Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnworr21 View Post
I hate to throw a different suggestion to this problem, especially with all of the excellent info everyone is providing but,

Your pump maybe on it's way out.

Good news it is very easy to replace .

Hope this helps and good luck.
Yeah, that was my original suspicion. It did feel like a gas issue. I am first replacing the ICM and i'll be driving around to test it. If I feel the problem persists, I'll definitely consider the fuel pump.

One question though, how did you know it was the pump in the tank and not the high pressure pump?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBear View Post
Yeah, that was my original suspicion. It did feel like a gas issue. I am first replacing the ICM and i'll be driving around to test it. If I feel the problem persists, I'll definitely consider the fuel pump.

One question though, how did you know it was the pump in the tank and not the high pressure pump?

Ford and many other manufactures have a 2 sec prime to energize their fuel pump anytime you turn the key from off to start. I could not hear if this was happening due to the freeway noise , so I decided to take a rubber hammer and bang on the bottom tank . This was enough to jar the pump and the motor started and I was able to get to my destination and replace the pump.

Majority of the time when it is ignition related, the symptons of the motor cutting out or dying is more of a sharp or bumping feel , compared to a gradule or "bog" down feel.
winnworr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnworr21 View Post
Majority of the time when it is ignition related, the symptons of the motor cutting out or dying is more of a sharp or bumping feel , compared to a gradule or "bog" down feel.
Exactly my first assumptions... it was definitely a bog down thing that has happened...

Oh geeez..
Old 07-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBear View Post
Exactly my first assumptions... it was definitely a bog down thing that has happened...

Oh geeez..
By the way banging on the bottom of the tank would not have helped you with a full fuel tank. The in tank pump is just a boost pump for priming the high pressure pump if you run out of fuel or are going up a steep hill. You can drive for years with this pump not running as loon as you do not run out of fuel, go up a steep hill or let the fuel in the tank go below 1/4 tank if you do a high acceleration. The pump and the strainer sets right on the bottom of the tank and if you hit up on the tank if it is a good pump it will not be for long. You could have had junk in the stainer and jar the junk loose with a hammer and get going again. This hammer thing would be something to try if you are between a rock and a hard place.

Your engine was running and you tank was full with a primed fuel system when you left the station and it died so it would not have been the pump in the tank. If it was a pump it would be the frame mounted pump and yes you can bang on it with a rubber hammer and jar the short brushes in it and get it going again and can run for quite a while.

Filling the tank may have also moved junk around in the tank and plugged the stainer as that is possible also.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
By the way banging on the bottom of the tank would not have helped you with a full fuel tank. The in tank pump is just a boost pump for priming the high pressure pump if you run out of fuel or are going up a steep hill. You can drive for years with this pump not running as loon as you do not run out of fuel, go up a steep hill or let the fuel in the tank go below 1/4 tank if you do a high acceleration. The pump and the strainer sets right on the bottom of the tank and if you hit up on the tank if it is a good pump it will not be for long. You could have had junk in the stainer and jar the junk loose with a hammer and get going again. This hammer thing would be something to try if you are between a rock and a hard place.

Your engine was running and you tank was full with a primed fuel system when you left the station and it died so it would not have been the pump in the tank. If it was a pump it would be the frame mounted pump and yes you can bang on it with a rubber hammer and jar the short brushes in it and get it going again and can run for quite a while.

Filling the tank may have also moved junk around in the tank and plugged the stainer as that is possible also.
When I removed my old pump the strainer was clean so suspect my electrical pump was faulty. Hitting the tank probably jarred the brushes in the pump motor. At the time my tank was at about 1/4 .

I have not had any issues with these symptoms since.
I don't recall seeing any high pressure fuel pump anywhere.

But like I mentioned, I don't think I heard the 2 sec. prime which would indicate the in tank pump or the control relay. Hitting the tank confirmed it was the pump.

After I replace the pump, I could hear the 2 sec. prime again.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:13 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
winnworr21,

Is your Motorhome a class "A" (F53) or a class "C"?

The E-series (class "C") had the high pressure pump on the frame until 1991 and you say yours was a 1989 and did not have one. The F-series did away with the frame pump in 1990.

I do not know what the F53 had for fuel pumps in 1989 and any information would help a lot. I think 1989 was the first year that Ford came out with the F53.

I know a lot have gotten the high pressure pump inside the tank going again by hitting on the bottom of the tank. I have never heard of anybody getting the low pressure boost pump inside the tank going again by hitting on the bottom of the tank.

My steps on my F53 sometimes stop in the out position and I can get them going again (in) by hitting the motor with a rubber hammer. I took the motor apart but did not see any thing wrong with it and it only does it if I leave the steps out for a few days. Maybe the motors in the pumps will do the same thing if they set not running for a while.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
winnworr21,

Is your Motorhome a class "A" (F53) or a class "C"?

The E-series (class "C") had the high pressure pump on the frame until 1991 and you say yours was a 1989 and did not have one. The F-series did away with the frame pump in 1990.

I do not know what the F53 had for fuel pumps in 1989 and any information would help a lot. I think 1989 was the first year that Ford came out with the F53.

I know a lot have gotten the high pressure pump inside the tank going again by hitting on the bottom of the tank. I have never heard of anybody getting the low pressure boost pump inside the tank going again by hitting on the bottom of the tank.

My steps on my F53 sometimes stop in the out position and I can get them going again (in) by hitting the motor with a rubber hammer. I took the motor apart but did not see any thing wrong with it and it only does it if I leave the steps out for a few days. Maybe the motors in the pumps will do the same thing if they set not running for a while.
I have a class C 460 FI eng.
At times , any electrical motor with brushes or contacts will come back to life after "bumping" them. But this a sign it's probably not going to be very reliable if not repaired.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #22

I am having the same exact issue!

Bear in mind, i am not mechanically inclined...!

At first I thought the stalling was heat related, but then it did it when i first started it up one morning.
I've had to sit on the side of the road a few times for about 40 minutes, then when i start up again, the issue might not come back for days....

I have yet to get it looked at, and i will look at all the suggestions previously mentioned in this forum. But through research, i came across an issue called 'vapor lock'. I guess what happens is that the gas turns to vapor in the gas lines, and when vapor hits the engine instead of the gas, it can choke your engine out.

I read that when it happens, you can unscrew your gas cap and if there is a pressure release, try to start your engine again...

Anyway, not to throw a monkey wrench in the thread...but i thought it might be worth mentioning. I am hitting the road again in a month and hope to have my issue resolved.

I am in an 1988 Ford e 350 with a 460.
cheddaryeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I know it's not a truck pump, but I've put three pumps in my Ford '02 T-bird. I got it in Nov 01 and now only have 3600 miles on it. Three fuel pumps. It's from sitting. I did get them going by switching the wires and running it backwards for a few seconds, but they didn't last. Sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't. Was the fuel pump in the tank all sticking along.

I think they time out if the engine doesn't start right away.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
I am having a similar problem. When I come up to a stop sign, the engine dies. It starts right back up again and seems to run fine going down the road. (Also a 460 Ford, 1991).??????????? Had the fuel pump (in tank) and fuel regulator replaced last spring. (Regulator not working was causing the engine to flood out and to much pressure took the pump out.) Doesn't seem to be the same problem now.