Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Godzilla does NOT slow down....

He's only working around in a 31' Newmar @18-19,000 lbs, but I'll tell you what, this engine pulls well.

There are some pretty decent long grades in the hills of Missouri where I was last week. On a long uphill, it will downshift once, then twice and accelerate back up to what ever is set in cruise control. It will make some pretty good big V-8 noises in 4th(not unbearable to me). Ford did a good job on this. I hope I still believe that 100,000 miles from now.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2021, 07:50 PM   #2

Thanks for the info. I just ordered an F-350 with that engine and 4.30 gears. Looking for a FW around 35FT. and under 15,000 lbs. I'm hoping to be able to stay within all the numbers.
CAMPER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:59 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
With your numbers, I'd guess you'll have similar results.

Having said that, you can "chip it" and gain 100+ HP/ Torque with 500 rpm more.

The V-10 guys should be chiming in any minute. I've not owned a V-10, Enlighten me, please. They've been built for 20 years, and are widely available at a lower price point, I'm sure.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #4

I do enjoy the v8. Pickup a 35' 22k last week. It does get loud when rev'ed - but coming from an older 18k chassis to the 22k chassis, the v8 doesn't feel THAT much faster. I'm sure it is, but since I'm lugging around more weight it balances out.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack73 View Post
I do enjoy the v8. Pickup a 35' 22k last week. It does get loud when rev'ed - but coming from an older 18k chassis to the 22k chassis, the v8 doesn't feel THAT much faster. I'm sure it is, but since I'm lugging around more weight it balances out.
Yea, I had the Chevy 8.1 in my last MH and now I have the V-10
Not any difference that I can really feel. I doubt the new Ford V-8 is any different.
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2020 Newmar Canyon Star 3710, which is 38' long & on a F-53 26,000 GVWR chassis, & a V-10! It performed pretty well, but I added the "Ford Ultratune" from Ultra RV and it made a substantial difference! I'm not sure about all the "HP" increase claims, nor the "fuel mileage" claim, but I do know it had to help the torque situation, & the transmission shift points!
Why, because it does accelerate much better when getting up to speed, turns about 250 fewer "RPM's" at the same road speed; but upshifts & downshifts fewer times under load, such as going up a decent grade, or on a mountain!
I do know, it did not improve fuel mileage! 6.8-7.2 towing a GMC Terrain, & 8.2-8.5 not towing. Overall improvement on a 1-5 scale; I'd rate it 3.5 to 4.0!

Had an '04 Newmar Mountain Aire 38' on a 22,000 GVWR Workhorse chassis with the GM 8.1 engine, no engine performance chip(all stock), but had a 4 speed Allison trans. It felt slower accelerating to speed, but going down the highway, felt like it had as much power as the V-10. It did downshift & upshift more frequently, but that was due to a 4 speed vs. a 6 speed trans.

I have been a "GM GUY" all my life, but must admit that the V-10 has been very impressive overall. Especially the "RPM" range when using the transmission brake coming down a mountain! Inadvertantly, it was turning like 6200 til I got the damn thing slowed back down (that's another story for another day) !

All in all the Ford V-10 has become a proven engine in the RV industry.

And I would hope that the 7.3 V-8 will every bit as good, if not better!
Time will tell!

Hope this helps a bit, as it is just another perspective of the engines & their performance!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:51 PM   #7

Why is it that auto manufacturers will work for 10, 15 or 20 years working all the bugs out of something and then just discontinue it once they finally get it right.

The V-10 is not the only example of that kind of thinking.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #8

[QUOTE=hohenwald48;5744409]Why is it that auto manufacturers will work for 10, 15 or 20 years working all the bugs out of something and then just discontinue it once they finally get it right.

I will turn that around: If in 10-20 years they can't develop a better product, something "just ain't rite" (ya that is a Texas ting)

While the V10 is a proven product, I have never understood the reasoning of using a smaller displacement/higher RPM engine for heavy vehicles. Sports cars, sure. But, for heavy loads, displacement and low RPM is your friend.

I actually applaud Ford for investing the R&R for a "purpose designed" engine for heavy vehicles.