Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy_MD View Post
Thank you all for your informative response to my queries.

Although I am tempted to install four Koni FSD shocks, I am hesitant due to the light mileage (12K) on my lifetime warranty Bilstines (OEM).

Basically, for my MH, this is a $860 gamble.

Additionally, I am a bit concerned regarding the reviews (this forum and elsewhere) of the Konis. Some state no difference, some state a bit of difference, a small majority state a vast improvement. I have tried to read these reviews while taking into account both the buyer-justification and buyer-remorse factors. I can only assume that the variance of the reviews is due to chassis age, loading, tire pressure, driving style, and, most importantly, expectations.

I'll continue to research, read and keep my credit card on hot-standby.

Again, thanks.
Katherine
I agree with you, if your old shocks are not worn out then you probably won't see much improvement. Mine was 9 years old so I thought I would try anything.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 04:01 AM   #16

While researching a GAWR question (another post on this forum), I am swayed to take the $860 gamble. In fact, have already placed my bet.

While talking to a suspension shop owner regarding an observation of my rear springs, I brought up the subject of shock absorbers. I told him I had Bilsteins shocks. His reply, "Those are great shocks [pause] for a service truck". He then went on to explain how the Bilsteins were valved vs the Konis (he lost me at gas and fluid differences and rebound rate percentages - I went into mind blur).

Although I truly appreciated his candor and subject matter expertise, I asked him to simplify his response to a recommendation - or a response my uneducated mind could comprehend.

Basically, he stated I will note a marked difference when I replace my relatively new OEM Bilsteins with the Koni shocks. He also stated not to get my expectations too high regarding the ride quality of my MH on the F-53 chassis. He stated the MH will still ride like a truck with the Koni shocks, albeit it will be a much nicer riding truck.

He had nothing to gain/loose from his recommendations because a local shop is performing the install and I ordered the shocks online. It is always refreshing to talk to an individual both enthusiastic about their profession and willing to share their knowledge freely. If his shop was closer he would have my business.

I'll post back when I have these installed and finish a trip - sometime in November.

Thanks,
Katherine
Kathy_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How's the ride

Any feedback on your new Koni's? I am anxious to hear your review.
New2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
A year ago, after reading many shock stories, I decided to try the Monroe RV shocks. They are a softer shock which seem to transmit less of the sharp hits while still providing control. That and my Hankooks running 75 psi in the front have helped alot. Hankook charts only go down to 80psi as do other mfg's but with the light front end 75psi is OK. My TST system doesn't ever report any unusual temperature increases. As a matter of fact, the fronts run cooler than the rears at 80-85psi. The Monroes are not that expensive either.
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmar10 View Post
Has anyone installed SumoSprings on their Ford chassis?
Im' late on this thred but a friend of mine recomends the sumos. What I have read on their site is they are a solid high density foam and act like an airbag.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #20

I may be shocked

I may be in the same boat. 1997-F53. Was wondering if I go to Koni's, should we also go to a wider tire. Have 16 in on a gasser and it seems ride is dictated by road, as going down right lane that is indented by big trucks, rocking and rolling in groves TP seems a non starter.
Orchardhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #21

If the coach is a keeper bite the bullet and go for the full air suspension, yes you will probably spend 10 large but there isn't anything that can compare to riding on air, hey that rhymes.

Plus, if will be alot easier to get rid of the old hag when it has the air bags, on a roll here.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchardhill View Post
I may be in the same boat. 1997-F53. Was wondering if I go to Koni's, should we also go to a wider tire. Have 16 in on a gasser and it seems ride is dictated by road, as going down right lane that is indented by big trucks, rocking and rolling in groves TP seems a non starter.
I have a 97 F53 chassis, when loaded for travel it weighs in at 15K, I travel light. For me the FSD's (which are available only for the front) were a waste of money. I had replaced one year old Monroe's. If you are considerably heavier than that, then they might help.

Have to be carefull going to a wider 16" tire, make sure the rim width is sufficient, most on MH's are not.

We eliminated a lot of rock and roll and wind/truck push when we installed rear air bags. Also, having a proper alignment is critical, especially the caster.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
If the coach is a keeper bite the bullet and go for the full air suspension, yes you will probably spend 10 large but there isn't anything that can compare to riding on air, hey that rhymes..
rough road,
There is also one other option that Ford Owners may want to consider and that's Mor-Ryde. Air bag suspensions are not always the best solutions for gasoline powered motorcoaches.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:34 AM   #24
KJB

I wonder what ever happened to Katherine who started this thread. I was anxious to hear her assessment of her new Koni shocks.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:19 AM   #25

DriVer, MorRyde has a very established track record on medium/heavy duty vehicles and if our old rv had the couple of inches above the axles we would have put the rears in, for the money it does not seem that you could go wrong.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2003 Fleetwood Storm RV on the Ford chassis. What is a guesstimate of what it would cost to install the Mor-Ryde?
New2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2this View Post
I have a 2003 Fleetwood Storm RV on the Ford chassis. What is a guesstimate of what it would cost to install the Mor-Ryde?
Call Mor-Ryde and tell them that you heard about their product on iRV2.com. "PLEASE" 574.293.1581

I'm sure they can get you a quote right away since they've done a lot of vehicles in your type and year.

Obviously, No purchase necessary. Just let them know you heard about Mor-Ryde right here.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I checked Mor Ryde price right after I bought my '97 F53 chassis, it was right around $1500 per axle installed (this was in '06). Don't remember the part/labor breakdown. I nearly fainted.