Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2022, 02:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Geez, now what?

Need some friendly tire advice, see pic. During a routine walk-around this morning, I found a screw in my left rear inner dually . This is a 2014 Ford F53, 20,500lbs. chassis, with Michelin XZE's all around.

-My TPMS is not showing any loss of pressure
-I do not know the length of the screw, should I take it out?
-I need to top of my rear tire pressures, now I'm hesitating

Any input would be deeply appreciated.

Kindly,

-Bob

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left rear inner Mich XZE.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	381739  
Kunkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2022, 02:22 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wound not pull it out. It may be helping to seal the hole to some extent. Sort of like a body puncture, leave it in until medical help removes it.

With it being in the center of the tread the tire should be repairable. I'd be getting it to a tire shop for repairs.

Good luck
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:28 PM   #3

^^^^^as he said...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:29 PM   #4

Bob,

I would leave it in.

Drive to the parking lot of a place that can repair it if it is a puncture.

Mark where it is on the tire.

Remove it.

With the help of the tech, determine if a patch is needed.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:52 PM   #5

Old mechanic n tire guy here. Take some dish soap and mix about 50/50 with water, and paint around the screw head if the screw has penetrated the carcass you'll get bubbles, no bubbles back the screw out a turn or two and paint it again and check, no bubbles take it all the way out and check it again. No bubbles you're good, watch the tire pressure for a couple days and run. If you get bubbles, then you gotta see the tire guy and get it patched from the inside--no plugs unless it is a patch plug that installs fron inside the tire.

The location in the rib of the tread like that it is most likely the screw did not penetrate the carcass. I have removed lots of screws from tires that were just too short to penetrate the carcass.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:53 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's possible that screw is short enough it's not going all the way thru the tread.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #7

Of course it has to be the inner tire.

Do the checks as posted above. No real big deal if it goes flat. One of the advantages of having a dually. I'd deal with it ASAP though.

Do you carry a compressor? Nice thing to have in a situation like this. Been there. Done that in the wilds of Newfoundland this summer.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:31 PM   #8

If you decide to take it out at some point, if it is longer than the depth of the tread left...I don't think I would just forget about it even if the is no sign of leakage.

if the old timers say it is OK and they have a pretty good majority, well it's your decision.

But I know a lot of old timers I have driven with, captained with, flown with ad lived with that I never believe for a second.

Takes a lot of research beyond their suggestion before I would chance even inconvenience on the road.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
Old mechanic n tire guy here. Take some dish soap and mix about 50/50 with water, and paint around the screw head if the screw has penetrated the carcass you'll get bubbles, no bubbles back the screw out a turn or two and paint it again and check, no bubbles take it all the way out and check it again. No bubbles you're good, watch the tire pressure for a couple days and run. If you get bubbles, then you gotta see the tire guy and get it patched from the inside--no plugs unless it is a patch plug that installs fron inside the tire.

The location in the rib of the tread like that it is most likely the screw did not penetrate the carcass. I have removed lots of screws from tires that were just too short to penetrate the carcass.
X2!
Old 11-29-2022, 04:03 PM   #10

Quote:

Follow this.

If you keep driving you risk poking multiple holes in the inner core.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:04 PM   #11
US1

Unscrew it and determine the screw length. If it leaks, put it back in and arrange to have it repaired. Nothing to loose. Doesnt appear to have been in long, head is still fully intact. Id be more concerned about it being driven further into the tire and creating a leak by continuing to drive on it if its not leaking now.
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Unscrew it and determine the screw length. If it leaks, put it back in and arrange to have it repaired. Nothing to loose. Doesnt appear to have been in long, head is still fully intact. Id be more concerned about it being driven further into the tire and creating a leak by continuing to drive on it if its not leaking now.

This!
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, first off. Are these the original tires that came on the MH? If they are then they are due to be changed out anyway. They have reached EOL. No matter what they need to be looked at by a tire professional.
Mark the tire so it is easy to find and get it to the tire shop ASAP.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:44 PM   #14

Quote:
. . . get it patched from the inside--no plugs unless it is a patch plug that installs fron inside the tire.
I've plugged many tires from the outside, but I'm no tire guy. Are plugs not good to use?

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote