Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #1

Liquid Spring Suspension

Anyone out there upgrade their E450 SD Class C (Triton V10) with a Liquid Spring rear suspension (liquidspring.com) or know someone who did?
Keith
keherrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by keherrington View Post
Anyone out there upgrade their E450 SD Class C (Triton V10) with a Liquid Spring rear suspension (liquidspring.com) or know someone who did?
Keith
I have not but a couple friends who I trust their opinion claimed it gave a good ride. They drove a test unit the company had at the FMCA rally this spring in Chandler.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:32 PM   #3

Know a couple people who work there, cool concept, very pricey.
Made right here in Lafayette Indiana.
Scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #4

Everything I have heard is great. Will be getting tier system on my Newmar 3401 Bay Star after a factory pick-up, only 2 1/2 hours away from Newmar factory.

Wayne at liquid spring has been very helpful and informative

Here are some of their videos: https://liquidspring.com/videos/

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #5

As long as everyone realizes that at the present time the liquid spring system is only installed on the rear suspension, To me that means after spending upwards of 10K you've still got a stock solid axle leaf spring front end under you. When I talked to the Liquid spring folks at the FMCA show in Indy they said they were working on a front suspension solution but I'll pass until it's available on both ends of the coach.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #6

Not a hundred percent sure on the math, but how far apart in price is an upper-tier gasser and an entry level diesel equipped with an air bag suspension?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:27 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For Newmar, Canyon Star starting at $165,000 and Ventana LE starting at $232,000. $67,000 difference.

There are also very few diesel options for a smaller coach.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All the more reason to look at buying a used quality diesel coach. You can buy a quality coach for less than a new gas coach.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #9

I mentioned this in another post where Liquid Spring was brought up:

Just an added something to consider (besides the big $$$) on the Liquid Spring (which BTW is very interesting concept): Per the WEB site Pics on adding it to the various chassis types, that looks like a whole heck of a lot of iron/weight they are adding to the chassis (see Pic attached). Be careful of your GVWR. May have to make some changes in what you carry to accommodate (especially in a lower GVWR gas chassis).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LSpring.jpeg
Views:	388
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	175249  
Old 09-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #10

It is my understanding that the liquid spring system weighs about 350 to 400lbs depending on the F-53 chassis it is being put on.

While it may be more expensive that all of the other "fixes" that can be added on a F-53 chassis, it provides much more than just a better ride and the ride is provides is better than the typical "fixes", (there are more than one and add up fast) which also has a slight weight increase to the rig.

I am going liquid spring and will let you know in the future (early 2018) exactly how it rides

Daniel
Old 09-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #11

Again remember that that first jolt of the front wheels hitting an obstacle is going to identical to what it is now. I really like the concept of the liquid suspension but with only the rear suspension available it's not a total solution. I'm hoping they come up with a front end solution in the near future.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
It is my understanding that the liquid spring system weighs about 350 to 400lbs depending on the F-53 chassis it is being put on.

While it may be more expensive that all of the other "fixes" that can be added on a F-53 chassis, it provides much more than just a better ride and the ride is provides is better than the typical "fixes", (there are more than one and add up fast) which also has a slight weight increase to the rig.

I am going liquid spring and will let you know in the future (early 2018) exactly how it rides
Rvlegaleagle,
Not sure I agree with your approach. You are going to do things before you even own a rig and drive it loaded. Other threads you discuss cost conscientiousness. You're going to be full time so weight will be a big issue. 400 lbs and thousands of dollars thrown at something that probably is not needed in this liquid suspension thing. I had a DP and can vouch the newer F53 can give a very satisfactory ride. All I did was load the chassis up will all my stuff (free), air the tires properly(free), do CHF F/R (free) and add a RSSA steering stabilizer(~$300).
Don't put the cart before the horse.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #13

I have been searching all over various forums trying to find posts by people who have actually had the Liquidsprings or Kelderman systems installed. I have a 29ft 2017 Newmar Baystar Sport and love the coach and size, just not the ride and noise. We have already driven 12K miles since January and have another 25-30K miles planned over the next two years, so any noticeable improvement in the ride would be very desirable.

Everyone uses their MH differently. DW and I have had numerous conversations and we have decided we really don't want to go bigger than 32' because we like national parks and prefer not to bring a toad. There is only one DP out there that meets that criteria, the Allegro Breeze 31BR, and that coach is significantly under-powered.

Since there are no DP's we would be interested in, our only choice is to improve what we have. Our expectations are not to match the DP's, but rather simply close the gap. We have already installed F & R Roadmaster Sway Bars, adjusted tire pressure and added a steering stabilizer. The coach handles much better now and we can live with how it drives. However, the noise level and jarring ride on rough roads is still hard to live with, especially on 400+ mile days.

From their marketing literature and very limited testimonials, the Liquid Springs system sounds like it would go a long way towards closing the gap between the F53 and a DP. Yes, its a lot of money, but it's cost is less than the sales tax I would pay to go to a DP. So if it works, it sounds like a great solution.

I am having Redlands Truck and RV install new Koni shocks on all 4 corners plus add dynamat sound deadening to the front engine compartment and wheel wells this week. Will try this on our 3,000 mile trip to Oregon in a couple of weeks and see if I think we still need more. Redlands RV is the shop that installed the Liquid Springs on the Winnebago Adventurer in the video on the Liquid Springs website. They would love to install the same system on my coach.

I will be asking them if they think you could add the Kelderman front axle system on top of the Liquid Springs rear system. The cost of both of these systems would only be slightly more than the sales tax on a new DP, so if they really close the ride gap, I think it would be worth it.
joelminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Rvlegaleagle,
Not sure I agree with your approach. You are going to do things before you even own a rig and drive it loaded. Other threads you discuss cost conscientiousness. You're going to be full time so weight will be a big issue. 400 lbs and thousands of dollars thrown at something that probably is not needed in this liquid suspension thing. I had a DP and can vouch the newer F53 can give a very satisfactory ride. All I did was load the chassis up will all my stuff (free), air the tires properly(free), do CHF F/R (free) and add a RSSA steering stabilizer(~$300).
Don't put the cart before the horse.
You are absolutely right I believe you have the 35ft Bounder if memory serves me correctly.
Is that on the 24,000 or 26,000 chassis? I did speak with Wayne over at Liquid Springs and their system adds about 385lbs to the rig. They also do the F-53 24,000 and 26,000 chassis even though they are not mentioned on their website.

I am leaning towards getting the system because it does provide much more than simply a better ride. But you are 100% correct in that I have been getting ahead of myself....actually iy is hard not to as there are many things to package to properly be prepared for a few months at a time. Solar for instance is a must have as will be a toad and all that involves, the toad itself, brake system, TMS, tow bar and base. Just when you think you are done...something else gets your attention....lol

I am sure attendance at the upcoming Hershey RV show isn't going to help any

Daniel

Tags
suspension