Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Leak in evaporator box

1999 winnebago adventurer 35c with f53 chassis and v10. 31k miles. Runs great, no overheating.

I've got a leak that is coming from the heater/evaporator box. Dripping out of what looks like an overflow tube as well as a couple other drips from the bottom of the box.

It started as what I thought was an overfill of antifreeze, but I am slowly losing fluid and def can smell it while driving. Dash air blows but doesn't work obvs. Getting it to work is not my priority, though would be nice if this does it. Primarily, I'm just trying to get the vehicle to stop leaking fluid.

My first question is how do I get into it.? The inter webs mostly seem to show getting to the area via the dash, but these are regular fseries vehicles. No you tubers have done this task to my surprise either. I'd like to accomplish this on my own as I do all my work regularly, but is the ford dealer an option if I run out of time before my next trip?

The front end approach looks daunting as space up in there is limited, hoping a dash entry is the solution.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!
RVLikeIts-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heater core?

Sounds like you are stating that the fluid dripping out of the evaporator box is antifreeze solution? Worst case scenario is that your heater core has sprung a pin hole leak. Best case , maybe a heater hose is leaking where it attaches to the heater core at clamp and could be easily replaced.
The immediate fix to stop the leak is to bypass the heater core by using a fitting from the auto parts store, or a few inches of copper pipe and some hose clamps. You will need to find the incoming and outgoing heater hoses for the heater core and unclamp or cut them so that you can put them together and bypass the core. A/C will continue to work, but obviously no heat until you resolve the culprit. I am not a fan of Stop Leak products running all through my cooling system. Others may say to try it.
In my 2000 F53 chassis the access panel to get to the AC Evap and heater core is under passenger side dash. Your will prob be similar. Good Luck!
mus289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #3

Thx for fast reply. Yes the fluid leak is engine coolant. Glad to hear that I should be able to get to it from the dash side. Just gotta crawl under there and figure out how that comes apart. I like your idea of bypassing as I live in Florida and can't see ever needing to use dash heat for anything as I'd be running house heat anyways, but maybe it's just some old hoses like u say too.

I will post efforts upon completion.
RVLikeIts-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:18 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVLikeIts-99 View Post
I'd like to accomplish this on my own as I do all my work regularly, but is the ford dealer an option if I run out of time before my next trip?
No they will not work on the heater core for you as it was not installed by Ford. They may just bypass the heater core for you and that would be about it.

An RV repair service center may fix it for you however.

Here is a link to a the heater core you may have:
Evans Tempcon, Inc

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
RVLikeIts-99, post over on the Winnebago forum and you may get a few more comments.
Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums
I do believe the best access is from the front under the hood. I think the front cover will come off exposing the core.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
RVLikeIts-99,Here is a link to the parts list for a 1999 Adventurer 35C.
Shows a good picture of your heater assembly.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/...99/99wg35c.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you go into the heater box, you should try to tighten the clamps on the hoses. On about 30% of the heaters that I worked on, The clamp was loose and caused coolant to shoot into the heater box, making it look like the core was leaking.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Before you go into the heater box, you should try to tighten the clamps on the hoses. On about 30% of the heaters that I worked on, The clamp was loose and caused coolant to shoot into the heater box, making it look like the core was leaking.
While you're at it check the clamps on all the other heater hoses and the radiator hoses. Ford used spring clamps that have a tendency to relax over time. They allow coolant to leak as the engine cools down.

If you find any evidence of previous leaks, like a stain on the lower side of the hose, or a dried puddle where the hose meets the block, replace the original clamps with screw style clamps.

We chased a coolant leak on our 2001 Ford chassis for months. I finally found a minor leak at the lower radiator hose. It cost about $25.00 to replace all the spring clamps with quality screw style clamps. Make sure you get quality replacement clamps from an auto parts store like NAPA. Some of the cheap ones sold at Wal mart and other discounters will self destruct in short order.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:53 PM   #9

Work is done...

Thanks everyone for your input, another job completed for little $$. I've been very fortunate to say the least with my old 99' Adventurer.

Being a FL resident, I thought better of wasting the time and spending the $$ to replace the heater/evaporator. I decided to simply cut the radiator hoses/sealed with some silicone to keep the wasps from taking up residence, and join the hoses together in a by-pass with a 5/8 brass fitting. Problem solved, $7 spent, 30 minutes total time.

Pics posted, ended up being super easy.

The first pic is of the original leak on the bottom of the heater box looking up at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1326.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	84820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1323.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	84821  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1321.jpg