Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2021, 03:53 AM   #29

Thanks for this info, it is appreciated.
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #30

Grand Design Owners Club
I always run in tow haul mode and even put a label on the dash to remind me. I like that it helps to slow the RV down on downgrades when I have the cruise on. And since I keep it under 65 to comply with the CRV road requirements it also helps to keep my in that envelope.
So far I love the Godzilla even with the spark plug wire issue. I came from a GM 8.1 and this is a much smoother, quieter ride.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Let me bring this thread back to the 7.3. It is as smooth as silk, purrs like a cat, and stays in 6th gear most of the time. I love that the information display shows you which gear the transmission is in.
My V10 does exactly all that but I am jealous of your gear display and ability to select and stay in whatever gear you want. I have a ScanGauge 2 but can't get it to display what gear I'm in.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
I always run in tow haul mode and even put a label on the dash to remind me. I like that it helps to slow the RV down on downgrades when I have the cruise on. And since I keep it under 65 to comply with the CRV road requirements it also helps to keep my in that envelope.
So far I love the Godzilla even with the spark plug wire issue. I came from a GM 8.1 and this is a much smoother, quieter ride.
I never use tow haul, but maybe I don’t fully understand it. I tried it once in the MH but didn’t notice a difference. I don’t pull a toad and in the 1500 miles I have driven in the upper Midwest, have not seen many large hills. My experience in using tow haul comes from an earlier F350 and now F150 when pulling a trailer. I did not like the higher shift pattern. I am always using cruise control and didn’t like higher engine rev in a lower gear on hill or windy day. Is it better for the engine and tranny to be in lower gear with higher rev for longer periods? When using CC, my truck, and I think the MH does downshift automatically when coming down hills. What will I gain with tow haul?
Old 08-19-2021, 03:44 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
Even when you are not in Tow/Haul if you have the cruise set the transmission will downshift to keep the speed near the cruise setting. Just a few days ago we were in the Pocono mountains with the cruise set at 65 and a few times the transmission downshifted, once all the way down to 4th. We only use the Tow/Haul when we want more aggressive braking. We also have a 2020 Chevy Sonic and the 6 speed on that thing is amazing.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:05 AM   #34

Grand Design Owners Club
Well. According to the Ford manual Tow Haul
Also helps to keep the transmission cooler. And since I’m carrying around 13 tons of combined load then maybe “tow haul” applies.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote