Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #1

I need to pull the intake on 1999 V-10. What all should I take care of?

New-to-us clean 1999 Bounder with 40,000 miles. Mouse chewed through knock sensor wire. I'm considering pulling the intake manifold to replace sensor and inspect coolant pipe at rear of water pump. If rusty, replace pipe with new one?...or modify somehow? I also will inspect plastic intake manifold around crossover pipe as my research indicates cracks commonly form there. Will replace thermostat and gaskets. Will do plugs at the same time. Torque plugs to 28 foot pounds? with NO anti-seize or WITH anti-seize? Replace coils? If so are the cheap coils ok or should I stay with Ford brand? Is there anything else to consider inspecting/replacing while doing this project? Engine has poor, lopey idle...like hotrod cam. But no check engine codes. Drive's ok. I'm hoping knock sensor, coils or fuel filter may clear up the idle issue.
Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #2

Definitely replace that heat pipe. I'm planning to take my manifold off just to do that single item preemptively.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like everything you listed is a good plan..

I re-used the intake manifold gasket. mine was in good shape and had a lot of resilience.

Follow the procedure to remove the plugs. You don't want to get a bunch of crap down in the cylinders. Make sure to install a hi-flow thermostat. Install new COPS and plugs. use just a tiny bit of antisieze on the threads. Use ONLY Autolite APP103. torque to 28 ft lbs

If you scroll down to "REASSEMBLY NOTES" in this article, it shows how I repaired the heater pipe.

F53 Repairing broken exhaust manifold studs – 1999 Southwind 35S

Clean your MAF sensor. verify you have the water intrusion intake TSB complied with.

http://www.1999southwind.com/clean-maf-sensor/

http://www.1999southwind.com/tsb-air...ter-ingestion/

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #4

I had a 2000 v10 ford. I was considering changing my spark plugs with 60,000 miles until I heard about the possibility of them blowing out if incorrectly torqued. Those plugs are good for 100k, so unless you really feel the need to change them, I wouldn't touch them. This video explains the reason behind it. Good luck.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...60&FORM=WRVORC
Old 06-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I had a 2000 v10 ford. I was considering changing my spark plugs with 60,000 miles until I heard about the possibility of them blowing out if incorrectly torqued. Those plugs are good for 100k, so unless you really feel the need to change them, I wouldn't touch them. This video explains the reason behind it. Good luck.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...60&FORM=WRVORC

I've read about the spark plug problems and detailed replacement procedures. I realize they are not due with 40,000 miles, but my thought was that they probably are 20 years old. I plan to take it slow and easy when attempting to remove. Hopefully all goes well. If not, a major can of worms could be opened.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Sounds like everything you listed is a good plan..

I re-used the intake manifold gasket. mine was in good shape and had a lot of resilience.

Follow the procedure to remove the plugs. You don't want to get a bunch of crap down in the cylinders. Make sure to install a hi-flow thermostat. Install new COPS and plugs. use just a tiny bit of antisieze on the threads. Use ONLY Autolite APP103. torque to 28 ft lbs

If you scroll down to "REASSEMBLY NOTES" in this article, it shows how I repaired the heater pipe.

F53 Repairing broken exhaust manifold studs – 1999 Southwind 35S

Clean your MAF sensor. verify you have the water intrusion intake TSB complied with.

Clean MAF Sensor – 1999 Southwind 35S

TSB air intake reduces water ingestion on F53 – 1999 Southwind 35S

Thanks again Waiter21. Your responses and website contain a wealth of great information.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:48 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
NOTES:

When I put the COPs on, I used a cotton swab, put a dab of di-electric grease on it, then wipe this up inside the first 1/4 inch of the rubber boot that slides over the plug. This will prevent the boot from sticking to the plug and make extraction easier in the future.

If You remove the two gasoline fuel lines (supply and return), before removing them, remove the fuel filler cap on the gas tank. This will prevent pressure from building up inside the gas tank and pushing all your gas out the two disconnected fuel lines.

My OEM plugs had 65k miles on them when I replaced them. They all looked good but I was surprised how much they had worn. The gaps were almost double. I had no codes set. ALSO - I was somewhat ALARMED at how easy they came out. Almost like they were only snugged up. (my calibrated arm doesn't do well to measure torque down at 200 inch lbs.)
Old 07-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #8

Waiter,
Plugs in our old 99 V10 had 114,000 on them & they really didnt look that bad. Has a slight skip when first getting on the gas, but as the rpm went up it went away is the reason for the plug & cop change out.
That skip is still there though even with the new parts. Could it be from injectors with that many miles or maybe a lifter I've heard some talk about on the V10s.
Oh, had a friend that has changed out quite a few plugs on the 5.4s & he had no problem at all changing them out on this 99 V10.
Neil
Old 07-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
That skip is still there though even with the new parts
I assuem "new parts" means new plugs and COPs..

I've seen reports of injector orings and injectors causing missing. o-rings are kind of easy to replace, just lift the fuel rails.

Get scan data and see if you have a cylinder missing. then swap injectors to see if problem follows.

Double check intake path. the hoses ducts for cracks or dry rot. Air filter, MAF sensor clean, etc.

ALSO - Transmission issues can sometimes disguise themselves as engine issues. Did you do the 1st / 2nd gear transmission TSB??

Look very carefully at U-joints for binding or broken casings,.

Tags