Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #1

Injectors

Any reason to not change injectors for preventive maintenance? I have 80K miles. Had a stored code for #10 leaking. No other real issues.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Any reason to not change injectors for preventive maintenance? I have 80K miles. Had a stored code for #10 leaking. No other real issues.
Not broke leave it alone. Perhaps keep one injector just in case[emoji12]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Not broke leave it alone. Perhaps keep one injector just in case[emoji12]

X2
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Back in the day when we had exhaust gas analyzers at the HS level I saw absolute proof that injector cleaning did work.

We'd read HC and CO before and after cleaning and it made a world of difference. What would I do today??? I'd run some Sea Foam through the system. I've sprayed carb cleaner into TBI's with good results. The carbon build up cleaned out improved idle.

Back in the day we had injector cleaners that we could hook into the fuel rail which was a more direct method. I really don't know what is being done since I've been out of it for 12 years.

When adding cleaners to the gas tank I'm not sure how effective it would work since it's not nearly as concentrated.

We have local repair places that do diesel injector cleaning and they are doing well. I know one of the shops owners. Maybe they'd do some cleaning on gas injectors.

If I have some time this week I'll stop and talk to them to see what's going on. I need to find out for myself.

If you don't hear from me send me a PM reminder.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seafoam really works. A coupe years ago I let my Yamaha EF2400 sit to0 long and the fuel system gummed up. I ran Seafoam through it and it is fine now. I became a believer!
Old 07-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #6

Thanks all. I'll seafoam treat and keep a spare or two on hand. How much seafoam?
Old 07-09-2018, 05:57 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Three things need to be evaluated:

1) What are the odds of the failure?

2) What are the consequences of the failure?

3) What are the costs to mitigate the potential failure (Preventative replacement)?

As for injectors. I believe the odds of failure are minimal. The consequences would be minimal (not broke down beside the road).

I believe our patterns can aggravate injector problems, the long times sitting in storage.

The cost of preventive replacement would be fairly high, depending on purchase..

I probably won't be replacing injectors as preventative,
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1) If you have to change one, maybe change the bank while the fuel rail is loose; 2) Alternately, at a minimum, change ALL RUBBER SEALS ON THE BANK; 3) order a full set of seals to have on-hand when you disassemble. 4) Rebuilt can save a bunch $$, and be just as reliable as new, from my experience selling new and rebuilt for 7 years (Try rockauto.com)? 5) injector cleaner maybe worth a shot for 25-100-miles and see if it cures the code? 6) LUCAS Injector cleaner is a lube, (label states it is NOT a solvent). 7) I use LUCAS in my 1999, also great fan of MMO for fuel tank and Oil (Marvel Mystery Oil)
Luck to you. TerryH