Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #1

Hydromax Brake Booster Motor Runs Continuously

I washed my radiator fins yesterday afternoon with a hose to clean bugs, etc. and now the motor for the Hydromax Brake Booster runs continuously, with the engine off and the ignition key off. I assume something got wet and shorted out or something of that nature. I did not notice it until I went out this morning to put the garbage out and I heard something running.
I called the service manager at a ford truck dealer and he told me where the electric plug is behind the master cylinder and I unplugged it, so it it not running now. (plug is very difficult to see and to get your hand in there to unplug - it is a white plastic plug).
I let it sit all morning to dry out (the radiator fins are still wet) and then plugged back up, and it still runs continuously, so I unplugged it again. With it unplugged, if I turn the ignition key to "on" I hear the motor just for a second or two, then it shuts off. This seems strange to me, but there must be another connection to the pump motor under the dash or somewhere.
My Question: Is there a relay or a "reset" somewhere for this Hydromax system that I can reset, or does anyone understand what is happening?
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #2

Resolution by the OP:
It took about four days, but I guess it eventually dried out. I plugged the motor back up today, and it seems to work fine. I do not hear anything running unless I push the brake pedal with the engine not running and the ignition on. This is the way it has always worked.
I have not test driven it yet, but I think something got wet that should not have gotten wet; and everything is OK now.
Offered just as info in case this happens to anyone else.
Thanks,
Old 09-30-2021, 10:02 PM   #3
US1

Good to hear. I dont have to have the ignition on for my pump to run
Old 08-04-2023, 12:06 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the OP can comment, this just happened to me with 2019 F-53 Ford. The Hydro-Max booster motor turned on just sitting there overnight. AFTER I washed the radiator as you did. Did it return after drying out? Figure out what may have caused the relay to pull in and drive the motor continously?
pneumatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post
If the OP can comment, this just happened to me with 2019 F-53 Ford. The Hydro-Max booster motor turned on just sitting there overnight. AFTER I washed the radiator as you did. Did it return after drying out? Figure out what may have caused the relay to pull in and drive the motor continously?
I unplugged it behind the master cylinder and let it sit for several days and plugged it back in and it worked properly. I have not had an issue with it since then. I have been very careful washing my radiator since then though.
Thanks,
Old 08-07-2023, 09:31 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for reply. A bit more information after talking to local Ford Truck service.
The motor for the Hydromax has the power + applied to the stud on top of the motor which is behind the relay that drives the motor, both immediately under the master cylinder. When this gets wet or oily it creates a 'short' from the stud to the ground and this fools the Bosch Monitor brake controller to turn on the output that drives the relay. From an electrical standpoint this sounds a bit sketchy but that is what the tech told me, they see it on trucks that use the same Hydromax set up. Cleaning the electrical connection and the area around it and letting it dry out solves the problem. The shop does the same as we did they unplug the relay to stop the motor and let the area dry out for a day and then it works fine. Not something they see on the RV striped chassis but on the trucks, yes.
So we are always learning new tidbits about these machines....
pneumatics is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, motor