Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How Many Miles Have you Logged with the CHF?
0 - 1k 4 18.18%
1k - 5k 11 50.00%
5k - 10k 4 18.18%
10k + 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

How Many Miles Have You Racked Up with the CHF?

Please vote and post if you have encountered any issues with the front CHF. It's understood that on some models the stock end links hit the leaf springs. Post other than that issue.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've run the first 6,000 miles with the stock links & the CHF. I actually did the fix at the CG in Forest City Iowa the day after we took delivery from Lichtsinn Motors. We started home with 40 miles on the odometer. The coach had a fairly strong pull to the right so I was concentrating on keeping it between the lines but other than keeping a constant left rudder It handled OK.

We went to FL the last part of Feb. Stayed in three CG's on the way down & did not have to many issues with the front wheels coming off the ground when we leveled. We got home early April & I extended the links 2" (only on the front) to reduce the chance of the wheels leaving the ground & to level the position of the sway bar. I supplied the 1/2" black pipe, he cut the links in the middle & extended them 2". They came out looking like stock links. As far as I'm concerned that is by far the best way to keep the stock Ford link bushings (which are WAY better than the Helwig bushings). It cost me $45 to have it welded by a (retired) professional welder.

We will be putting on another 2,000 or so miles in May but so far I'm happy with the coach but still want to install front/rear Firestone air bags & maybe Koni's to complete the suspension MODs. Even if the air bags improve the ride, control/handling 5% it's worth it.

With the added air bags ($700), rear track bar ($45), steering dampener ($125), Steer Safe ($400) & factory installed front track bar, Bilstein shocks I will only have spent an additional $1,400. Installing Koni's will add another $500.

So far I'm happy. Little sway or effect from semi's coming or going or from the wind. Most of the time it's one handed driving when in reduced traffic areas. Always two hands in the big cities.

TeJay
Old 05-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
We've run the first 6,000 miles with the stock links & the CHF. I actually did the fix at the CG in Forest City Iowa the day after we took delivery from Lichtsinn Motors. We started home with 40 miles on the odometer. The coach had a fairly strong pull to the right so I was concentrating on keeping it between the lines but other than keeping a constant left rudder It handled OK.

We went to FL the last part of Feb. Stayed in three CG's on the way down & did not have to many issues with the front wheels coming off the ground when we leveled. We got home early April & I extended the links 2" (only on the front) to reduce the chance of the wheels leaving the ground & to level the position of the sway bar. I supplied the 1/2" black pipe, he cut the links in the middle & extended them 2". They came out looking like stock links. As far as I'm concerned that is by far the best way to keep the stock Ford link bushings (which are WAY better than the Helwig bushings). It cost me $45 to have it welded by a (retired) professional welder.

We will be putting on another 2,000 or so miles in May but so far I'm happy with the coach but still want to install front/rear Firestone air bags & maybe Koni's to complete the suspension MODs. Even if the air bags improve the ride, control/handling 5% it's worth it.

With the added air bags ($700), rear track bar ($45), steering dampener ($125), Steer Safe ($400) & factory installed front track bar, Bilstein shocks I will only have spent an additional $1,400. Installing Koni's will add another $500.

So far I'm happy. Little sway or effect from semi's coming or going or from the wind. Most of the time it's one handed driving when in reduced traffic areas. Always two hands in the big cities.

TeJay
What type of pipe did you give the welder. I'd like to get the exact same and have them extended. I'll have them ready for when the Hellwigs' bushings give out.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Must be about 5k miles. No problem. Worthwhile improvement. Just moved to the other hole, no change of links or other modification.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
al2ride,
I just had some black water pipe that I salvaged from a dumpster. Black pipe is better because galvanized pipe is more dangerous (fumes) to weld so the welder will have to clean that off anyway. The inside diameter of the 1/2" pipe allowed the link rods that he cut to fit in with just a little play. In other words it was not a forced or tight fit but just enough room so he could set it up for the correct length and bushing position for welding.

You can probably find a 24" piece at any of the box stores.

Do you own a digital vernier caliper??? If you don't you should. You can get a decent one at any Harbor Freight for under $20 with a coupon. Some will read in thousands, MM and fractions. That's the best to have. I don't use MM because I'm not from Canada. And I'm more comfortable with thousands and fractions. I have two of them and use them all the time in my wood working. You can measure the diameter of your link rods then the inside diameter of the pipe.
TeJay
Old 05-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #6

I did the CHF using the stock front links with no negative side effects. The handling improved to the extent that I don't think I will do any other improvements. I also run the tires with 95 lbs in the rear and 90 in the front.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:24 AM   #7

Quote:
al2ride,
I just had some black water pipe that I salvaged from a dumpster. Black pipe is better because galvanized pipe is more dangerous (fumes) to weld so the welder will have to clean that off anyway. The inside diameter of the 1/2" pipe allowed the link rods that he cut to fit in with just a little play. In other words it was not a forced or tight fit but just enough room so he could set it up for the correct length and bushing position for welding.

You can probably find a 24" piece at any of the box stores.

Do you own a digital vernier caliper??? If you don't you should. You can get a decent one at any Harbor Freight for under $20 with a coupon. Some will read in thousands, MM and fractions. That's the best to have. I don't use MM because I'm not from Canada. And I'm more comfortable with thousands and fractions. I have two of them and use them all the time in my wood working. You can measure the diameter of your link rods then the inside diameter of the pipe.
TeJay
I probably have some black pipe that size, will have to look. I used to restore wrecked vehicles in my late teens early twenties. We bought them wrecked from auctions and got them back on the road. I learned to do everything from engine work to welding to painting, etc. I used to make perfect seams with a good old blow torch and cloth hangers. That was many years ago though. I currently have enough tools to tear the entire coach apart and put it back including a MIG welder, but for something like the end links I'd rather have a professional weld them. I like your idea with the pipe over the links.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
al2ride,
Didn't realize you were so mechanically talented. I hope you were not bored reading my info in the Digital vernier caliper.

Part of my problem now is since I retired and they closed the auto shop down (they still believe that everybody in HS is going to go to college and then get a job Ha-Ha) I have to visit another friend to use his Agri shop.

TeJay
Old 05-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
al2ride,
Didn't realize you were so mechanically talented. I hope you were not bored reading my info in the Digital vernier caliper.

Part of my problem now is since I retired and they closed the auto shop down (they still believe that everybody in HS is going to go to college and then get a job Ha-Ha) I have to visit another friend to use his Agri shop.

TeJay
The auto thing was fun but could only do two years of college while doing it so I decided to join the USAF. Did avionics for four years and got picked up by Lockheed were I spent the next 8 years overseas. Finished my degree and thanks to the GI Bill I didn't pay a penny except for the initial 1200 while in the USAF. Got my aeronautical degree and worked for Lockheed in FL for a while longer. Got tired of them pushing for more and more presentations and decided it was enough so we packed up and moved to OH where DW is originally from. DW has a great job so I just stay home raising our two whipper snappers.