Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 11:27 PM   #1

Forscan Thread for 2020+ F53

I decided to dig into using Forscan on the F53's to see if I could adjust any parameters in the computers to enable or change functionality. I will use this thread to document my findings and share info with the community.

Forscan is a software tool that can be used to interact with the ford computers in their modern vehicles. With the v8 change in 2020, the F53 picked up a lot of newer technology including a modern computer architecture. This theoretically unlocked the potential to make changes to how the vehicle is configured through a computer.

Information about Forscan here: https://forscan.org/ . Also there are good tutorials and guides on how to use the software.

There is a forum there too - but from my previous searches no one on a 2020+ has really dug into this, I was bored this weekend so figured I would take a look and see what I could uncover. Due to the Ukraine war, they have disabled the ability to register new users on the forum - so no luck in asking for guidance. I downloaded the forscan app for my windows computer and did the initial scans to see what modules appear. The following modules are installed on my 2020:
- Body Control Module
- ABS
- Steering Column Control Module
- Instrument Panel Control Module
- Gateway Module A

I started with backing up all my modules to recover if I did something dumb. You can/should also get a list of all of the addresses and settings from Ford directly with your VIN so you can revert changes as a backup plan: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

Next, you need an 'extended license' to enable modifications to the configuration in the software. Again due to the war you can't buy a license but the free 2 month trial is working so I am using that for now. Guess I have 2 months to do as much as I can.

I first started using the 'easy' mode to make changes where the software sees what is available and gives you a plain English interface to make a change. Unfortunately there wasn't much in there, and the one I tested to change the DRL configuration actually disabled my headlights all together.... wow there is a crazy amount of power in this tool - so use it wisely. So I backed out those changes. That meant I needed to manually make changes to specific addresses. But to do that I needed a legend to decipher the module addresses to figure out what is what. I looked at the forscan forum here: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4393 and saw the listing for the SuperDuty 2017+ 250/350/450 located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...s1s/edit#gid=0 and figured they would be the closest match.

My initial goal was to disable the DRL's (see follow up post below for why), but after trying a couple things on the list, it didn't work at all. I then found my mistake - there is a difference starting in 2020. So you need to work off of the '2020 SD Model BCM' tab. I am not sure if the other modules are the same - as I have only explored the 'Body Control Module/BCM' at this point.

This was successful. Fellas, we are off to the races
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 11:28 PM   #2

Procedure to Disable DRL's on 2020+ F53: Useful for people running LEDs in the headlights, or for further configuration changes like below)

To do this, the only way I have found is to simply tell the computer that the low beams are not DRL's. This does not disable the DRL logic in the computer, so while DRL's are still enabled, none of the lights are configured to be On.

In BCM:
726-41-02 xx** xxxx xxxx LowBeam_Cfg ENUM: 0=LOWBEAM_ONLY 1=LOWBEAM_WITH_DRL

So in this example, we are changing address 726-41-02 in the BCM. The only digits you will change are the 2 marked with an astericks. On yours it will be set as '01', we will be changing it to '00'

For example. Mine was configured from the factory as 2001 0100 0092 . This was then changed to 2000 0100 0091

One other thing I forgot. Always ignore the last 2 digits when making changes. This is a checksum calculation of all of the previous digits. When you make this change only change the digits marked with an astericks. When you write the change you will get a warning, ignore this and continue - this is the software indicating you didn't update the checksum values, but there is no need to do this as the software will calculate it for you. If you recheck the value after you change it, you will notice the checksum has change from 92 to 91.

After this is done, you will no longer have DRLs
Old 05-16-2022, 11:39 PM   #3

Change 2. The real reason for me wanting to disable the DRL's on my Bounder is Fleetwood put some nice LED strips below the headlights. The problem is they are only on when your parking/headlights are on, and never when the DRL's are on. In my opinion, the entire point of having those lights is so that they are the DRL instead of the headlight. However, I can see now that based on how the F53 is configured, there is no way without modifying the computers for the RV manufacture to get away from the headlight DRL, so they probably just said screw it and wired it to the parking light circuit.

BUT now that we have this fancy computer system, we can fix that

So after disabling the DRL, I needed to find a way to get the parking lights to be the DRL's, and yes I found it.

726-38-01 xxxx xxxx x*xx DRL_IncludeParklamps_Cfg ENUM: 0=DISABLE 1=ENABLE

To have the parking light circuit be the DRL In BCM: 726-38-01: 0164 0A00 00D5 was changed to 0164 0A00 01XX (Ignore the XX's for the checksum)

Now I have DRL's on my bounder and they are the fancy LED strip (parking lights are also on all the time so I guess it is a bit more than just the LED strips, but this works for me)

So far this is as far as I have gotten. If anyone has any requests I can look into things - I did find that if someone wants the DRL's on whenever the engine is running vs only when the vehicle is in gear, I can write down that change here - just let me know
Old 05-24-2022, 06:09 PM   #4

Made another change.

I have been constantly annoyed by the ambient light sensor detecting the slightest change in brightness and dimming/brightening the dash lights. I was go into a small shadow from a tree or the sun would go behind a cloud and the dash would dim for a second then it would brighten again - then repeat constantly if it wasn't super bright outside.

after digging into the ambient light sensor, it has 5 preset values.

I did some basic testing covering and uncovering the sensor.

0: Setting of '0' will adjust the dash lights after 1 second (both light to dark and dark to light). This is the OEM configuration.
1: Setting '1' does not work at all.
2: Setting '2' is what I would recommend. It will darken the dash lights after a dark condition is detected for 14 seconds. It will go from dark to light after 2 seconds.
3: Setting '3' does 2 seconds on both ways (light to dark and dark to light)
4: Setting '4' is very close to 2 and will change light to dark after 12 seconds. It will go from dark to light after 1 second.
5: Setting '5' is similar to 3 and does it both ways in 2 seconds.

I selected setting 2 and have now tested it on 2 trips. It works perfect for me. Go into a tunnel and after 14 seconds it turns the lights on/dim the dash. Come out and it turns the lights off increases dash brightness after 2 seconds.

I have not tested any of the other settings in the real world. If you want it a couple seconds shorter perhaps setting 4 would work to reduce it to 12 seconds. But I'm not sure if it works on the road.

Here is the setting I changed to value '2':
BCM: 726-37-01: 0100 640A 00D4 changed to: 0102 640A 00D6

Tags
f53