Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Godzilla mileage....10.9 today

Instead of 65mph and 8.2 mpg on the freeway.....

I took the freeway access road and drove 50mph (the posted speed limit , btw). It rang up 10.9 mpg. No tolls and no freeway tailgaters either.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Sometimes slow and steady will win the race.

Better mileage, less stress, and you can look at the scenery as you peacefully cruise along.

Speed kills, among other things, mileage.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've driven all my RVs at 55 for 20+ years. When most say the get 6-8 mpg I get 2+ better mpg. Never in a rush. Leave early, get in early, won't travel in packs, never tailgate, anticipate hills and stops. Avoid headwinds.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'll never see that mileage. Although I I don't drive 50 or 55 it just seem to make a big difference with my coach.

I decided to slow it down this trip usually driving below the posted speed limit. On the last ~1000 miles I've driven Hwy 2 east, the speeds on this were 65 max and usually lower, I drove below the posted speed limit pretty much the whole way. I've averaged 7.6 mpg.

On the 1300 mile trip out west I didn't do the posted speed limit but usually averaged 65mph, and only averaged 7.3. Not a big difference.

Today I pissed off a bunch of people driving south on HWY 51 in Wisconsin driving 55 the posted speed limit. This was on a 2 lane Hwy with limited passing capability. In the smaller towns I actually pulled off and let anyone behind me pass, did this at least twice.

But I wasn't in a hurry and enjoyed the scenery and drive.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:19 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
People that want to go faster than me especially on 2 lanes it's their problem. I drive 55 almost all the time, except on OK turnpikes the minimum is 60. Just too bad.
Today in TX hill country the speed limit was 70, but that is way too fast for any RV in so many hills and twisty roads. I held up many cars, and no where to to pull off to let them pass.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:38 AM   #6

No judgement zone here, but I like to do 65 (assuming the speed limit is that high). I've got a lot of truck and a little trailer and could easily do over 70, but I'm not in any hurry. IMHO doing significantly under the speed limit (55 in a 70) creates a host of other problems because you're interrupting steady traffic flow. But, that's just me
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjetlag View Post
Instead of 65mph and 8.2 mpg on the freeway.....

I took the freeway access road and drove 50mph (the posted speed limit , btw). It rang up 10.9 mpg. No tolls and no freeway tailgaters either.

Not enough information to judge if this is real information.
I can get 15 miles per gallon for a short distance all DOWN HILL driving.
That is fake information and when the dealer told me my MH would get 12 MPG I knew he was full of HOT AIR.

In order to get a real world test results the following is required.
START:
Fill up at your local gas stop until it is FULL.....
Drive at least 200 miles or MORE round trip for a real test.
RETURN to the same Gas Station and use the same gas pump as when you started this test and fill until FULL.....

Take the TOTAL MILES you drove on this test run and .
divide that by the TOTAL NUMBER GALLONS you purchased.

Most people will not fill up when they return home.
This could be 50 or 60 gallons they do not include in their calculations.
That will make your MPG look much higher then it really is.

Many other factors can have a real negative effect on your results.
SPEED
WIND
TRAFFIC or ROAD CLOSURES
GENERATOR USAGE is a big one for me.
When I drive my Generator is ALWAYS on so I can run my roof AC units.

I now have over 65,000 miles on our 8 year old MH.
We have over 3,600 hours on our Genset, I use it all the time.
I keep track of every mile traveled and every gallon of gas purchased.
I only average 6.8 miles per gallon.
I also keep track of locations of the cheaper gas stops.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I'll never see that mileage. Although I I don't drive 50 or 55 it just seem to make a big difference with my coach.

I decided to slow it down this trip usually driving below the posted speed limit. On the last ~1000 miles I've driven Hwy 2 east, the speeds on this were 65 max and usually lower, I drove below the posted speed limit pretty much the whole way. I've averaged 7.6 mpg.

On the 1300 mile trip out west I didn't do the posted speed limit but usually averaged 65mph, and only averaged 7.3. Not a big difference.

Today I pissed off a bunch of people driving south on HWY 51 in Wisconsin driving 55 the posted speed limit. This was on a 2 lane Hwy with limited passing capability. In the smaller towns I actually pulled off and let anyone behind me pass, did this at least twice.

But I wasn't in a hurry and enjoyed the scenery and drive.
I'm seeing about the same 7 to 7.5 mpg dash says 8 to 8.5
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
Not enough information to judge if this is real information.
I can get 15 miles per gallon for a short distance all DOWN HILL driving.
That is fake information and when the dealer told me my MH would get 12 MPG I knew he was full of HOT AIR.
I agree, I use an app and have tracked every single fill up since I bought my motorhome over 50,000 miles on it and my overall average is 6.7mpg right inline with yours. When I first bought mine I ran 60-63mph and now I run usually 68mph and it made essentially no difference. I know air resistance is a big part of mileage but I am starting to think the V10 has a sweet spot for efficiency probably where its still running lean right around 2000 rpm which is where I sit at 68mph.

People who actually track mileage by recording gallons and the odometer always seem to have lower mpg around here in line with our readings. You also have to average it over multiple fill up because its pretty easy to throw it off a .5 or more by not filling it up all the way to the same point as before in the fill tube.

I would hope the V8 would be more efficient but there are no miracles, its takes a certain amount of power to go down the road and port injected NA gas engines don't have much room for improvement on efficiency anymore. 9-10mpg would be in Diesel territory and pretty much impossible for a gas engine without other extenuating circumstances (down hill, tail wind, very low speed).
Old 07-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #10

Lightweight and good aerodynamics can make a lot of difference.

My new 12,500 GVWR Thor Axis 24.1 based on the E350 chassis with the Godzilla engine (but maybe the economy tuned version) gets 11 mpg on rural, hilly roads and 12+ mpg on straight, flat interstate. This is 3,000 miles worth of data based on fill up to fill up calculations. The dash mpg is sometimes higher, sometimes lower, but within 0.5 mpg.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
David,

It's an equation, really. Weight, horse power, temperature, altitude, etc.
In "just right" conditions, our price per mile, adjusted for weight, isn't far from the Mercedes chassis class C diesel numbers.

"Godzilla" rocks. Ford has a test mule they are running with twin turbos. What do you suppose they'll build with that in it ?
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:33 AM   #12

My fuel mileage is ok and gets better when going slower-plenty of get up and go when getting on the freeway-I do not drive fast-We had a medical incident in West Texas and was surprised that the Coach top speed was limited to 78 mph.
PlaneJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneJim View Post
My fuel mileage is ok and gets better when going slower-plenty of get up and go when getting on the freeway-I do not drive fast-We had a medical incident in West Texas and was surprised that the Coach top speed was limited to 78 mph.
Yes thank God they limit it to 78. Too many old fools going too fast in a R.V.'s
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:46 AM   #14

Disagree

Unless you have a family member bleeding out due to accidental gunshot and no cell phone service and the closet assistance is 60 miles away. DETAILS MAKE THE DIFFERENCE
PlaneJim is offline   Reply With Quote