Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Gear shift lever stuck in reverse

Pulled into a rest area for lunch. After coming to a stop, went to shift into park and thought it was there but after I took my foot off the brake RV started rolling backward. Put my foot back on the brake tried to move gear shift lever but it's jammed in reverse. When I pushed the accelerator RV moved back so it's in reverse gear. Had it towed with drive shaft disconnected to Ford dealer, it's still under warranty. 2017 Newmar Baystar Sport. Anyone else ever have the gear shift lever stuck in gear? Any ideas to what could have happened? Will find out tomorrow what dealer says.
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtibb View Post
Any ideas to what could have happened?
Well, it could be several things. FWIW, I don't think it will be anything serious. I think it will turn out to be a small adjustment of some sort like, a loose bolt, linkage tweak, a control reset, maybe ignition switch issue, low on ATF or something along those lines. At least I hope that's the case. There was previous case I read where a guy had the same kind of issue on his f53 chassis. He said, if you turn the key one click then put it in neutral then start, it will then go to drive. It turned out to be a solenoid issue of some sort.

But anyway, instead of us guessing or suggesting some possible wild goose chase to send you on, and since you're getting a report tomorrow anyway, please come back and give us an update tomorrow on what they found. It could help the next guy. I'm personally very interested in what they tell you.

BTW…just to make it easier on yourself in the future, put—detailed information—of your rig by creating a signature. That way you won't have to type this information each time in all your future posts
You create a signature by:
1) Go to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH, Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed, your toad and so on. You’ll be limited to 3 lines unless you become a IRV2 supporter.

Good luck tomorrow my friend.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Well, it could be several things. FWIW, I don't think it will be anything serious. I think it will turn out to be a small adjustment of some sort like, a loose bolt, linkage tweak, a control reset, maybe ignition switch issue, low on ATF or something along those lines. At least I hope that's the case. There was previous case I read where a guy had the same kind of issue on his f53 chassis. He said, if you turn the key one click then put it in neutral then start, it will then go to drive. It turned out to be a solenoid issue of some sort.

But anyway, instead of us guessing or suggesting some possible wild goose chase to send you on, and since you're getting a report tomorrow anyway, please come back and give us an update tomorrow on what they found. It could help the next guy. I'm personally very interested in what they tell you.

BTW…just to make it easier on yourself in the future, put—detailed information—of your rig by creating a signature. That way you won't have to type this information each time in all your future posts
You create a signature by:
1) Go to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH, Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed, your toad and so on. You’ll be limited to 3 lines unless you become a IRV2 supporter.

Good luck tomorrow my friend.
Yeah, I hope it's something simple. As for the signature, I use the mobile app and it is disabled in the settings with no way to enable it. I did add info though under my username.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #4

Update: was told that cable connecting shifter to transmission popped out of holder/clamp in steering column
Old 02-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

Thanks for reporting back.

Yep I suspected as much. Easy fix.

You're good to go now right?

FYI...It would be a good idea to right now while you're thinking about it, is get under the chassis and put some marks on your drive shaft "U" joints. I took an old can of spray paint and marked mine. Why? Because, your drive shaft is balanced for your rig, and like in your case where the tow guys pulled the drive shaft to tow, it needs to go back together exactly the same way. The paint marks insure that it's aligned and assembled back correctly.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:52 AM   #6

Quote:

FYI...It would be a good idea to right now while you're thinking about it, is get under the chassis and put some marks on your drive shaft "U" joints. I took an old can of spray paint and marked mine. Why? Because, your drive shaft is balanced for your rig, and like in your case where the tow guys pulled the drive shaft to tow, it needs to go back together exactly the same way. The paint marks insure that it's aligned and assembled back correctly.
Drive shaft is not balanced specifically for a particular vehicle.The balancing is on the shaft only. Most important is when 2 piece shaft is used is assembling the 2 sections in phase.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:10 AM   #7

Quote:

Drive shaft is not balanced specifically for a particular vehicle.The balancing is on the shaft only. Most important is when 2 piece shaft is used is assembling the 2 sections in phase.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote