Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to PaceMaker96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Did the mechanic spray any cleaner in the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter? if not I bet all that "stuff" is now in your new fuel filter. I'd actually think about changing once more
There is one more mechanical device that controls fuel pressure and is the fuel pressure regulator. It has a vacuum hose attached to it and its on the fuel rail.
Right next to where you check the fuel pressure.
There is no fuel pressure sensor for the computer, it will usually just show as a lean code.
As this problem was starting up again I pulled into a Ford dealership in DeQueen, AR and they replaced the filter. It had quite a bit of rust in it. Ten minutes later I was back on the road. Not 5 miles down the road the problem reoccurred... Frustrating!
PaceMaker96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #16

I wouldn't worry about the aftermarket pump. we install them all the time and have never had one fail out of the box. not to say it doesn't happen but I think the odds are about the same as a "ford" pump failing out of the box. ford doesn't make the pump they buy it from an aftermarket company so there is a chance the one you got is the same supplier as fords. back in the day companies made most of what they sold but not anymore.

at up to 5 times the cost don't have too many customers willing to buy factory, and I don't blame them I wouldn't either.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I wouldn't worry about the aftermarket pump. we install them all the time and have never had one fail out of the box. not to say it doesn't happen but I think the odds are about the same as a "ford" pump failing out of the box. ford doesn't make the pump they buy it from an aftermarket company so there is a chance the one you got is the same supplier as fords. back in the day companies made most of what they sold but not anymore.

at up to 5 times the cost don't have too many customers willing to buy factory, and I don't blame them I wouldn't either.
Many of the factory Ford pumps are made in Japan, thus the usual higher price. It is also built to their specific specs and they are a complete sender assembly and not just a pump only. When it comes to aftermarket parts, it is a crap shoot on what OEM specs they decide to adhere to if any. If by any chance that a factory Ford pump did fail, the owner can go to any Ford dealer in the USA that will work on motorhomes for 2 years for replacement of the defective part at no additional cost. Good luck getting an aftermarket company to pay for both parts and labor.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
As I said above you need to buy a fuel pressure gauge and put it on the fuel rail and leave the doghouse off and see if you are losing fuel pressure on the road or not. If you do not do this every place you get towed to is going to replace the fuel injection filter on the frame and maybe the pump in the tank.

There is a video that jamesrxx951 posted on here sometime back that shows lost of fuel pressure on the road.
It is the last post on page 4.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/1990-...-171025-4.html

Yes you do have the OBD-1 EEC-IV system and it does store codes but if you hit a battery disconnect switch you will lose the stored code. It does run most of the time in open loop and very seldom goes into closed loop as one of our other members (mpaton) has figured out for us.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe what Subford says. However with not codes stored, it may be an issue similar to one I had on my 460. The engine ground was not good. It acted similar to what you described for your. You may want to try installing a second ground strap from the engine to a good known ground point. What have you got to lose? JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #20

With your ORielys pump, it's been some time sense I got a pump from them but all pumps I did get were reboxed ford pumps. Even had the ford part number on it. You can get just the pump and you will get an aftermarket pump but if you get the complete assy you get the reboxed ford. You stated that another shop changed your fuel filter again and found it full of rust. Not good! When the dealer flushed the tank it sounds like they just rinsed it out with water and detergent. You may need to drop the tank again and have it steamed and coated inside. Many radiator shops do this. Then you may need to replace the pump and filters again.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all your helpful comments and suggestions! I failed two mention to things: 1) the MH has a Banks power system designed for the Ford 460 engine 2) this whole thing started the first time after the cruise control set to 60 shifted way down because of a steeper than I thought hill. I took it out of cc right away.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can also check for that clogged exhaust system with a vacuum gauge attached while you are running, if it's clogged you will loose vacuum while it dies out then back off the throttle a bit and vacuum will increase a bit the same as you described but now you will have a little bit of a mechanical indicator with the gauge.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
You can also check for that clogged exhaust system with a vacuum gauge attached while you are running, if it's clogged you will loose vacuum while it dies out then back off the throttle a bit and vacuum will increase a bit the same as you described but now you will have a little bit of a mechanical indicator with the gauge.
Does your exhaust sound like a jet engine? If not I dought with the banks system that your exhaust is plugged. Plugged exhaust would give you symptoms all the time, not after 1/2 hr running. Could be during your incline event some rust shifted in the fuel tank.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #24

Another thing you might check. Check your ignition timing. Ford in there infinite wisdom installed a steel dist drive gear driven by a steel cam. A tooth may have broken causing your timing to be off. The ECM will compensate for this untell the contacts in the dist cap unalign.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Does your exhaust sound like a jet engine?
Good thought.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Does your exhaust sound like a jet engine?
No, it doesn't.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #27

Lots of rust....sounds like the dealer didn't really clean the tank!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Lots of rust....sounds like the dealer didn't really clean the tank!
and/Or they may have 20 feet or rusted fuel line between the tank and filter.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, fuel