Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #85

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you, I guess the problem is I'm accessing their site on my tablet and there is no column on the left.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #86

In previous conversations about the Koni FSD, I was asked to post what I thought of them after replacing the stock Bilsteins. I just finished a 2800+ mile trip from the Florida panhandle to central NY and back with new Koni FSD shocks on the front.

On roads I had traveled previously, I was able to recognize a noticeable difference with the Konis. I was able to feel the difference and improvement in many places I used to dread driving. With the new shocks on just the front, I was also able to tell the difference in how the front axle was not experiencing as harsh an impact as the rear over the same road bumps. So, are the Konis and improvement? I have to say yes.

That being said, I still experienced many, many of the jaw-jarring bumps in the road that I had hoped the Konis would soften, but did not. It's likely not news to any of you that the condition of America's highways is pretty sad. I've concluded that when we're moving 20,000lbs over poor roads at 65 MPH, no shock is going to be able to make those bad bumps disappear.

Other posters have mentioned the Monroe Magnums and the new Bilstein that is supposed to be a rival to the Koni FSD, and the discussions usually come down to value. With that in mind, here's my conclusion.

I don't mind spending some extra money to get the result I'm after. If the Konis could eliminate that horrible hammering of the worst road bumps, then I'd gladly pay the higher cost. The Konis did make a noticeable difference, but only up to a point. If they only softened the blow and no shock is able to eliminate the harshest of bumps and I still have to have my jaw reset when I get home, then why not save some money and go with a less expensive improvement over the stock Bilstein? Naturally, I'm going to leave the Konis up front. But when I order the rear set, I'm probably going to get the Monroe Magnums.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydglydrydr View Post
In previous conversations about the Koni FSD, I was asked to post what I thought of them after replacing the stock Bilsteins. I just finished a 2800+ mile trip from the Florida panhandle to central NY and back with new Koni FSD shocks on the front.

On roads I had traveled previously, I was able to recognize a noticeable difference with the Konis. I was able to feel the difference and improvement in many places I used to dread driving. With the new shocks on just the front, I was also able to tell the difference in how the front axle was not experiencing as harsh an impact as the rear over the same road bumps. So, are the Konis and improvement? I have to say yes.

That being said, I still experienced many, many of the jaw-jarring bumps in the road that I had hoped the Konis would soften, but did not. It's likely not news to any of you that the condition of America's highways is pretty sad. I've concluded that when we're moving 20,000lbs over poor roads at 65 MPH, no shock is going to be able to make those bad bumps disappear.

Other posters have mentioned the Monroe Magnums and the new Bilstein that is supposed to be a rival to the Koni FSD, and the discussions usually come down to value. With that in mind, here's my conclusion.

I don't mind spending some extra money to get the result I'm after. If the Konis could eliminate that horrible hammering of the worst road bumps, then I'd gladly pay the higher cost. The Konis did make a noticeable difference, but only up to a point. If they only softened the blow and no shock is able to eliminate the harshest of bumps and I still have to have my jaw reset when I get home, then why not save some money and go with a less expensive improvement over the stock Bilstein? Naturally, I'm going to leave the Konis up front. But when I order the rear set, I'm probably going to get the Monroe Magnums.
I will also be getting rears in the future and most likely Konis since they've done wonders in the front end....unless, you report that the Magnums are better. Looking forward to your post.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #88

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just ordered some rear Koni FSDs. The bilsteens (HD) are currently backordered until September unless you want to pay about 30% more for a supplier that stocks them.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #89

Lincolnboy2 has the Monroe's on ford around a 2006 maybe PM him I could not believe the size of them
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #90

Kent should be here shortly I got ahold of him price was good
Old 07-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #91

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Monroe Gas Magnums I put on my coach and there was such a difference in damping of not only the sway of the coach but also such improved driving and handling I was amazed.

I ordered them from these folks. That day I got a 10% discount too.

Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com

I ordered the Monroes and got them free shipping delivered to the house for around 275.00 after the 10% discount. All four.
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/p...Monaco-Chassis

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/p...Monaco-Chassis
Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #92

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I just ordered some rear Koni FSDs. The bilsteens (HD) are currently backordered until September unless you want to pay about 30% more for a supplier that stocks them.
Where did you order them from?

Thanks,
Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #93

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Monroe Gas Magnums I put on my coach and there was such a difference in damping of not only the sway of the coach but also such improved driving and handling I was amazed.
I have looked at the Monroe's but can't see them being any different then Bilstein's since their both gas charged shocks.

Chuck
Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #94

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
I have looked at the Monroe's but can't see them being any different then Bilstein's since their both gas charged shocks.

Chuck
Chuck I have no idea about the Bilsteins but I do know about the Monroes and they are cheaper....and according to Whem2fish, the Monroes are bigger than the Bilsteins, but I can't advise on the Bilsteins.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #95

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Where did you order them from?

Thanks,
Chuck
ultrarvproducts.com
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #96

You would have to compare the bore sizes visually Monroe is larger
Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #97

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
ultrarvproducts.com

X2...free shipping and should be here this afternoon
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #98

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
ultrarvproducts.com
Thanks, they have the best price with free shipping. Been hoping Autoplicity would get them back, but it doesn't look like it.

Chuck

Tags
koni, shocks