Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always have a toad behind me, so I average 13 mpg between them. Works for me.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 11:16 PM   #72

Air off, tail wind, speed 65, got 10 mph north on 15 in Idaho,
rare
gibbyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK2zRanch View Post
Yes. Trade in for a Mercedes Sprinter C. Our loaded View gets 16 mpg on average. As good as our Ram 1500 when it's empty. Bonus is no 57 gear changes going up ANY hill.
I have a sprinter I use for work. The mechanic at the dealership says most of the sprinter campers that come in have cracks in the unibody. (There's no frame)
Also many, many transmission problems. They weren't made to handle the weight of the camper. Just sayin....
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Drive like there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal and don't go over 55 MPH.
Driving at 55 mph has not shown any improvement for me. The torque peak on the V-10 engine is 3250 rpm. At 55 mph, the engine is bogging down too much. You[ll do just as well between 62 and 65 mph. You will have to moderate your foot so that you are not contstantly stabbing the throttle. I do not use cruise control. That will make it worse. Let the rig slow down a bit on small hills and take advantage of the downhills.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
At 55 mph, the engine is bogging down too much.
That must be annoying. 50 mph is where aerodynamics start to make a notable difference. Most people (and the federal government) tend to fudge that to 55mph. Which works. Upwards from there the wind resistance gets worse and worse. Well known rule of thumb and many folks can attest 65-70 mph nets them markedly worse mileage than 50-55. So being stuck with a big vehicle that "wants" to cruise at 65 must suck if you're trying to save fuel. I think I'd have to hit the "tow/haul" button or something. ("OD off" in older models.) But if you prefer cruising at that speed and don't mind a mileage hit then it's all good. How your engine is cammed to run and the overall gear ratio of the drivetrain don't counteract how wind resistance at speed works.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
That must be annoying. 50 mph is where aerodynamics start to make a notable difference. Most people (and the federal government) tend to fudge that to 55mph. Which works. Upwards from there the wind resistance gets worse and worse. Well known rule of thumb and many folks can attest 65-70 mph nets them markedly worse mileage than 50-55. So being stuck with a big vehicle that "wants" to cruise at 65 must suck if you're trying to save fuel. I think I'd have to hit the "tow/haul" button or something. ("OD off" in older models.) But if you prefer cruising at that speed and don't mind a mileage hit then it's all good. How your engine is cammed to run and the overall gear ratio of the drivetrain don't counteract how wind resistance at speed works.
all i can say is on hwy towin with 460.. 6.5 to 7.5 55, 60, to 75... od off or on.. no big changes,, not towing my sweet spot on highway is 65 to 70,, 8to 9 mpg..with good fuel..

blah blah...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #77

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
all i can say is on hwy towin with 460.. 6.5 to 7.5 55, 60, to 75... od off or on.. no big changes,, not towing my sweet spot on highway is 65 to 70,, 8to 9 mpg..with good fuel..

blah blah...
Sounds reasonable.
I just finished a run from Kansas city to Charleston S.C, and averaged 8.9mpg. Keeping it under 60mph, no cruise in hills, no tow, and running the 5 star tune on my 32v V10 , 35ft class A, 22K GVW. This is being very gentle with the throttle, and driving like a semi RE: gain speed downhill, lose speed uphill. Used Gasbuddy and filled for $2.10/gal average, so very economical trip! Does require a rig no bigger than this and no tow, as some of the gas stations (having price wars) were very tight and not for novice drivers! Never did see a price war on diesel. (it averaged $2.95/gal) Couldn't help but throw in a little DP bashing
Iceman-31D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:32 AM   #78

A few years ago I was looking at a used motor home a man had for sale. I had asked him several questions, then I happened to ask what I could expect on MPG. He said about 15 mpg. I thanked him and left. I figured he’d probably lied about much of the other stuff he had told me, also.
49Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:41 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Deluxe View Post
A few years ago I was looking at a used motor home a man had for sale. I had asked him several questions, then I happened to ask what I could expect on MPG. He said about 15 mpg. I thanked him and left. I figured he’d probably lied about much of the other stuff he had told me, also.
Yep. You wonder if he'd ever actually checked it. Maybe he just made up a number that sounded good.

I see you're a relatively member. Welcome aboard.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:51 PM   #80

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MPG Liars Test?

Quote:
LOL, Great, quick test for the liar/ truth; (realizing a Mercedes Diesel (might?) be up there on a Class-B?)
Old 11-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Some people have estimated fuel consumption from the gauge. Can be very inaccurate depending upon the shape of the tank.

Tags
fuel