RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #1

G or H rated tires on Ford F53 18,000 Chassis

What are most of you running on your Ford 18,000# chassis from a tire rating perspective? I have H rated steer tires that need to be replaced and often wonder if I should go to a G rated tire for a more forgiving ride. In addition to a softer ride there would be less weight per tire, it all adds up. Plus, I have never been able to get these tires to run smoothly from a balance perspective, which makes me wonder about the extra heavy tire on this chassis.
Thoughts?
Agility57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #2

I think your messing with safety with a G rated tire...maximum speed is up to 56mph versus H rated up to 130 mph. On top of that, the load rating must be considered as well...again, going less on the load rating than manufacturer specified would be a safety issue.
I would stick with tire specifications to match the vehicle. If you exceed the specification, thats fine.

I have an 2018 Explorer Platinum which had Hankook S1Noble2 (OEM) tires H-Rated, same load rating.The Hankook tires stink IMO. After researching options, I went with Continental DWS V-rated. A much quieter tire and smoother on the highway.....cost just a bit less than the Hankooks.

Dont go for cheaper. Your safety is worth the proper tire.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Snake View Post
I think your messing with safety with a G rated tire...maximum speed is up to 56mph versus H rated up to 130 mph. On top of that, the load rating must be considered as well...again, going less on the load rating than manufacturer specified would be a safety issue.
I would stick with tire specifications to match the vehicle. If you exceed the specification, thats fine.

I have an 2018 Explorer Platinum which had Hankook S1Noble2 (OEM) tires H-Rated, same load rating.The Hankook tires stink IMO. After researching options, I went with Continental DWS V-rated. A much quieter tire and smoother on the highway.....cost just a bit less than the Hankooks.

Dont go for cheaper. Your safety is worth the proper tire.

I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about load range, and you're talking about speed ranting.
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaton View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about load range, and you're talking about speed ranting.

I see he is referring to load range. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:57 PM   #5

Intriguing discussion. My Ford F53 is a 19,500 GVWR and I use "E" rated tires. Because the only G tires in 16" size are for trailers. Guessing this thread is meant for owners of a somewhat different chassis from mine?
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:32 PM   #6

I don't understand at all????
The letter designates the tire speed rating, with truck tires being rated for an L? correct?
The number rating designates its load carrying capacity, whereas the load range letter just identifies how many plies the tire has.
https://rvtires.com/tire-load-capacity/?v=7516fd43adaa
Old 10-01-2020, 04:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility57 View Post
What are most of you running on your Ford 18,000# chassis from a tire rating perspective? I have H rated steer tires that need to be replaced and often wonder if I should go to a G rated tire for a more forgiving ride. In addition to a softer ride there would be less weight per tire, it all adds up. Plus, I have never been able to get these tires to run smoothly from a balance perspective, which makes me wonder about the extra heavy tire on this chassis.
Thoughts?
Clarification to the term rating, which is typically a speed term in passenger car tires. I meant to refer to load range for RV and truck tires.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:45 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Load range H tires on an 18K lbs. chassis is a bit of overkill considering the chassis axle capacities. Drop back to load range G tires or even F range if you want. Both load ranges, G and F, have more capacity than the axles.

I'm currently running Uniroyal RS20 load range G tires since March that replace a set of Kelly Armorsteel load range G tires that replaced what Ford installed way back when that were replaced two days after driving the coach home. Per both manufactures inflating to 80 psi cold gives tires more capacity than the axles.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Clarification to the term rating, which is typically a speed term in passenger car tires. I meant to refer to load range for RV and truck tires.
an option in the 16 size are in the 225/75/16.. look for the 120/121 casing profiles,, made for the newer sprinter and such vans, commercial vehicles..

these are listed under most "e" range searches but have a (C) at the end, i guess commercial.. they are a heavier construction and carry extar weight safely..

Thread pattern and brands are limited but are increasing..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Load range H tires on an 18K lbs. chassis is a bit of overkill considering the chassis axle capacities. Drop back to load range G tires or even F range if you want. Both load ranges, G and F, have more capacity than the axles.

I'm currently running Uniroyal RS20 load range G tires since March that replace a set of Kelly Armorsteel load range G tires that replaced what Ford installed way back when that were replaced two days after driving the coach home. Per both manufactures inflating to 80 psi cold gives tires more capacity than the axles.
i assume the ride would be softer on the G tires than the overkill H tires?
Old 10-01-2020, 06:43 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
i assume the ride would be softer on the G tires than the overkill H tires?
why i think the 120/121 ratings are a nic e choice.. firmer but not a rock..

weights are here https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tire-...ire-load-index
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:50 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It seems to me that without knowing what size tires he has on his motorhome all anyone can do is speculate. The OP doesn't tell us what year his chassis is nor tire size.

Load range is relative to tire size.

To the original poster. What year is your motorhome and what size tire does it have on it?
Old 10-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
It seems to me that without knowing what size tires he has on his motorhome all anyone can do is speculate. The OP doesn't tell us what year his chassis is nor tire size.

Load range is relative to tire size.

To the original poster. What year is your motorhome and what size tire does it have on it?
19.5 tire size. 2004 Fleetwood
Old 10-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm running 6 Roadmaster 245/70R19.5 14 ply load range G on my GVWR 20,500.

These replaced the original Goodyear G159 load range F.

I'm not sure on a 2004 but my 2000 has the common issue at that time of the wheels not centering on the hub. You have to fiddle with it when tightening the wheels or there will be too much wheel run out causing vibrations.

Tags
chassis, f53, ford, tires