Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
HELP!! V-10 noise that I can't find!!!

I could really use some good diagnostic information because I'm kind of stumped.

This noise just started a few days ago. It has only been going on 2-3 days so I'm still working on narrowing down all the particulars.

It happens only on startup and only last for 2-3 seconds. It does not happen during cranking but after the engine actually starts. I think that would take out the actual starter unless it's something to do with the solenoid not returning to its resting place once the engine starts. That would cause gears meshing possibly making the noise.

It's a low pitched rattle or short quick machine gun burst or tap, tap, tap. Today it happened maybe on 2-3 times on start ups.

We just pulled in for the night and after things cooled off I had the DW crank it while I was under and of course it didn't make the noise.

It's not a bearing sound from any that I have ever heard. There's nothing that is spinning: AC compressor, alternator, water pump, power steering pump that could/would make that kind of sound.

The sound that it is making is one that I have never heard before and I've heard a lot of engine noises and that's what has me a bit stumped.

We'll continue to be aware and try to gather more information. I'm leaning more towards the starter but if anybody has had this type of noise happen that would really help narrow down the cause maybe confirming my thinking.

We just finished our third day of travel and other than the noise on start up everything else is working just fine.

When I can finally narrow this down I'll put my hand on the starter and that should give me a definitive diagnosis.

Thanks !!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #2

Not sure I would loose any sleep over a start up noise, but know how discomforting any engine noise can be.

Think you need to use the old 3/8” extension to a cupped hand over the ear method on the starter during start up to see if your solenoid is rattling around as you suspect. Seems like a logical shoot from from the hip diagnosis.

If the starter is quiet, I would try to get a listen to the timing chain cover to see if there is a delay in tensioner pump up. I’m assuming the the v10 uses oil pressure tensioning? Not sure on that.

If you are using a multi viscosity oil like a 5-40, you might try switching back to 5-20. These newer engines really like the thin stuff, especially on start up.

My older 2 valve V10 had a bit of a “rod knock” type noise on start up sometimes. They really are bombproof though. That thing screamed up 6% grades at 4500+ RPMs pulling 26000lb all 15 years we drove it. A lot of those hills were at desert temps over 90 degrees. Bombproof I’m telling ya.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:22 PM   #3

Get a wood dowel to use as a listening rod and check each exhaust port for leaks.

See if all of the exhaust studs are in place.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:31 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for those ideas. I'm thinking it's the starter but will confirm as soon as I can be under the RV during start up and when it makes the noise. It's cool this morning so we'll see. If it does not make the noise I'll check at our first stop and of course it will be hot.

As long as the noise does not start lasting more than 2-3 seconds, goes away as it has done I'll not worry about it.

Thanks again,
TeJay
Old 08-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
New noises, its talking to you. I hate new noises...

Lifter leaking down a little??

Does the newer V10s have Variable Valve Timing??? ( The VVT actuator on my ole Camry chatters a little on startup)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #6

V10 has overhead cams. Timing chain is spring tensioned. VVT actuated by oil pressure on spring loaded cam phasers - rattle not possible unless falling apart and then it wouldn't stop. Starter is possibility. Idler pully on belt.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
New noises, its talking to you. I hate new noises...

Lifter leaking down a little??

Does the newer V10s have Variable Valve Timing??? ( The VVT actuator on my ole Camry chatters a little on startup)
No the V10 has never had VVT, the new 7.3L V8 coming out however does.

I agree though a lifter could be the culprit.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
No the V10 has never had VVT
I wasn't sure, thanks. On my Camry, the noise was coming from the VVT area. Only when it was cold but not all the time. Most people probably would never even notice it.

TeJays is a 2014 ??? I seem to recall discussion on the Ford Truck Enthusiast about perhaps soft rockers/followers somewhere around 2016??
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm very familiar with lifter noise and that is not top on the list. Like I originally mentioned it's not a noise that I have heard before and very different from other noises. Still looking first at the starter. Its location is towards the rear and down on the side so it can be eliminated easily. The noise goes away immediately after start up.

I don't believe it's a big concern but still a concern because it is a noise that wasn't there 4 days ago. It might get worse but I'll assume it won't get better. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #10

I replaced the starter on my V-10 when I first bought it. It was around $120 from Autozone IIRC. The starting battery was bad for some time and the po did not replace it and the starter suffered because of it.
Could also be something related to the oil pressure. When was the last oil change?
I have heard leaky exhaust manifold do this when starting and then the engine noise running covers it up. These engines are known for breaking manifold studs.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oil was changed before we departed for this trip. I use 5W-20 full synthetic. I've checked all fluid levels and they are fine.

Twice yesterday once on cold start and the other on warm (not hot) restart and it didn't make the noise. I get under the RV and place my hand on the starter and solenoid. The DW starts the engine. It's noisy enough I will hear it and should feel it if it's the starter. Neither time did it make the noise.

The intermittent noises are always the most difficult to create. Today we'll be able to try a hot restart. We'll stop at a rest area to stretch and walk the dogs. Try the restart and see what happens. I 86 which is the southern east west route across lower NY is a really nice route to take. Very few semi's and even fewer cars most of the way.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #12

Tejay, Is the serpentine belt original? I had a noise in a 2011 Traverse that only occurred briefly on start up. I couldn't find where it was. The belt appeared fine with no visible cracking. At 75K and 7+ years I changed the belt before a long trip and the noise was gone. I mentioned that to a mechanic who said the belt probably had developed a "hard" spot?? Never heard of that before.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Battery isolation relay?
Old 08-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lakehouse 2,

The belt has 36,000 miles on it. I checked it as best I could and can see nothing. I realize that's not always all there is to it but so far I can't see much.

I have yet been under the RV when the noise has happened. That's standard procedure. It happened once today but was a bit different. The noise occurred maybe 20 seconds after start up.

Does not seem to be serious so I'll just monitor it until we get to our final destination.

Not sure about the relay. The sound onlt happens during or after startup. Can't see how a relay would be part of that but will keep it in mind.

I have to follow what I believe are diagnostic symptoms how and when they occur. Not always easy when it is intermittent as this is. It may have to get worse or better before it can be diagnosed. I'm never one to start replacing parts until it is fixed.

Tags
noise