Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2021, 04:44 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Is Heater supply line reversed ? poor AC

I've read post stating that the supply line for heater/ AC were reversed on some chassis's. Winnebago's had reversed lines and from what I've read thier supply should be from manifold. Trying to figure if mine is or not, to sort out my AC problem. Hot air when driving, but coool as start up. My supply comes from the water pump and return goes to the manifold. Does anyone know wether this is correct. I know on cars supply comes from the manifold by thermostat. I don't want to wait for an appointment 1 month down the road to get ford to look at it under warranty. then wait for them to fix it.

2021 Fleetwood Bounder 3400 miles, basicly new , I think previous owner (bought in March 21) traded because of issues, Spark plug wires (I fixed) , AC and who know what else tpo ome .

Any help is much appreciated
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2021, 04:59 PM   #2

Put a 1/4 turn hand valve in the water line and close. If AC remains cold, you’ve confirmed the issue. Now it’s just determining if the dash controlled water return valve is good or not.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:29 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know its hot water getting into the core cuasing the issue, . I can accomplish that with a clamp on the line but that doesn't tell me what the problem is.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #4

Swap the lines and then compare results.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:46 PM   #5

I've got a '21 bounder with everything working well. Send me a PM with some pics of how your hoses are routed and I can compare them with mine tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Swap the lines and then compare results.
X2 on that! The control valve should be the only thing in the line to control the water flow through the core. Assuming the valve is electronically actuated, then making sure all connectors in the wiring harness are tightly connected would be my first check.
If mechanically operated, then insuring the cable is properly adjusted.

One thing I’ve not understood - regardless of which side of the core the valve is on, no water flow should be flowing then the valve and thus the core, or vice-versa - so am having trouble understanding why it makes a difference.
Now, if the valve is flow sensitive as to how well it seals in the closed position, then that’s another story and understandable.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:02 AM   #7

Usually this A/C problem is the heater valve leaking by. However other things can cause the same issue. Loose compressor belt, slipping compressor clutch, low voltage to the clutch, dirty condenser and or radiator, wet charge of refrigerant, over charge of refrigerant, under charge. There are others as well that I have seen over the years.

Good luck. Work on the easy/cheap stuff first.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Evans , who makes the control valve says that if flow is reversed the valve will let water by, disigned to flow only one way. Also can ruin the valve. I'll probably just swap them and see. Can't swap on engine due to different sized hose. One hose (off water pump) has a larger end 1" then reduced to 3/4". I'll swap them at the valve.

Winnebago has a TSB on this , don't know what Fleetwood hasn't.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #9

Too hot

My question is, has this been going on for s while or just start? If it just started then either your coolsnt control valve took a dump, OR your temputure blend door device has failed, being either electronic or Mechanical! You said the hoses on the engine are two different sizes what about on the heater… same size? If there is a bullitin from winebago concerning this they should have a diagram of flow direction, homework always trumps trial and error.
rikadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:06 AM   #10

Well, our good friend OEMYS who is a contributor on this board has the following on his website -

http://www.oemys-performance.com/med...on%20valve.pdf

Hope it helps! ��
Old 09-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikadoo View Post
My question is, has this been going on for s while or just start? If it just started then either your coolsnt control valve took a dump, OR your temputure blend door device has failed, being either electronic or Mechanical! You said the hoses on the engine are two different sizes what about on the heater… same size? If there is a bullitin from winebago concerning this they should have a diagram of flow direction, homework always trumps trial and error.
Never worked right as far as I know. Was traded to dealer that way 3400 miles on it.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:43 PM   #12

So.. do you own a basic automotive a/c repair book ?
Old 09-07-2021, 08:10 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
No book, but have read a bunch on internet. Narrowing it down to incorrect supply line, control valve or temp dial. Leaning toward supply, based on a Winnebago TSB, indicating that some were reversed. Thats why I was asking if anyone knew for sure if it should come from water pump or manifold. I'm going to just switch and see, just haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #14

Just because Winnebago's line workers swapped the lines doesn't mean Fleetwood's have. The ac/heater doesn't come from Ford it is supplied by the home manufacturer

As I said before, send me a picture of how yours is routed and I will confirm on my identical RV how mine are routed. Unless you just like refilling coolant... Then more power to you.

Tags
heat, heater