Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #1

No I am not out of gas I had 3/4 tank showing last week now it is empty.
OK so I checked fuses all good, I checked wires all the way to the tank from the gauge they are all good. Checked ground all good.

Drained 45 Gallons out of tank and dropped tank to the ground. Found the float was full of gas!
And found my gas line to the genset was all rotten and cracked.
I guess I will replace the in tank pump and float and may as well clean the tank too. Oh and I will replace the 16 year old genset fuel line too and fuel filters.
Odd how something will work for 16 years and then just stop one day.
I wonder what that pump will cost me?

Anyone know of any other things I should look at while the tank is down?

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #2

No I am not out of gas I had 3/4 tank showing last week now it is empty.
OK so I checked fuses all good, I checked wires all the way to the tank from the gauge they are all good. Checked ground all good.

Drained 45 Gallons out of tank and dropped tank to the ground. Found the float was full of gas!
And found my gas line to the genset was all rotten and cracked.
I guess I will replace the in tank pump and float and may as well clean the tank too. Oh and I will replace the 16 year old genset fuel line too and fuel filters.
Odd how something will work for 16 years and then just stop one day.
I wonder what that pump will cost me?

Anyone know of any other things I should look at while the tank is down?

DFW, Texas
Old 04-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #3

Hi Doug,

In Feb 2004 I had fuel supply problems doing the long, relatively gentle climb from Blythe to the top of the pass (by where the Gen Patton museum is located) on I-10.

We stopped for lunch at the rest stop and 45 minutes later, the engine just didn't want to run smoothly or take a load. Called CoachNet who suggested I sleep there that night (it being a Sunday) and if the engine was still not right next morning to call and I'd be towed.

Next morning, it ran like a Timex-all the way to Hemet, CA. The Ford dealership there ran some tests on the pump--I think pressure and flow through--and said the pump had failed on all counts.

I had purchased an extended warranty, so the new pump--drain and drop the tank, etc. was done, and a new pump installed.

I was at about 47,000 miles and thought this somewhat unusual. The service advisor there said he'd made replacements at as low as 30K miles--the original pumps being somewhat finicky.

I've had the genset fuel filters changed each year and the techies have made no comment about the condition of the fuel line.

Oh, service advisor's advice was not to let the tank go much below half full as the pumps tend to get hot without the fuel cooling(???).

Best,

Doug

Banks PowerPack & Transcommand
DougJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:50 PM   #4

Yes my pump did not fail but my gauge did, figure I might as well change the pump while I am in it. The genset fuel line is very cracked and brittle but it still works. This Texas heat will fry about anything thats rubber.
I have no warrenty so its all out of pocket for me.
The last 30 days I have spent $1000 for new tires, $1100 for roof recover and shower skylite replacement, $1000 for the dash air AC compressor and other componants replacement, and now this little gas problem. Maybe I will get this old Winne squared away soon.

By the way good to hear from you again Doug!

DFW, Texas
Old 04-11-2006, 07:54 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe I will get this old Winne squared away soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, Doug, MHs, boats, small planes: they are all the same, varying only in the size of sinkhole for money . But if we'd been worried about that, we wouldn't have bought our toy.

I'm just back from my Winnie dealer leaving about $1,300 Cdn behind: find and fix a roof leak; check out the furnace (a previous thread); replace the house batteries that were toast; install a MaxAir fan/vent.

Now I'm thinking I want a pure sine wave innverter / charger to replace the original converter charger.

Just a few more things to go before I get this old Winnie squared away .

Doug

BTW, why the roof recover? My techies say my roof's just fine, so I wonder what they might be missing .

Old 04-11-2006, 08:37 AM   #6

The Roof well it had some minor hail damage before I got it. So I am noticing some very minor signs of water on one of the overhead cabinets right after a rain. Got the ladder out and went up to look and found some small holes corrodid in the bottom of each hail dimmple. So I just had it rolled twice with roof coating to stop the tiny leaks. The skylite also had some cracks in it so I replaces it for that.

DFW, Texas
Old 04-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Roof well it had some minor hail damage before I got it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I don't think our roof has been hailed on--guess that's a plus

Doug

Old 04-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #8

Ok to fix the gauge and change the pump with a new OEM pump from ford tax title labor & Parts cost me $620.00 the pump was $340.00 of that cost. I know they made a little off the pump cost but the rest was not so bad I thought!
Anyway the old Winne is back in game!

DFW, Texas
Old 04-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway the old Winne is back in game! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to hear that the old Winnie is once again up and running. The cost you quote sounds reasonable to me. Mine was done under warranty so my quicken records don't show the cost of the pump or labour.

We're off to Toronto this week and come back on May 1. Then on May 15 we leave in the rig to go to Cashmere, WA, for the northwest regional WIT rally.

Take care,

Doug