Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #1

Angry HELP No Power out of 1997 F53 ignition switch

Went out to start changing tires on our '97 F53 Newmar Kountry Star and unit does not have power out of ignition switch in either "Run or Acc." chassis bat. at 13.2v.
piperjohn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have you verified that you have power to the switch? How are you checking your battery voltage? Gauge of multi meter?
1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hufficon View Post
Have you verified that you have power to the switch? How are you checking your battery voltage? Gauge of multi meter?
Thanks for reaching out,

I check voltage with my Fluke DMM, No I have been looking for a contact list/wire color ID but I suppose I could just go across the wires one at a time and should show the same 13.2 but if none did whats upstream? I found a factory manual for it but the cost was 300. Think I will do that (check wires for B+ reading Thursday. Need to change coach batteries both are 0.0 but can't see that as the problem should remain isolated until engaging the aux battery circuit.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:17 PM   #4

Power would come from a fuse box somewhere. But I'd poke around that switch and see if you have power in.

Battery will power fuse box

Fuses to ingition

Ignition to starter solenoid

That will be your path

Also,. GROUNDS GROUNDS GROUNDS!!

Good coffee, divorce and elictricity all start with good grounds.
vdubbugman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbugman53 View Post
Power would come from a fuse box somewhere. But I'd poke around that switch and see if you have power in.

Battery will power fuse box

Fuses to ingition

Ignition to starter solenoid

That will be your path

Also,. GROUNDS GROUNDS GROUNDS!!

Good coffee, divorce and start with good grounds.
I do not detect any B+ at at the ignition switch connector to the steering column support (aka ground). As for ground yes I tightened the battery ground connection, and getting B+ from + terminal to frame.

Thanks for asking, never hurts to ask the dumb questions,,,,, Like when a car doesn't start and asking how much gas is in the tank.....

John
Old 04-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
These might help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97F53ignitionswitch01.jpeg
Views:	540
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	159801   Click image for larger version

Name:	97F53ignitionswitch02.jpeg
Views:	370
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	159802  

Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Be sure to check the voltage at the cable terminals and not just the battery posts. Corrosion can build up between post and terminal.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...sVCkmYrSnjWjdW

You might also try jumping the starter relay. It won't start without power to the switch but if it doesn't turn over you have verified a problem between the battery and all power to the chassis. The starter relay it in the circuit directly from the battery to the starter.
Be sure it is not in gear when jumping the relay.
1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #8

You might want to check to see if there's a smaller wire from the battery to the ignition switch that has an inline fusible link that may be blown. Just a thought...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjohn2 View Post
I do not detect any B+ at at the ignition switch connector to the steering column support (aka ground). As for ground yes I tightened the battery ground connection, and getting B+ from + terminal to frame.

Thanks for asking, never hurts to ask the dumb questions,,,,, Like when a car doesn't start and asking how much gas is in the tank.....

John
Problem is all the fuses I find (3
locations) are good.

John
Old 04-29-2017, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalpho View Post
These might help
Thanks for the electrical diag. can you clue me into the C140 and S205 location wise?? or is S205 the actual ignition switch. Or is S205 the crossover switch in the event chassis battery is dead.
John
Old 04-30-2017, 06:54 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
C140 is a 76 pin connector that appears to be inside at the base of the steering column below the fuel pump inertia switch. Pin 4 would be a yellow wire from the underhood fuse box 60A fuse #14 to the ignition switch.

C200 is the connector on the ignition switch.

S205 is a splice that I can't seem to locate in the shop manual but it would be between C140 and C200 which appear to be close to each other inside by the steering column.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C140_pinout.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	160118   Click image for larger version

Name:	C140_Location.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	160119  

Old 04-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalpho View Post
C140 is a 76 pin connector that appears to be inside at the base of the steering column below the fuel pump inertia switch. Pin 4 would be a yellow wire from the underhood fuse box 60A fuse #14 to the ignition switch.

C200 is the connector on the ignition switch.

S205 is a splice that I can't seem to locate in the shop manual but it would be between C140 and C200 which appear to be close to each other inside by the steering column.
Could S205 be that "Brake fluid level switch" why I ask that is, we also have a power steering fluid leak, which due to it being slow being rather then rapid. I suspect it to be a fluid return line or the line going from the reservoir to the pump, and being that it also gives power the the power brakes. We had an incident last Sept. with marginal braking power and at one point at a stop sign everything went dead and then returned, so we could restart and proceed on. I suspect the power lose was due to low fluid level in the reservoir. BUT then on the other hand there is a switch on the master cylinder.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Remove dash and find connector I had a wireing manule with connect pic
Wiggle connectors .I had this happen to my 2001 Coachmen Aurora.
Drove me crazy .or could be ing switch down on colum.
Don
Old 05-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjohn2 View Post
Could S205 be that "Brake fluid level switch" why I ask that is, we also have a power steering fluid leak, which due to it being slow being rather then rapid. I suspect it to be a fluid return line or the line going from the reservoir to the pump, and being that it also gives power the the power brakes. We had an incident last Sept. with marginal braking power and at one point at a stop sign everything went dead and then returned, so we could restart and proceed on. I suspect the power lose was due to low fluid level in the reservoir. BUT then on the other hand there is a switch on the master cylinder.
S205 is a splice which is why Ford uses the "Sxxx" designation. "Cxxx" is for a connector number, and "Gxxx" is for a ground point.

So I read the wiring diagram as circuit 37 yellow wire comes from Fuse #14 60 amp fuse out of the engine compartment fuse box, through connector C140 pin 4, and splits into two wires at Splice S205 before the ignition switch, both yellow wires then go into connector C200 of the ignition switch.

The ignition switch contacts can only carry a certain amount of current so they use multiple contacts to split the loads. So the need to have two battery inputs to the switch is required. Ford shop manual describes S205 location as in the main harness near the top of the shift lock actuator located at the left side of lower steering column.

Since there are multiple outputs from the ignition switch, is there anything else not powering up when the key is on such as instrument cluster (idiot lights, gauges, etc), wipers, blower motor, turn signals, etc? Sometimes looking for commonality when something is wrong helps when trying to track down a problem. Is the problem before or after the ignition switch as an example.......

Tags
f53, ignition, power, switch