Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #1

OK, I am going to show my ignorance on this one. Is it possible to install the Koni shocks on the F53 chassis by yourself or is there special gear you need. Please don't be brutal pointing out my ignorance

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #2

OK, I am going to show my ignorance on this one. Is it possible to install the Koni shocks on the F53 chassis by yourself or is there special gear you need. Please don't be brutal pointing out my ignorance

2005 Honda Element
Old 02-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #3

I have a Spartan Alpine GT chassis and not an F53 BUT...

I think in my case I need a 1/2" or larger air impact and socket, a liberal pre-soaking of some rust eating penetrant spray on the bolt/threads and some patience. I am planning on doing mine this coming weekend so I will let you all know how it goes.

Not knowing your particular model, I would still think that some HD versions of common hand/air tools should do the trick. If mine won't budge, I will go to my FIL's for the BIG compressor and REALLY BIG air impact wrench.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put a new set of shocks on my 1999 with my 1/2" drive tools.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I put Monroe's on mine, but did it with My 1/2 drive impact and sockets. The rears were a little difficult but no big deal.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #6

Any other tools necessary than the wrenches?

2005 Honda Element
Old 02-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I put mine on with just hand tools and grunt work. If they come with straps holding them don't cut the strap until the top of the shock is installed and slide the bottom bolt in as it's working it's way down after you've cut he strap. And if you miss use a small jack to realign.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bjbkkb:
OK, I am going to show my ignorance on this one. Is it possible to install the Koni shocks on the F53 chassis by yourself or is there special gear you need. Please don't be brutal pointing out my ignorance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on your physical condition. If you are accustomed to heavy work and in reasonably good health then it can be done with a good quality and length 1/2 drive breaker bar and ratchet set with 6 point sockets. Air tools of good quality can make the job easier however most of the homeowners grade air tools would usually be insufficient. I have seen some air tools that were their owner pride and joy but were not capable of removing shocks from a Dodge Caravan. These were usually owned by dear friends who were of slight build and not accustomed to heavy work so they were not physically capable of applying the force required to use the breaker bar. A little assistence from a 250 lb gorilla with a breaker bar is usually all it takes to overcome this.

Respectable breaker bar:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=30395

Sockets:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1676

Gorilla of your choosing.
ie: http://z.about.com/d/phoenix/1/5/b/b/gorilla.jpg

If a gorilla is not available then air tools of this caliber may be required:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2623
Old 02-20-2008, 02:52 AM   #9

Neil V thanks. Love your "Gorilla of your choosing"

2005 Honda Element
Old 03-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I used combination wrenches and a short handle 10 lb. sledge hammer. There is not that much room under there for the long breaker bars. Brute force rather than torque, in my case. The fronts are easy it's the rears that take the time and patence.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #11
cj7

I just switched over to the Konis at home. Took off the old Motorcrafts. Got 3 switched over just using a good impact wrench in about an hour. The 4th one must have been torqued almost to the point of breaking. I bought a 25" breaker bar but couldn't enough swing with it to work. Finally put my socket wrench on the nut and let it wrap around to the axle and used my 1 1/8" combination wrench on the bolt with a floor jack pushing on the end of the wrench to finally break it loose. Even then I had to get almost a half turn before the impact wrench would finish the job.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
Edw

Ditto on the floor jack. Replaced my rear shocks and set the wrench on frame and used the floor jack to push handle of other wrench up. Lowered jack, reset wrench and did this 4 or 5 times before I could turn by hand. Also soaked the system with liquid wrench a few days prior. This system seemed to be well controlled and safe. Be aware the gas lines do run on the rails of the frame near the bolts.

Sea Breeze 31'
Edw is offline   Reply With Quote