Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #1

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Overland Owners Club
Insulation behind cabinets over dash area

I have removed the factory tv from above the dash and installed a flat screen. There seems to be a lot of space that insulation could be put up there.
Has any one done this and if so what product did you use.
HC-1 phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could use fiberglass NO vapor barrier and make sure to give the TV room to vent. You could also look at some the furnace pipe peel and stick its not thick but does a decent job of sound deading.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I used 2" styrofoam. My windshield wiper mechanism is in that area also so using any type of blanket or loose insulation could cause interference. I taped the styrofoam in position about 8" behind the tv. I didn't modify my tv cabinet so there is a gap completely around my tv & cabinet. I cut a piece of interior vinyle to fit & installed it with velcro. There is plenty of air movement from inside the coach & it is easy to gain access to the rear of the tv.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed rattletrap sound dampener directly to the fiberglass part of the body. Then I stuffed fiberglass insulation (no vapor barrier) between the fiberglass shell and the cabinet. I think it made a significant difference in the noise level.
cpr_vbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #5

I used the stuff I purchased at Menards in a roll, it is like 1/4", flat bubble wrap and looks chrome on each side, I cut it into 2' wide strips and stuffed it on each side behind the cabinets. It has worked a bit, but I will put more up there when I find another material that I think will work better. I personally would not use loose figerglass insulation as it will work its way into the cabin if not covered with some type of plastic.
cheers,
Kevo
Kevoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC-1 phil View Post
I have removed the factory tv from above the dash and installed a flat screen. There seems to be a lot of space that insulation could be put up there.
Has any one done this and if so what product did you use.
I did exactly what you are considering in our motorhome back in 2006. I used the non faced fiberglass roll insulation from Home Depot (can't remember the R value). In our case the cabinets in the front were getting so hot the satellite reciever box would shut off if we didn't leave the cabinet doors open. Since adding the insulation we haven't hd any problems with the electronics overheating and the AC works better as well. As mentioned earlier make sure you leave enough open space behind the television so it will cool properly.

Tags
dash