Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #1

Late model F53s, anyone add airbags such as Kelderman's

I've seen some older threads but wonder is anyone has any new words on F53's with air bags added? Good, bad or no change?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #2

May depend on what chassis you have. I have no problems with the ride or handling on my coach so I don't see the reason to spend money chasing a fix that is not needed.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sumo Springs are much less expensive.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #4

Not having anything on an F53 my main issue is making it smooth for the dogs in their crates back in the garage section. I was thinking that having air bags would make things smoother for them.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Timon,

First of all let me say this. We had a 1999 F-53 chassis. That was 18 years ago. While I was not new to motor homes I was new to the Ford chassis. We kept that chassis for 10 years and bought a TT. Then in 2013 we decided to go back to a MH. It was at that time that I discovered the iRV2 Forums and spent about 18 months learning a ton of stuff about modifications (MODS) to the chassis and improvements to the ride.

I am daily learning but do consider myself well informed about most all of the MODS and changes that can be made to improve the F-53 chassis. I am not an EXPERT by any means. What I share are my opinions and findings based on 35 years as an automotive instructor and an RV owner for close to 40 years who wants to find answers.

There are several threads devoted to both the Firestone air bags and Sumo Springs. I have had both. Our 1999 35' Dutch Star had front and rear AB's. Was the ride better?? That's difficult to say because i had very little basis of comparison.
By that I mean I'm not sure I really understood or realized before if the ride was bad. After the install it was still easy to drive and rode fairly well. No it was not the same as a DP air suspension as I've heard.

Here's the main point that ALWAYS needs to be taken into account, and often time it is not. Every coach built on the F-53 chassis is going to be different. There are so many variables to consider: Shocks, chassis weight (16-K, 18-K, 22-K & 24-K), Length, overhang, tires, tire pressure, where the coach builder placed heavy items like water tanks (fresh/waste), LP tank, batteries, fridge and many other factors.

Second point to consider. Based on the above variables it should be the owner who evaluates his/her coach. When buying a coach we seldom really take it for a long ride. And we are so enamored with the RV we often don't REALLY drive it with a critical eye on what is good and bad. One example. We picked a manufacturer, ordered our dream coach and went to the factory in Iowa to pick it up. It only had 20 miles on it and I drove it another 40 down country roads and expressways before we departed for home. When I got in to head home I was still not thinking as a trained technician. We headed south and I soon realized that the coach wanted to head to the right ditch. It had a strong pull right and i didn't realize it. It had a radial pull which was corrected by rotating that tire to the left side.

That's how easy it is to not recognize if and when something is not right with your new RV.

This is getting long so I'll just add this. The CHF is bar none the best MOD for ride and sway control. There is a separate thread devoted to it.

We have Koni shocks, and front Sumo Solo's. I'm going to add rear air bags and if that works out front air bags. I have gleaned enough information to realize that they should smooth out the expansion joints and reduce some of the road roughness. I can drive our MH 90+% of the time with one hand.

If you have other questions please ask.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have airbags at each corner and onboard air so if I choose I can adjust on the fly. The change in ride wasn't much for the cost. Doing the CHP and installing Koni shocks had a much greater effect on over all ride.

TeJay is pretty much on target. There are many independent factors that will effect the overall ride or comfort. One item he didn't include is correct tire pressure for you weight. Excessive over inflation will have an impact on ride comfort.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53