Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 09:25 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Front Tires Odd Wear Issue

I have 25,000 miles on my motorhome and yesterday in the campground I noticed that both front tires are wearing on the outside of the outside tread. The whole outside tread is not wearing; just the outer part of that tread, on both front tires. It looks like some wear is on the inside portion of the tire, but the wear is most evident on the outside section of the tires.
My actual front axle weight is 7,920 lbs. and the capacity is 9,000 lbs.
I run 80 lbs. pressure in the front tires - chart says I can run 70 lbs.
Tires are Michelin 255/80R 22.5 GXRV.
Alignment was done at about 5,000 miles, and King Pins were replaced at about 20,000 miles (do not know if it was realigned then or not).
We do drive in the mountains a lot on winding roads.
I have Centramatic tire balancers front and rear.

Any suggestions or advice? When I finish my current trip I will take it to the Ford Truck Shop for some scheduled maintenance.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wade,
If a shop changed the king pins and didn't align the front end that's a sure sign they don't know what they are doing. It is or should be required after king pin change because it is a suspension/steering part.

What's the toe setting?? You don't know because nobody has checked it or set it recently. "REMEMBER PLEASE"

There are ONLY 3 reason for an alignment. Read that statement again.

1. The last shop that aligned the vehicle didn't do it correctly or at all.
2. You or somebody hit something and bent a steering/suspension part.
3. You have some worn parts like: tie rods, king pins etc.

That's it!!!!! Nothing as far as alignment angles will change unless one of those 3 reasons.

Tire wear outside is related to the toe adjustment. The toe angle is strange. We need our tires toed in abut 1/32" of an inch per side for a total toe of 1/16". In fact it should be ZERO but it is set to toe in because as steering parts wear after 20,000 or 40,000 miles the tires will toe OUT causing outside tire wear. If we start with a very sight toe in we can drive for many miles and not see much or any tire wear. More miles and worn parts and the wear increases. We see more outer tire wear.

Camber on an f-53 chassis is another strange angle. It is a tire wear angle. It's the tilt of the tire in or out from the top as seen facing the hub cap side of the tire. It is set at the factory because to change it the axle has to be bent COLD using chains and hydraulic jacks. Most shops won't touch it. All most of us can do is live with bad camber and hope ford will step up and replace the axles. Not likely!!!!

Camber tire wear can be on either side if it is changed from factory specs. You'd have t hit a big bump to bend the axle and change camber.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks TeJay. I will have it aligned when I take it in for other maintenance when I get back home, which will be this weekend. Evidently it was not aligned after working on the king pins.
I have about 400 more miles to drive before it gets to the shop. Will it help any to increase the air pressure to about 90 lbs. in the front tires?
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:20 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wade,
It might take some pressure off the tire edges if you filled them up to maybe 90+. That will make the ride harsh. It really depends on how old the tires are. If they are close to the 7-8 years mark you could take the worn fronts off after you get home and put them in the back bringing some less edge worn tires to the front steer tires. That will give you more time.

Putting the front worn tires on the back and they will wear all across the tread. At that point the worn edges won't matter very much.

Tags
tire, tires