Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Heavy brake pedal pressure

We just picked up our 2014 Winnebago Vista 35F and we love it!

One thing that is of concern is that it takes heavy pressure on the brake petal to do a quicker braking. Does anyone know if this is normal for the 35F ? Im concern because my wife who is much smaller than me may have difficult time in stopping the coach.

Bill
wrevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #2

I noticed the same thing. It seems to take a lot of pedal pressure to stop. I had an instance where I had to stop short and pushed the pedal very hard and it stopped in a surprisingly short distance. It will stop just takes a lot of pressure. I have the same concern when my wife is driving.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #3

i to have the same unit time will get you used to it.do a search in the search box above try ( HydroMax brakes )
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanuts View Post
f53-hydromax-brakes-185034

do a search on this brake system you now have. Bottom line the HydroMax-brakes feel like driving without power brakes, takes awhile to get use to. i wish they kept the hydro-boost on the 20500 to 26000 lbs. units. You have to drive more carefully now after 8000 miles on our unit i am beginning to fell more comfortable. time will make it better
Old 10-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #4

I jave this same issue as well in my 2013 Winnebago 35g with 22K chassis.
I ordered a new set of brake pads made by Hawk. They make brakes for lots of vehicles and heavy trucks as well as race brakes race cars.
The compound I bought is the DTC30. I have not had time to install them yet.
I did talk directly with Hawk about these pads and they will provide more initial bite. This should give a much better feel at the initial press of the pedal. They also have a very wide operating tempreture range.
I have used Hawk pads in my racecars for over 15 years and feel very comfortable with using them on my RV.
Once I get them installed (next week) i will report here and in another thread I started earlier about brakes.
And yes the brakes do seem to work once you really press on the pedal. It just takes too much pressure in my opinion.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #5

I'm glad to be reading this thread. I have a Thor Miramar with an F53 chassis and was concerned the brakes seemed a bit hard. Since others have the same experience, it sounds like the pedal pressure is normal. Regards...
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes they do seem to be a bit hard to stop initially. If you give them a few short slow downs on your initial drive it seems to help the brakes.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #7

I finally installed the Hawk DTC30 brake pads and there is a noticeable improvement in pedal feel, initial bite and stopping power at lower pedal pressures.

This is what I was looking for and happy with my choice.

That said, the pads do squeal when cold and I suspect that is caused by my not sanding the rotors before installing new pads. I have gotten away with not re-surfacing or sanding with 120 grit that I gave it a try.

I will now have to start all over and properly prepare the rotors :-(

The pads are different for each chassis, meaning that the 26K chassis and 24K chassis do not use the same pads. A couple of the chassis used the same pads but most were weight specific so be sure to look at that if you buy some.

Overall this was the right direction for me. With a higher coefficient pad it is likely that rotor wear will be increased.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 35B has the same brake feel which to me is normal for a vehicle that size. Keeps you from stopping short every time you hit the brakes. What SuperGewl said also helps I have found. I suggest that you have your wife drive and brake someplace where she can get the feel of it. Don't sell her short if you make her mad or scared I bet she could push that pedal through the floor board!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #9

Of the 5 RVs I have owned this one has the worse feel at the pedal and by far requires the most pedal pressure to stop.
The Hawk pads have helped that problem.
Be sure to turn the rotors if changing the pad compound.

Tags
brake