabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #33

It's hard to believe that during the testing phase for this engine this issue was not discovered. Ford either doesn't test very much , or they ignored there test results.
Typically. Rush things to market and fix your design flaws in the field..
edenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #34

Everything has been under warranty. I also have a lemon law claim filed in Florida. I'm going to give it a little wait to see if a true fix comes available.
Mikes2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #35

We love the coach. The only thing I would have changed is getting a queen bed instead of the king. I miss the nightstands
Mikes2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2000 View Post
My wife and I in June 2020 purchased a 2021 HR Vacationer 35K.
This is equipped with the new Ford 7.3 gas engine.
We purchased it in Florida, and drove it home to Illinois. 5 miles from the dealer the alternator went out. Delaying our return by 3 days.
We had a trip planned for 2 wks after we got home. A couple of days before we were to leave, I drove about 5 miles to fuel the coach. While driving there my check engine light started flashing, the motor ran rough and seemed to backfire slightly. I took it to my local Ford dealer. I was told it needed a spark module and spark plug wire. The parts were on back order, but we had them in 3 days (from another dealer). Before we were able to take our trip it happened again. And again 2 more times. After some searching there seems to be a design flaw causing the plug wires to get burned by the exhaust. Its October now, and we're still waiting for parts. A Florida lemon law case has been filed. Has anyone else had a problem with this engine?
This is just the tip of the ice berg.
Wait a few more months and see what
else they did wrong with this junk motor.
I tell everyone never purchase a first year design.
They rush into production without testing it properly.
The people who now have this junk are the test subjects.
They get stuck paying and are not able to enjoy what they are paying for. Many MH families have lost part or even all of their 2020 camping season. This is a big problem and is very sad situation FORD created by not testing.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #37
NXR

Quote:
This is a big problem and is very sad situation FORD created by not testing.

Another possibility is that one article said this is only happening on motorhomes because the motorhome manufacturers did not follow the spec for the amount of cooling air flow needed. You know, because that could never happen...

Another article said a particular vendor did not build the wires to the design spec. Perhaps it was a combination of the two conditions and that would never be caught by any testing.

Eventually it will come out definitively.

Ray
Old 10-30-2020, 11:28 PM   #38

It was in their pickup trucks first - that had nothing to do with motorhomes !
They , as usual with the big three , cost-cut way too much with a supplier - probably saved 10 cents a piece ; and now they have damaged their own reputation , for a while , as they are paying a lot more to rectify the results of poor management & QC .
I worked for a supplier of the big three for 23 years in product design. I constantly saw , first hand , 3rd world & other incompetent "engineers" they employ to cost-cut the quality right out of a good design & sit back & brag about saving 10 cents or whatever ! They wouldn't understand what quality & reliability is if it smacked them in their "who cares about the customer" / careless faces ! It doesn't matter to them when YOU are stranded out in the boonies !
( well , so much for my 23 years of aggravation & frustration ! )
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:02 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
This is just the tip of the ice berg.
Wait a few more months and see what
else they did wrong with this junk motor.
I tell everyone never purchase a first year design.
They rush into production without testing it properly.
The people who now have this junk are the test subjects.
They get stuck paying and are not able to enjoy what they are paying for. Many MH families have lost part or even all of their 2020 camping season. This is a big problem and is very sad situation FORD created by not testing.
Completely agree. NEVER buy a first year vehicle design. As a former auto mechanic, I can verify that they seldom get it right the first year. Come on Ford, you have been making gas engines for over 100 years now, bad spark plug wires, really??
Old 10-31-2020, 05:32 AM   #40

I would be very surprised if ford actually had an air flow around the engine specification . That would eliminate this engine from any marine applications. Gas engines in motorhomes definitely run hotter than pickup applications due to the constant load. But that's what testing is all about. Test in worst case condition.. that's why they do high temp testing in Arizona and cold testing way up north.
edenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenns View Post
I would be very surprised if ford actually had an air flow around the engine specification .
Only thing I can find is in the body builder layout book page 22:

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 7.52.18 AM.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	306521

https://madocumentupload.marketingas...51f10&v5=False

It references "Design recommendations - Cooling System" that I can't find in their documents.

Also looks like they just put out a service advisory to increase engine airflow on the F53 by trimming a baffle up front:

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 7.57.59 AM.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	306522

https://madocumentupload.marketingas...3478e&v5=False

You can keep up with all of this here: https://fordbbas.com/vehicleModel/F53StrippedChassis
Old 10-31-2020, 07:32 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
So is Ford doing a recall for the spark plug wires?

Dave
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, gas