Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Giving up on replacement headlights, HID?

So I think that its time to give up on looking into replacement headlights that look anything other than stock. I have searched google and come upon dozens of people who have these headlights (used in late 80, early 90s) in ford trucks and other RVs, and nobody seems to have anything other than a less opaque version (clear signal markers excluded).

So then, being it resolved that these headlights are crap, and I cannot constantly run my light bar due to oncoming traffic and by-laws, will a HID kit allow me to see more of what is immediately in front of me?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...29458982099204

this is basically the headlight I have
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 06:40 AM   #2

There's a wide variety of replacement halogen bulbs (although not always on the shelf) including different colour temps and wattages.

We used to run the slightly bluer white bulbs (IIRC they were called 'ultra-white) and the next step higher power, 60w low beam and 75 watt high beam I think.

It made a huge difference seeing ahead of you on the open highway and even made a difference lighting up moose or deer in the ditch or beyond slight curves.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #3

hid

I put hid on mine did make big difference can not see alot farther but did make good light in front of rv I put 8000
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #4

Note that using HID in a non-projector housing is not DOT-approved.

The elements in an HID bulb are not always the same distance from the mounting surface, so the projected light is not always in a location designed by the manufacturer.

Park in front of your garage door and look for a good cutoff. If there's a good cutoff on Low and you're not blinding oncoming drivers, then you're probably not going to run into any problems. If you have a lot of stray light, go back to the halogens.

I wish I could find some glass or projector housings for my F350. :(
Old 04-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might want to read up more on putting HIDs in a conventional housing.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

I have the same foggy Ford headlights and the most I would do is buy new ones and install a decent halogen bulb.
Another thing to check is how much voltage is actually getting to the headlights. Many motorhomes have small wire feeding the headlights and too much voltage loss. An aftermarket wiring harness with relays feeding direct from the battery will make a huge difference in brightness. I did this recently to my old Jeep Cherokee and the difference was dramatic. Proper aiming is also key.

BTW, the Kelvin ratings you see advertised like 5K, 6K, 8K etc are a color rating and have nothing to do with brightness. Usually, once you get above 6K the color gets rather blue and you start losing visibility and start blinding oncoming traffic.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #6

I'm looking into retrofitting the front clip of my '92 to install an '07 grille and headlight buckets. Instead of the cloudy plastic fantastic trapezoid lights, '07 buckets allow one to use common 7" x 6" sealed beam glass or semi-sealed projector housings that are actually designed to work with HID lamps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-03-07-Ec...f760d1&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E150-E2...7785f9&vxp=mtr

Sealed beams (glass):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-Bu...21b898&vxp=mtr

Projector housings:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7x6-DIAMOND-...e7c567&vxp=mtr

Plus it makes the chassis look a bit more modern.

anyone see a downside?
Old 04-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I'm looking into retrofitting the front clip of my '92 to install an '07 grille and headlight buckets. Instead of the cloudy plastic fantastic trapezoid lights, '07 buckets allow one to use common 7" x 6" sealed beam glass or semi-sealed projector housings that are actually designed to work with HID lamps.

Fit 03 07 Econoline E150 E250 E350 E450 E550 Chrome Gray w Emblem Used Grille | eBay

Ford E150 E250 E350 Headlight Bezel Left 1992 2007 | eBay

Sealed beams (glass):
Headlight Bulb Halogen SEALED Beam Boxed Wagner Lighting H6054 | eBay

Projector housings:
7x6 Diamond Square Projector Headlights H4 H6054 Conversion | eBay

Plus it makes the chassis look a bit more modern.

anyone see a downside?
If you were to do that, you should get a set of HALOs. That would certainly modernize it some.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Diam.../dp/B005OLA2YY

Unfortunately I have these

I have searched on truck and rv forums, google, tuners, I cant seem to find anyone who has managed to overcome the sheer monstrosity of these housings lol.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
If you were to do that, you should get a set of HALOs. That would certainly modernize it some.
I'm not opposed to HALO or some other sort of LED daytime running lamps.

Quote:
Amazon.com: 7" x 6" Universal H6054 Halo Diamond Cut Crystal Housing Projector Headlights: Automotive

Unfortunately I have these

I have searched on truck and rv forums, google, tuners, I cant seem to find anyone who has managed to overcome the sheer monstrosity of these housings lol.
Is that an OEM F-series application?

Edit: Search tells me it's a ~1990 F-series headlight. Doesn't look like the aftermarket got too excited about them. Could you find someone to make you a bezel so you could run a 7x6" headlight in its place?

Tags
light, lights, replacement, replace, ace