Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Koni FSD shocks installed by owner

Hi Everyone,

How easy is it to install Koni FSD shocks on a 2003 Coachmen with an F53 chassis? I assume I'll need a hydraulic jack with a specific weight rating and a couple of jack stands. Any information you can provide is greatly apprecieated!

Thanks,
Dan
Dan 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #2

No jack needed on my 2007 Class A Winni. Plenty of room to work under. Turn front wheels from side to side to reach in easier. You will need an Impact gun and a breaker bar and lots of elbow grease. Hardest part is loosening the old shocks. Attach the tops of new shocks before cutting strap on new shocks and guide into lower mount. Took me about 1 1/2 hours for front and rear.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Campingman!

I changed shocks on cars in my younger years, but this is my 1st MH and I'm a learner again. Now I just need to order the shocks and I'm away to the races. By the sounds of the feedback, these shocks will improve my ride. I just bought my 2003 Coachmen Mirada 300QB and when driving it home I could really feel the big trucks passing me and there was quite a bit of vibration (especially over 60mph). I had a mechanical inspection performed before I bought it, but will take it in again this year to have the front-end rechecked as well as wheel balancing and alignment.

Regards,
Dan
Old 04-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hardest part for me was also breaking the nuts loose on the old shocks. On the rear upper, could not get a socket and impact wrench on them. Had to use a wrench and cheater. Broke one wrench .

Are your old shocks worn out or are you just wanting a smoother ride. I will add that 4 new Koni's didn't help my ride any at all but if you're willing to spent that much money, have at it.

Wife finally made me trade to get a smoother ride.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Wizard,

I don't think they're worn out, not leaking anyways. I'm just interested in a smoother ride and a little more sway control (I hear Koni's help a little with sway too). I guess I better get my wife in the MH for a ride soon and maybe she'll make me get my upgrades sooner

Have a good night!
Dan
Old 04-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Trac bars are going to help a lot more with passing trucks and cross winds than shocks. Btw Koni shocks are one of the easiest shock to install because they are hydraulic and you can manually compress them with out them springing back.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd be heading in to see you if only we lived closer to you. Have a good day!

Regards,
Dan
Old 04-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed my Konis and noticed that the expansion strips no longer felt like potholes.

I tried a IR 1/2" impact wrench, no luck, then I bought a big breaker bar from HF. Couldn't get enough swing. So I just used my 1 1/8" combination wrench with a floor jack for muscle on the nut with my 1/2" socket set against the frame to hold the bolt end from turning . Worked like a charm.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #9

Man it is good to see all of this good ole American ingenuity still alive and kicking.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #10

Keep us posted on how the new shocks do. Thanks--
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are not satisfied with the ride after the shock change, Try air bags. I installed dozens of Ride Rite air bags on my customers F53's and never had a customer who didn't think it was a great improvement. The first thing I did after buying my Pace,was to install front airbags. (keep the press at about 25psi for a great ride.)
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #12

Must agree with ga traveler, the Koni FSD shocks worked wonders, added the ride-rite bags front and rear, now like icing on the cake. Run between 60 & 70 psi rear and 20-25psi front. I highly recommend them.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Put your money in air bags, front and rear. You won't be sorry on your F53 chassis, and as Jim said "20 to 25" in the front and "60 to 70" in the rear.