Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2021, 08:04 PM   #1

Help! '95 F53 cranks no start

Hi everyone. I'm hoping some of the folks here can give me some advice. My '95 F53 with a 460 was running beautifully 2 days ago, then I went to move her today (to start packing for our upcoming trip in 5 days, naturally), and today she only cranks. I'm also not hearing the fuel pump come on, the engine is not even trying to start (no spark), and I'm also not getting a check engine light on the dash.
I did some checking with a test light, and did not find any bad fuses. I also verified the fuel pump is not getting power (gas gauge works). I tried swapping relays in the engine compartment fuse box, no change. Also checked the inertia switch, it was not tripped, but I pressed it anyway just in case.
When the ignition key is turned to the on position, the PCM relay clicks but the fuel pump relay does not.
It seems like I may not be getting signal out of the PCM, maybe it is not getting power? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Jeff
1995 Coachmen Santara 36MBS
Ford F-53 Chassis
Glampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to ground pin #6 of the self-test plug (connector) and turn the key to the run position. Then check for power at both the in and out wires at the inertia switch.
Let us know if the fuel pump is running at this point.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #3

Thanks Bill for the quick reply. When I ground pin #6 and turn the key to run, the fuel pump comes on.

I also verified no spark with a spark tester during cranking.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Then you need to chase the no spark issue. Crank or cam sensor, ignition coil module etc.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a bad PCM if the pump does not come on for one second when you turn the key to run without the grounding of pin #6 but they do with pin #6 grounded.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #6

I was thinking that might be the case. A buddy of mine says he remembers this being a common issue with certain Ford's in the 90's. One day the car/truck is running fine, next day it won't start and the PCM needs replaced.

Though, I guess 26 years of service on this one isn't bad. (but only 46k miles)

When I was searching the net the other night, I found another post about possible bad PCM/no spark on a 90's F53, and it was suggested to disconnect the PCM and see if spark returns. So I tried that, and with my PCM totally unplugged, spark returned.

So I have a PCM on order, it's supposed to come tomorrow night. Fingers crossed we'll be up and running for Friday departure!
Old 04-13-2021, 04:38 PM   #7

So, I received my "rebuilt" PCM and installed it. No change. No check engine light, no fuel pump coming on for 1 second when key is turned to on, no spark, no start.

Any other ideas? I guess there's a chance this pcm is also bad, though it was supposedly tested and guaranteed. Is there any checking I can do?

I don't have a pin out of this PCM connector but I'm getting a lot of activity with my test light (with pcm disconnected).

However I'm wondering if the power from the pcm relay is making it's way to this connector to power the pcm.

Thanks again for any help.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:23 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you turn on the Ignition does the MIL (CEL) lamp come on?
And does the MIL (CEL) lamp go out when the engine cranks?
Does the spark return if you leave the PCM unhooked?

/
Old 04-14-2021, 04:39 AM   #9

When I turn on the ignition, I don't have a check engine light.

With the pcm disconnected, I am getting spark.

Thanks for the diagram. I am getting 12v on circuit 351. I am not getting 12v at the keep alive power input, is that a problem?

Im wondering if I lost ground somehow, Im going to check that this afternoon after work.
Jeff
Old 04-14-2021, 06:17 AM   #10

pcm

there was a TSB for bad grounds for the PCM, although the symptoms were erratic shifting it might be worth checking
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glampin View Post
When I turn on the ignition, I don't have a check engine light.
That means the PCM is not firing up.
Yes you do need power on pin #1 of the PCM.
It is either missing grounds or power input.
Note that C152 is located under the radiator and on center line of the RV.

/
Old 04-14-2021, 08:24 PM   #12

Yes! Problem solved!
I had case ground on pin 20, but no continuity to ground on pins 40 and 60 at the PCM. Circuit g101, which goes through the connector in front of the radiator. Traced that back but instead of finding it attached to right side frame, it was in the battery compartment, loose wires twisted together.

Repaired that, put everything back together, and she fired right up.

I still have no check engine light, but that's for another day.

I did end up going on motorcraft service.com and paying 20-something for 72 hour access. That's a pretty decent site, though Bill your pics and diagrams are even better.

Thanks a million for all the help!!

Tags
f53, no start