Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2023, 01:14 PM   #1

Installer for F53 Chassis Track Bar

To ameliorate fishtailing caused by gusty winds and passing trucks while towing my Subaru with my 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T I am considering installing a track bar on my F53 chassis. Can anyone recommend an installer located in northwest Washington? Also, any feedback from anyone who has installed a track bar on this particular chassis would be appreciated.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2023, 02:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did a DIY trackbar on 2010 Vista 32k (22k chassis). Made a huge difference in the "tailwag" thing. Not not difficult install. Most any truck service place would handle it easily.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:59 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ultra RV Products
3912 Harrison Ave.
Centralia, Wa. 98531

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/inde...413&filter=677

I ordered one of these and put it on myself.

I was a little disappointed because the bow wave from trucks will still push my backend away as they approach and that means I have to correct with the steering wheel to keep from driving into their lane. My experience is that trackbars aren't 100% effective in preventing being pushed around. I hope you have better luck.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:07 AM   #4

The bow wave of a overtaking large truck is high up near the top of the truck.
That means it's hitting high up on the side of your RV house, causing it to sway.

A track bar prevents weather vane type movement, where the chassis moves parallel above the axle.

What you need is anti sway bars that prevent leaning or sway.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:55 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The bow wave of a overtaking large truck is high up near the top of the truck.
That means it's hitting high up on the side of your RV house, causing it to sway.

A track bar prevents weather vane type movement, where the chassis moves parallel above the axle.

What you need is anti sway bars that prevent leaning or sway.
When I first bought this MH, it felt "top heavy" I fixed that by doing the CHF on both front and rear swaybars and replaced the bushings with polyurethane so they'd be able to stand the added load. The change was amazing. Maybe the swaybar still isn't stout enough but the handling is so much improved, I can live with it now.

I also replaced the original shocks with Koni FSD shocks which helped smooth out the ride a lot but there's nothing can be done with the awful potholes on many stretches of the highways I just traveled.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:28 PM   #6

Well my son is an automotive engineer (PACCAR) and he just told me that he can do the installation. A quick online review revealed two trac bars that will fit: Roadmaster Davis Tru-Trac Bar and Supersteer SS401 Rear Trac Bar. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on either of these or any other brands?
Old 03-24-2023, 02:53 PM   #7

I have a Tiger Trak from UltraRV.
I think they are all pretty much look and work the same, IMHO.
I had them install it some time ago. They do NOT have techs working there any more since the pandemic unless they have changed in the last few months, and, I think they sold off their shop. They still have a parts store there.
Thats sad because the y are good to work with.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfbundy View Post
Well my son is an automotive engineer (PACCAR) and he just told me that he can do the installation. A quick online review revealed two trac bars that will fit: Roadmaster Davis Tru-Trac Bar and Supersteer SS401 Rear Trac Bar. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on either of these or any other brands?
I put a Supersteer SS400 on my coach 5 years ago. It works exactly as it is purported to work - ties the rear end down when towing or in crosswinds. I did the mod when I add Sumo Springs front and rear.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:43 PM   #9
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfbundy View Post
I installed the SS401 on my previous RV. Took approx 30 min to do. Nothing to it. It made a very noticeable difference in the push! I traded that RV in Dec for a larger chassis RV and removed the trac bar planning to transfer it over to the new RV. Unfortunately the new RV required a different model, thus I have had this trac bar for sale in the classifieds in the accessory section.

Check your PM
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:48 PM   #10

I install mine myself, unless you really don't want to do it yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4445.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	388798   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4446.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	388799  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4448.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	388800  
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:19 AM   #11

I checked the Supersteer Trac Bar model number again and my 18,000 GVWR F53 requires the SS400. I don't know why it gave me the wrong model number the first time, but it's always a good idea to check twice. With due respect to those who say I need heavier sway bars, I am going to install the trac bar first and go from there. The trac bar is a relatively cheap option.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:55 AM   #12

Actually the CHF, cheap handling fix is the cheapest upgrade.

It involves moving 4 bolts, 2 on each anti sway bar.

You remove the bolts at the links, swing the links back while turning the bars in the bushing and placing the bolts in the other set of holes.
Doing that creates more torsion on the horizontal section of the anti sway bar when the RV tries to lean. More torsion = less lean.

1000s of satisfied customers.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, f53, install