Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #1

Fuel Tank Access

I have a 1996 Itaska 34' Is it possible to access the fuel tank under the rear bed. I wouldent mind cutting a hole in the floor. After 4 months storage, Eng would not start. Acts like the fuel pump. Any help would be welcomed.
PORSCHE928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #2

If you knew exactly where to cut the hole, I see no reason why you couldn't. I would suspect though trying to find the exact location where to cut would be some what challenging, anyway it would be for me----LOL

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #3

Fuel Tank Access

Before cutting a hole I would be looking for a bad connection or a corroded connection under the hood at the solenoid, relay or wiring harness, had a friend with same problem, ended towing it to a shop all they found was a bad connection under the hood the connecton had turned to a green color it also was a Ford.
Ronald G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is this a class "A" F53?

If so a lot of times the black water tank is between the floor of the RV and the fuel tank, if you would have to take the black water tank out to get to it.

Also turn on the key and short pin#2 to pin#6 of the EEC self-test plug and see if the fuel pump relay clicks and the fuel pump runs.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #5

I had a fuel line on the gen. come off my 95 F53 chassis so I cut a hole in the floor right over the fuel pump to get to it. Now all I have to do is lift the carpet to change the pump or hoses
I put a metal cover over the whole screw down, then the rug. There is 8 in. between floor and metal plate over tank and lots of room in there. I used an air nippers-cuter to cut metal over gas tank.
Did not drop the tank.
gary peterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #6

Gary. what technique did you use to find exactly where to make the hole in the floor?

It sounds like a great idea and more cost effective than having to drop the tank.

Thanks, Jim

Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
I also have cut an 11" square access hatch in the floor, directly above the fuel pump. On my rig, its below the rear bed. Sure makes fuel pump repairs easy, no need to find a place to store 50 gallons of gas! And the pump can be changed out in a campground, in less than an hour.
Jagtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #8

I used the side window as a reference spot, then measure from there.I could see the top of the tank where the hoses went in.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #9

"I used the side window as a reference spot, then measure from there.I could see the top of the tank where the hoses went in"

OK thanks, I'm not sure on our 2000 whether I have enough room between the top of the tank and the floor where I can see where the hoses connect, but will check it out at a future date.

Thanks again for the tip.