Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Lakehouse 2,

The belt has 36,000 miles on it. I checked it as best I could and can see nothing. I realize that's not always all there is to it but so far I can't see much.

I have yet been under the RV when the noise has happened. That's standard procedure. It happened once today but was a bit different. The noise occurred maybe 20 seconds after start up.

Does not seem to be serious so I'll just monitor it until we get to our final destination.

Not sure about the relay. The sound onlt happens during or after startup. Can't see how a relay would be part of that but will keep it in mind.

I have to follow what I believe are diagnostic symptoms how and when they occur. Not always easy when it is intermittent as this is. It may have to get worse or better before it can be diagnosed. I'm never one to start replacing parts until it is fixed.
Sounds like broken or missing exhaust stud. Had all mine replaced this passed yr on our 1999 Dutchstar. Stud did same thing. Take a look with good flash light. You see anything thats missing. Also check for broken exhaust hanger on down pipe from exhaust manafold.
Shop rewelded mine no charge.
All noises disappeared. Rubs very quiet now. Changed all belts and tension pulleys at 75000 mikes changed out starter just for kicks with addition of push to start button to avoid Fords no start blockers.[emoji6]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #16

Being intermittent I'm thinking a/c compressor.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:48 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did think about the A/C compressor. It was changed about 18 month ago. The clutch does cycle but when the engine is going it's either compressing or off. Once we are moving the noise has never occurred. It's not out of the equation.

The noise will have to become more consistent/predictable if I'm going to find it before we get to our final destination.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #18

The AC compressor is a possibility but you could eliminate this idea by shutting the AC off before starting the engine. If you don't hear the noise again I would suspect the compressor. If the noise persists the compressor is not the culprit.
I am more inclined to agree with you about the starter not disengaging. The drive assemblies can drag on the armature and disengage slowly due to a dry or worn bushing in the drive assembly or a weak spring in the solenoid, or a worn fork which engages the drive.
Another thought, albeit somewhat remote, is a cracked flex plate. If this was the case the noise would be more consistent though.
When you get to where you can get under the MH and feel the starter when it is operating you should remove any plate or cover from the flywheel cover which 'might' let you see the drive action.
Of course the manifold bolts are well known for failure on these engines (and many others) but the exhaust noise usually lasts more than a few seconds after start up. The fact you heard the noise when the engine was warmed up kind of eliminates the exhaust being the source of your noise.
You are right in your thinking these intermittent noises are the worst to deal with. You can spend hours or days looking for these noises and never hear them when you are prepared to detect them.
Lynn
Old 08-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Only 3-4 days of driving since this noise began. Still nothing definitive. I can't get it to make the noise cold or hot start and in fact I don't recall hearing it at all today. Today was a wet very rainy day of driving so it's possible it was there but just didn't hear it.

Tomorrow we'll settle in for 30 days at one CG so who knows. I realize it made a noise for a reason and just because it's quiet now means nothing in my book. We'll just monitor and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll post on the return trip or if I discover something!!
Old 08-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #20

Quote:

Tomorrow we'll settle in for 30 days at one CG so who knows. I realize it made a noise for a reason and just because it's quiet now means nothing in my book. We'll just monitor and hope for the best.
I'll give you one day or two at the most before you start looking for the problem. You will be starting the engine and making note of what happened each time. I can't see you with your background sitting idly by and not thinking about this issue.
I hope I don't spoil your stay but having watched many of your posts over the years I think I have you pegged.
Lynn
Old 08-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Only 3-4 days of driving since this noise began. Still nothing definitive. I can't get it to make the noise cold or hot start and in fact I don't recall hearing it at all today. Today was a wet very rainy day of driving so it's possible it was there but just didn't hear it.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll post on the return trip or if I discover something!!
I like the idea of checking out the exhaust manifold/studs. An exhaust leak will frequently sound like a metalic noise. Another item to consider could be flex plate bolts. Flexplate to crank and flexplate to torque convertor. Guys in our truck club have had strange noises and found flexplate bolts starting to back out.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lynn,

You are probably correct. I do want to know what is causing the noise. Just not sure if it gets quiet just how I'll do that. By tomorrow evening we'll be stationary for the next 30 days so not sure what I can do except take the dog house loose and keep it loose to inspect and maybe heat up the engine and see if it makes the noise. That was something I didn't want to do after a 5 hour drive. I was more interested in a cold beverage and a good book.

You are right about the thinking part. Many, many times over the years while getting stumped on something I'd back away for a few hours or days or go to bed and often wake up with a new or different approach or solution. That's exactly how the idea for the adjustable CHF plates came to me in the middle of the night.

I've got an new idea stewing in the old head for improving the use of air bags for the F-53. Got to work out the bugs for now!!!

Pat,

I'm very aware of the noise from a cracked flex plate. Had that happen many years ago on a small block. My flex plate made a more intermittent tick, tick noise during acceleration. I'll keep in the back of my mind if something else doesn't crop up.

I packed a roll of rubber roofing material (8' X 10') that I salvaged from the HS one summer. It's still in great shape and they were going to throw all of it away. I covered my entire crawl space with it and have used it for many, many other projects. It's a bit thicker than an inner tube and really makes it easy to crawl around under the RV when you're on top of rocks in a CG. I'll put it under the engine area and leave it there until I figure this out or until we leave.

It rained all day today and is still doing it off and on late this evening. We had a long slow day through the hills of VT and NH on mostly 2-lane roads and a lot of rain. Not my favorite type of driving.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Lynn,

You are probably correct. I do want to know what is causing the noise. Just not sure if it gets quiet just how I'll do that. By tomorrow evening we'll be stationary for the next 30 days so not sure what I can do except take the dog house loose and keep it loose to inspect and maybe heat up the engine and see if it makes the noise. That was something I didn't want to do after a 5 hour drive. I was more interested in a cold beverage and a good book.

You are right about the thinking part. Many, many times over the years while getting stumped on something I'd back away for a few hours or days or go to bed and often wake up with a new or different approach or solution. That's exactly how the idea for the adjustable CHF plates came to me in the middle of the night.

I've got an new idea stewing in the old head for improving the use of air bags for the F-53. Got to work out the bugs for now!!!

Pat,

I'm very aware of the noise from a cracked flex plate. Had that happen many years ago on a small block. My flex plate made a more intermittent tick, tick noise during acceleration. I'll keep in the back of my mind if something else doesn't crop up.

I packed a roll of rubber roofing material (8' X 10') that I salvaged from the HS one summer. It's still in great shape and they were going to throw all of it away. I covered my entire crawl space with it and have used it for many, many other projects. It's a bit thicker than an inner tube and really makes it easy to crawl around under the RV when you're on top of rocks in a CG. I'll put it under the engine area and leave it there until I figure this out or until we leave.

It rained all day today and is still doing it off and on late this evening. We had a long slow day through the hills of VT and NH on mostly 2-lane roads and a lot of rain. Not my favorite type of driving.
Enjoy you time at the place you are staying and then after a few days start it up and see if you can find it. My bet is with the starter.
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:01 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What you are hearing is ,"oil drainback" common on all v10's that sit for more than 6 or 7 days, its oil pressure lost to the upper end, fram filters and other cheap filters will do it. Motorcraft filters use a silicone anti drainback valve to help lessen the rattle. The only way I know how to prevent the rattle is remove the fuel pump relay crank for 10 seconds,and reinstall the relay then start, I have had 3 v10"s in class c's and all have made the noise if I dont pull the fuel pump relay. The longer it sits,the longer the rattle will occur.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:29 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
avfordguy,

I used dealer Ford filters most of the time but when I changed the oil before we departed I used a Hastings filter which is of a decent quality with the anti-flow back valve. I have been using 5W-20 Mobil 1 oil after the first 5,000 miles and change it after every 100 hours of engine operation which is usually about 5,000 miles.

This is our second V-10 and the first time I've heard this type of noise. As we progressed to our final destination the noise became less frequent. The last time it happened it took about 15 to 20 seconds of operation before it started. It seems to be changing it character?

We had to move sights once and will move one more time. We didn't get registered at this small (10-sight) CG early enough so to accommodate us we'll move twice. Not bad!!

I'll have to move the last time tomorrow. Then I'll place my rubber mat under it so I can do some more serious searching. We'll see.

Thanks much for all the comments and ideas. I'll continue with this and see where it takes me and will report when and if. It might just break and then we'll know. I doubt it will disappear and that wouldn't solve the issue either. So far it has not caused any operational or performance issues so that's a plus.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #26

I had a similar noise awhile back and also a leaky power steering pump. I bought a new Ford pump and when I removed the belt the tensioner wanted to stay in one spot and was weak. So back to the Ford dealer. New tensioner and idler. No noise now.
I had forgotten I did this repair until today when I was under the coach and saw the P/S pump. Getting old!

An old trick to determine if the belt is making noise is to rub the surface with bar soap and if it quiets down it is probably the belt. Serpentine belts are good for wearing into the bottom of the tiny grooves and not grabbing as tight as they should. My old '88 Itasca 454 had a small serpentine on it that would do this frequently.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #27

Iirc, when you hold gas pedal all the way down (floored) on the v10, it will crank but won't start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
What you are hearing is ,"oil drainback" common on all v10's that sit for more than 6 or 7 days, its oil pressure lost to the upper end, fram filters and other cheap filters will do it. Motorcraft filters use a silicone anti drainback valve to help lessen the rattle. The only way I know how to prevent the rattle is remove the fuel pump relay crank for 10 seconds,and reinstall the relay then start, I have had 3 v10"s in class c's and all have made the noise if I dont pull the fuel pump relay. The longer it sits,the longer the rattle will occur.

Tags
noise