Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2021, 03:27 PM   #1

Exclamation Injectors not firing.

First time on a forum so bare with me. We have 1991 Gerorgie Boy we're working on. Has the Ford 53 chassis with the Ford 460 motor in it. Just replaced a fuel pump but motorhome will still not start. Checked and there is fuel all the way up to the fuel rail. Pulled injector clips off and checked for power with noid light. Noid light did not light up. So proceeded to check voltage. On power side of injectors have 12v. On ground side I'm showing 8v. At first I was thinking there might be an open or short on the ground side since there is voltage on the ground side. So I test for an open or high resistance between the powertrain control module and the injectors ground side. There was neither high resistance or an open. Upon further investigation I've read the injectors are ground side switched through the PCM. Tried out another PCM from a van that had a 460 in it also. Still no luck. Kept looking for more information and seen something about a PIP signal from the distributor also playing a part in the injector operation. So grabbed another distributor and hooked up noid lights again with yet again no luck. Also did check for high resistance at the injectors themselves. The resistance was within spec.

So my main question is what gives a signal to the PCM to fire the injectors? I've heard of a possible fault TFI/ICM but not very familiar with the ford fuel systems. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I've been searching for weeks for any information on this situation.

Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2021, 04:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
So what makes you think there is a problem with the voltage on the ground side if its switched ground. If it's not switched to fire you would expect 12+ volts on a ground side switch.

Since an injector would be switching many times a second to ground (0 v) you would expect an average voltage showing up less then the nominal 12v. Might it be 8v, maybe???

Not sure my thinking is correct???
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:58 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocross View Post
So my main question is what gives a signal to the PCM to fire the injectors? I've heard of a possible fault TFI/ICM but not very familiar with the ford fuel systems.
The Injectors are grouped in sets called banks. Bank one has 4 Injectors and bank 2 has 4 injectors. They are fired by grounding one bank and then the other when the PCM Computer sees the PIP train from the Distributor.

Does the CEL light up when you turn on the key and does it go off when you start to crank the engine?
subford is offline   Reply With Quote