Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
As you can see, we have just created a Ford chassis specific site. This will give us all an opportunity to discuss issues specific to our chassis. A good place to talk about the new chassis and of course, past years chassis'.
We want to keep the discussion in this forum specific to the Ford chassis. If the topic is something that would be universal to other types of motorhomes or if it is something to do with equipment used in other type RV's, please use the forum that would better relate to the topic.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
As you can see, we have just created a Ford chassis specific site. This will give us all an opportunity to discuss issues specific to our chassis. A good place to talk about the new chassis and of course, past years chassis'.
We want to keep the discussion in this forum specific to the Ford chassis. If the topic is something that would be universal to other types of motorhomes or if it is something to do with equipment used in other type RV's, please use the forum that would better relate to the topic.
Mike
Old 02-15-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
"GOOD LUCK" all you Ford owners with your new site. I was always a Ford man,3 V-10's, until the Workhorse showed up. Ford for me always had a good drive train without troubles. Don't forget if your going to Tenn Rally you can get upgrade from Brazels. Sign up on tally sheet. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Wonderful! Great! Way To Go! Glad us Ford people finally got our own forum.

Oops, wait a minute. I sold mine recently. Darn. Say, how about a HR/Monaco RoadMaster forum? (just kidding .... sorta...).

In all seriousness, I am glad to see a Ford-specific forum. I will be watching it closely to see if anyone else mentions any problems with cracked heads on a F53 V-10. I had a 2000, and the right-side head simply developed cracked between #5-exhaust and the water-jacket. Ford never did find a cause nor offer an explanation. Be interested to see if I was just 'lucky' or if there's a root-cause.

Go Blue-Oval!

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Should have mentioned 2 V-10's had the Banks & Trans-Command installed combination couldn't be beat on the Fords. "007"
Old 02-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have a post to move over here regarding the Ultrapower once I get the bugs worked out of the new forum. I am getting it installed at the rally. Thinking about the transcommand. Not sure yet. I have the newer V10 with the 310HP and 425 torque and dont think I need the banks for what I use the motorhome for at this point.
But will like a little more "kick" that I hope the ultrapower will give me.
Mike
Old 02-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mike you maybe right, thats all we had until the Brazel man showed up. "007"
Old 02-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Mike I see you have the bilstien shocks on your unit are they really that good? I have a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U but the F53 is all stock the 1st owner did not do anything to it not even the recalls or the water fix. So I really do not know if the ride I have is good or if its bad. He did not even do the seatbelt recalls found out about them when I called Winnebago about a heater question and it came up on there computers that the recalls had not been done. He did put on 6 new tires but not the goodyears he put on brigdestones and ran them at 110 lbs felt like every bump was a rock just drop air down to 90 lbs so I hope this will help the ride and handling some. my unit has a F53 that was made in 2000 I think it was Feb of 2000 or April 2000 cant remimber for sure might be Feb and winne put the box on it in april so I think the 2 would be the same.

BTW Thanks for the Forum and the email about it
Mark
Old 02-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess this will cover both the F53 as well as the F450SD class C chassis. I never had a class A Ford, but do have a bit of experience with the E450 chassis and the V-10.

Look forward to more post on this manufacturer.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ken,
Topics regarding the F450SD should remain in the Class C forum unless it is V10 and tranny related. Then there is that connection. But if it strictly chassis related, lets leave it in Class C.

Mark,
Ford had started using Bilsteins as OEM equip. right after my chassis was built. I had seen alot of talk back then about the softness of theOEM Monroes that were on my coach. Now keep in mind, the OEM Monroes are not or were not the same as the Monroe Gas Magnums that are available. So I knew I wanted to get the soft shocks off and either replace with Bilsteins or the Magnum Monroes. The differences between the two can be argued at some other time. I personally liked the Bilsteins that I had but on a F350 dually hauling a heavy fiver. So that plus the fact that I could get the Bilsteins free at the time was a no brainer. I complained about the softness and sway of the original shocks and Ford put the Bilsteins on under warranty. I am very happy with them. They are "firm" but not to the point of a harsh ride. I consider firm to mean having a sense of control of the coach and firmness in turns, etc.
As far as your tires goes, what are your tires rated at? I would have thought the max rating was about 85PSI for the 19.5's. I believe you will find a sticker on the side of the coach by the drivers door that says max PSI should be 85.
I run the fronts at 84 and the rears at 85.
Mike
Old 02-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #11

Us Ford owners are just too happy to have needed a Forum...

Hope we can generate enough discssion to keep it rolling.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:45 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Mike the tires are g rated on side wall of tire its stated max cold air 110 lbs lable in winne belive it or not stated that on the goodyears to use 70 lbs Brigdestone data sheet on the tire for the lbs on the winne states the lowest I can go is 80 lbs. and that still gives me like 100 lbs over front axle wgt which is 7000 rear axle is rated at 13500 for a total of 20500 on unit front wgt as it is loaded now was 6400 rear was 12200 so still have like 2000 lbs to load on unit if I wanted to. with the tires at 90 lbs all around I have the exter 10 lbs of air for buffer but not sure I even need that as with the 80lbs I would still be over the axle wgt rating for the unit so I would be over max axle before over what tire can hold they are the 19.5's they are 245/70r at 80lbs they are 3640 singal and 3415 dual at that the single are total of 7280 lbs 280 over what axle is rated form at dual that is 6830 for total of 13660 rear axle is rated at the 13500 so 160 lbs over what the axle is rated for.

At the 90 lbs air its 3890 sinle 3655 dual for 7780 780 over rate front and 14650 for 1150 over rear axle rating.

at the 110 that the 1st owner ran it was 4540 single for 9080 that was 2080 lbs over what axle rating was remember front axle was rated for 7000 the rear also rated for 13500 would have been 4300 for 8600 for a total of 17200 3700 over the rear axle wgt rating so what do you thing.

Thanks
Mark

PS sorry for the long post
Old 02-15-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tderonne:
Us Ford owners are just too happy to have needed a Forum...

Hope we can generate enough discssion to keep it rolling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you know how the saying goes that you only hear the complaints about something and never the good stuff?
We can talk about alllllll the good stuff regarding our Fords, right?!!
Mike
Old 02-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike, there are a lot of improvements that can be nmade on the E450 Sd chassis with better anti-roll bars and Bilstein shock. The Bilstein shocks ar a 10 fold improvement over the Ford shocks on the E-450, so I imagine that you would see similar improvements on the class A chassis. I have Monroe shocks on my F350 and look for the day I can switch them to Bilsteins. The Monroes were much better than the OEM shock, but, like you I'm partial to Bilstein. I have always been pleased with them.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote