Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2022, 05:00 PM   #1

Info on alternate tires F53

I’ve read many threads over the years regarding tire brands other than GY or Michelin for a F53. Not sure or remember if folks were dealing with 19.5 or 22 so here’s the question. What tire brands/model have people had good success with in 19.5 that provide decent ride (better than GY’s) and service.

I’m needing to replace both fronts due to under inflating and/or alignment issue.

Thanks for any information.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2022, 05:10 PM   #2

I replaced my new Goodyear steer tires with Toyos on my 19.5 for balance issues and reading several posts on blowouts. I have been pleased with them.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I have Sumitomos, no issues in 2 years.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:58 PM   #4

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:50 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I put on Toyo’s and haven’t had any problems. Honestly can’t say they ride any better than the Hankooks that were on there before.
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 04:28 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Replaced the stock tires with TOYO and like them much better than the stock GY tires. Has a better softer ride and they were only $1,500 cheaper than any of the other top name brands. We also have the 19.5" tires.

When you do this make sure you check the tires date of manufacturer and ask them to make sure the tires are all made as close together as possible. Tires begin to age as soon as they are made. Most are kept inside to avoid the UV rays but more than likely your original chassis sat outside for 6 or better months at the RV manufacturer so they are already aging.

Sometimes if a tire seller does a slow business the tires will tend to be a bit older. We drove over to Tulsa (100 miles) to Southern Tire Mart. They do nothing but change truck tires as well as RV tires. They had 6 TOYO's that were close to the same month.

We have a STM shop locally but they wouldn't work with me on finding closely made dated tires. I called the Tulsa shop and they had some. The local shop lost my business because they didn't even check with Tulsa and offer to have them shipped here. I also went into the shop and watched the guys work. There were no shop rules telling you to stay out of the shop. Learned a lot about how those tires are changed. Kind of neat!!!!
Old 04-18-2022, 10:57 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm going to replace all 6 of my 19.5 tires soon. I'll use the Sumitomo ST719 245/70R19.5 G/14PLY Tires from Big 'O' Tires in Rolla, Missouri. I've been putting it off for over a year now but it's time.

Here's link to a place that handles them. I only offer it so you can get a look at these tires. I don't know anything about "Tires Easy"

https://www.tires-easy-truck.com/245...recode/5533485
The ST719 replaced the ST718 a little over a year ago and is an upgrade. I stopped in Big 'O' a year ago and priced the tires. They said they'd been putting them on UPS trucks for quite awhile with great results.

I bought a new MH in 2001 on the F53 chassis. It came with Goodyear 670s on it. I had nothing but trouble with those tires trying to stop them from bouncing. Over the years I spent more that $2000 trying to balance them. At first Ford stood good on them after they issued a TSB covering how to properly mount and balance them. Of the 9 tires I had (a tag axle and a spare) no less than 5 of them and 3 rims were replaced. I never was happy with their results. I'll go with the ST719s and have them roadforce balanced hoping for a smooth ride.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #8

Thanks for all the responses.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:50 AM   #9

I went with Toyo M154’s, fronts only. So far the look good, ride good.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:11 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Replaced the stock tires with TOYO and like them much better than the stock GY tires. . . . . . . We drove over to Tulsa (100 miles) to Southern Tire Mart. They do nothing but change truck tires as well as RV tires. They had 6 TOYO's that were close to the same month.

We have a STM shop locally but they wouldn't work with me on finding closely made dated tires. I called the Tulsa shop and they had some. The local shop lost my business because they didn't even check with Tulsa and offer to have them shipped here. I also went into the shop and watched the guys work. There were no shop rules telling you to stay out of the shop. Learned a lot about how those tires are changed. Kind of neat!!!!
Just installed the second set of Toyo's on my coach. Way better than the "Badyears" that we started out with. The Toyo's lasted 8 years but due to age it was time to replace. Got a deal on line and had them shipped to Southern Tire Mart in west Atlanta. Bad choice for many reasons.
1. They lost the 6 tire shipment in the store. How do you lose a pallet of 6 MH tires? What was worse I sat there for 6 hours waiting for them to find the tires before they said anything. Along with that they asked me to pay for installation which was already paid for through the on line seller. Left and drove thirty miles back home.
2. I complained to the on line seller who shipped another set. STM called 2 days later and said they had the tires. Great! No, not really. I go in the next day and wait. And wait. And wait. 3 hours after I arrive at the appointed time they finally start on my tire install. Guess what? They found the original shipment.
3. STM did the fronts first. Then had me move the coach forward for the rears. Why didn't they bring the whole coach in and do them all at once? Plus they demanded I leave the garage area and wait in the lobby.
4. After I repositioned the coach for the rears I looked at the front install. They had the valve stems turned inboard. Now, how will one be able to add air if you can't get to the valve stem? Right there I knew this wasn't going to work out well.
5. 3 hours later I'm finally on my way home. Handling was awful and I noticed something but I couldn't put my finger on it. A couple of days later I figured it out. The lugs on the left rear duals were finger tight. Valve stems were turned inboard there too. Air pressure was 115 psi on some, 105 on others.
This was a total botch job. Never again with Southern Tire Mart no matter the location. Tejay, you were fortunate to get the service that you did. It took me a full afternoon to straighten out the botch job STM did. Heed this warning - Stay as far away from Southern Tire Mart as you can.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:51 AM   #11

I bought my 2011 Mirada (19.5") with Ironman commercial truck tires & had them fo 3 years (20,000 miles) with no issues. The ride was fine. I just traded for a Canyon Star (20.5") and put ToYo's on it. I've put about 2000 miles on them and so far they are as good as any I have ever owned.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:20 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been using Cooper roadmasters. Good success, reasonable price.
aviator37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:55 PM   #13

Hankooks!
Old 05-24-2022, 06:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I’ve read many threads over the years regarding tire brands other than GY or Michelin for a F53. Not sure or remember if folks were dealing with 19.5 or 22 so here’s the question. What tire brands/model have people had good success with in 19.5 that provide decent ride (better than GY’s) and service.

I’m needing to replace both fronts due to under inflating and/or alignment issue.

Thanks for any information.
I'm sure there are less expensive tires on the market than the Michelin XRV's. However you might also want to include factors like sidewall life and expected mileage into the overall cost calculation.

Our 2013 Adventurer 32H came with Michelin XRV's size 235/80R22.5. We just changed them out a month ago per the 10 year recommendation by Michelin. They had over 55,000 miles on them with no sidewall cracking and slightly less than 50% of the tread remaining. These tires lasted longer than any other tires we've purchased for our previous motorhome and were trouble free for their entire recommended lifespan.

Somethings to consider if you intend to keep your motorhome for an extended period.

Tags
f53, tire, tires