Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
TOMFEN,
That's a heck of a good idea. I've got a couple of sprayers that are not used for much anymore and that would work great as a pump devoted to just that. Always a new way to skin a cat.

Thanks for sharing,
TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I second TeJay. Wonderful idea, TOMFEN! I too have an old sprayer in my shed. Thanks.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMFEN View Post
I have found the easiest way to put the oil in is to use a garden sprayer.

I found the easiest way to put oil in is to hire the mobile mechanic and hand him a check.

But, I change the oil myself and just use the hose mentioned above with the big bottles of oil.

I drain my oil with an EZ-Oil drain valve with a hose end adapter. It's the nickel plated Fumoto.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
As an addition to TOMFEN's innovative use of the garden sprayer, which I intend to adopt forthwith, here's a couple added wrinkles others might want to try.

I'm sure it is common knowledge for many DIY oil changers, especially if you have ever tried an outdoor oil change in the winter: immerse the plastic oil bottles in a bucket of hot water for a few minutes to reduce the oil's viscosity. This will speed up it's passage through filter screens and tubes connected to funnels, like the one I have been using, and the cap and tube atodalen uses, and I imagine will really help shoot the oil through the garden sprayer hose more easily, as well as the tubes some owners use with powered transfer pumps.

However, I'm going to skip the water bath and spray-paint my soon-to-be-modified TOMFEN garden sprayer tank flat black. Then I can pour the correct quantity of oil into the tank, close it up and let it sit in the direct sunshine for a while. No water or fuel to heat it needed.

The other mod I'm going to make to TOMFEN's idea is to use a small plastic spring-clamp, (got 'em cheap at HF) or even a big plastic clothes pin, in place of a twist tie to keep the sprayers valve handle open. I already use this technique on my power washer wand to give my poor arthritic knuckles a break on long cleaning jobs since it's valve lock does not work. Easy on, easy off with one hand and a lot quicker than a twist tie.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote