Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2020, 05:49 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hose and belt age- preventive maint. question

2016 F53 26000 lb chassis. Have 46,000 miles and have been pondering when to pull the trigger on hose and belt changes. Leaks obviously- but what about age and engine time/mileage ?????

Any advice or thoughts out there in thread land on when to pull the trigger? I know I am due for a coolant change, but logically would time that for when I do the hoses if I need to be thinking about changing hoses sooner?

Also on the WBGO Adventurer 38Q they run a heater hose to the rear of the rig (about 35ft) to provide coach heat and hot water heater heat while in travel. Anyone had any experience with changing those lines? I've looked on line at the WBGO schematics and they are somewhat fuzzy on the routing of that long hose.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2020, 06:21 AM   #2

Service manual says somewhere around 100,000 miles for the belt.

Probably mentions the hoses too, just haven't looked.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Pace Arrow is way overdue. I am in the process of doing that just now. I am changing the water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, and all hoses. The new hoses are much, much better than the old days. I went 22 years with no problem, but I think ten years or 100,000 miles would be O.K. ( the coolant has been changed, but not all the other things.)
Old 05-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #4

Pretty sure the coolant in a 2016 is lifetime (100k + miles) rated. Not sure I would touch it unless it says to do so in your manual. The new stuff is Ph balanced and very advanced. Just use distilled water or Ford pre mixed coolant when you fill the overflow bottle from evaporation loss from time to time.

That long heater hose always worried me in our 99 Brave. It does run through a steel pipe along the frame though. I disconnected the rear heater after the front heater core leaked at 17 years old. Never used the rear heater anyway.

The only other leak we had in 19 years was a cracked overflow bottle. the plastic gets hard and yellow. everything else is Built Ford tough I would say.

Inspect the belt and if its in good shape, drive on. What usually kills the belts is trying to charge a dead battery after the rig sits. You will hear it squeal as the alternator loads up (ask me how I know).
With good coach battery maintenance they seem to last just fine.

On our 2019, the solar charger tops the engine battery after the house batteries are in float mode. Learned a few lessons in the last 15 years driving an older rig.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good info. Will try to confirm the coolant.

I am a bit skeptical about hoses when they get 5+ years.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #6

I would suggest buying a belt and keep either the new one or the used one as a spare.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found in manual-- some of it anyway

Found in manual (I'm a bit slow on some of these searches) says replace belt at 150,000 miles if not replaced within last 100,000 miles resulting from inspections. Coolant change 105,000 miles then every 3yrs or 45,000 miles. Both seem long to me but I'm a bit old school- will carry some spares.

Can't find anything else on hoses other than regular inspection. Probably will do them over 60,000 miles? That long hose heater to the rear already failed once when the factory punched a hole in it with a screw through the dog house. Managed to splice it OK but I know at some point I'll want that replaced.

All in brief service bullets on pages 131- 132 owners manual

Thanks for all the input.

Joe
Old 05-24-2020, 08:43 PM   #8

I believe you'll find those coolant lines running to the water heater are pipe with hoses on both ends. So very little extra hose.

Richard
Old 05-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
On my old Dutch Star my belt self-destructed at about 5 years with 23,000 miles. There were no malfunctions. Maybe a bad belt who knows. Now I always carry a spare.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent