Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmmm... installed Koni shocks on two MH. F53 and FL-XC. Substantially improved ride on both. Sorry if your experiences were not up to your expectations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
Shocks alone will never improve the ride on any MH. I too have installed KONI they LOOK GREAT but did not improve ride at all not even a little
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #16

Just replaced the original shocks with Koni after 21000 miles. Night and day difference. Smoother ride especially during harsh road conditions.

Worth the money!
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed Koni FSDs at 18,000 miles. I already had Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, Roadmaster Rear Anti-Swaybar and Sumo Springs f/r.

I noticed a slight improvement over small bumps on good roads.

On bad roads and bridge transitions I still had the same lousy harsh banging ride that the Ford F53 “dump truck” chassis is widely known for.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
Relhub, did you try anything that improved the ride? All I want to do is smooth out the harsh, jolting, jarring ride over potholes, expansion joints, etc. My tire pressure is correct.
Thanks,
Not yet however I did purchased AIR BAGS for all four corners.
I have not yet installed them so I can't say.
I will post once I install them
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #19

Koni Shock Purchase

Has anyone purchase Koni Shocks or any other products through this website, Shop - Carlim Store.
They have them for an unbelievable price along with a first time buyer discount.
Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.
rtoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoy2 View Post
Has anyone purchase Koni Shocks or any other products through this website, Shop - Carlim Store.
They have them for an unbelievable price along with a first time buyer discount.
Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.
I have no knowledge of this company - but then neither do you.

They are not a US company, though their ownership is hidden their server is in Amsterdam.

You know the old saying about too good to be true.

You can take your chance there if you wish. But I'd not buy shocks for my RV from some unknown company.

In fact, there is a US company that advertises super cheap prices on these shocks but says they are sold out at present and you must place your order and wait (Shockwarehouse.com). There are hundreds of reports on RV sites about folks not getting their shocks for months and not getting refunds either.

That seller claims no one has them in stock, that it's not just them. Yet others, selling at higher prices do have them in stock.

I spent the extra ~$130 to buy from a seller that both had the shocks in stock and has good reviews (ultrarvproducts.com). My shocks came in 5 days from the day I ordered.

Let us know how it goes if you give it a try.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #21
NXR

Maybe. When I was looking for F53 FSD's last September/October a lot of places claiming they had them in stock did not when I called.

I called Koni and they confirmed the shortage. They said they were dribbling in from China and told me when the next batch was coming into the US.

I kept watching the sites that showed out of stock and successfully grabbed some the day they showed in stock. I think Brazel's finally had the fronts available.

Ray
Old 02-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought Koni FSDs for our Phaeton from SuperSteer (Henderson's Line Up) last week and they arrived yesterday.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 02-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #23

I just ordered front and rear FSD Koni's from "Koni North America" yesterday. I talked with a truck service shop in town and they will install them and do a full alignment (not sure if I need it or not, but probably do).
I only have 11,000 miles but I'm getting a new crown on a tooth and do not want to jar it off on the next trip!
I'll try to give an update once they are installed and I test them out.
Thanks
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #24

Send a message via ICQ to Vicr Send a message via AIM to Vicr
My OEM Bilstiens are on the floor of my shed. The FSD's went in at 5000 miles. A night and day difference especially on [moderator edit] poorly maintained roads.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
My OEM Bilstiens are on the floor of my shed. The FSD's went in at 5000 miles. A night and day difference especially on [moderator edit] poorly maintained roads.
See, I find this hard to believe, this "night and day" business. One guy says no difference, another says a slight improvement and another says "night and day". Which ones sound reasonable? Not the last one.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
See, I find this hard to believe, this "night and day" business. One guy says no difference, another says a slight improvement and another says "night and day". Which ones sound reasonable? Not the last one.
I would guess it might also depend on the MH you are putting them on.

Bob
hedhunter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Mine was a noticeable improvement over the Bilsteins. The ride smoothed out greatly.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Like most suspension mods there is no objective measurements to back it up, just "butt dyno" measurements.

Konis are a tough one, the physics are sound but hard to tell if they actually do what they say without measuring vibration, opinions are all over the place unlike say upgraded sway bars which have pretty consistent opinions.

Closest true test I found was one done by a guy who installed liquid springs but had quad konis before that (and sumos and all sorts of track bars, then compared to stock suspension, this was the results using actual vibration measurements:

Click image for larger version

Name:	graph.thumb.jpg.00416794f60b5de32148afa4b32dac43.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	276518

Of course 4 shocks are going to be more stiff than 2 along with all the other stuff so really hard to tell if Konis are softer when they need to be and stiffer otherwise. Because thats the key here you want your suspension to be both soft over bumps and stiff when the body leans but the suspension is moving pretty much the same either way. Konis try to change valving based on frequency, fast movements are bumps (10hz) slow movements are body lean (1hz), but it just a mechanical system so who knows how accurate and fast it responds. Liquid springs is computer controlled with closed loop feedback, some diesels have air suspension with that sort of control too (HWH Active Air).

Tags
koni, shocks