Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2023, 10:31 AM   #29

Send a message via MSN to e4services
My two cents.
since your rig is new and a warranty, get a CAT on order from the dealer.
Get the straight pipe put in.
If either the upstream or downstream O2 sensors are missing from the hack job, you can run without either. The lack of either or both will cause a CEL, but this will not cause harm.
The upstream is used by the ECU to fine tune the Fuel Trims (air/fuel). As when the engine starts cold, the engine will run in Closed Loop with a set Air/Fuel mixture all the time, never entering open loop where the A/F is trimmed for the least emissions.
As it has been said here prior, the downstream is only to warn of CAT failure.
The only issue would be if a different error occurred to set another code, not sure if you would know.
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2023, 02:35 PM   #30

I have one question about using a straight pipe, could it put the vehicle into limp mode if the O2 sensor is not getting the right info?
Saltwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterman View Post
I have one question about using a straight pipe, could it put the vehicle into limp mode if the O2 sensor is not getting the right info?
It may run in open loop mode, they run in open loop until the engine warms but it won't go to limp mode.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:51 PM   #32

As long as you have the upstream O2 sensor in place and connected you should be able to drive the vehicle with no ill effects. This is the sensor which reports the fuel to air ratio to the ECM. You will have a check engine light on unless you install a second bung and sensor downstream and modified to trick the ECM.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but I would get a police report where you reported the converter stolen. Then get a statement from the dealer you ordered the converter from. If you should get stopped, at least you have some documentation as to why you aren't equipped with a converter and may be able to escape a ticket. Bungs are readily available to install in a pipe to mount the O2 sensor.. They are the same 14 mm thread as a spark plug. I have one of them in each of the tuned pipes on the triple cylinder engine on my race sled for use when the engine was on a Dyno.
If your converter was straight you can install a pipe yourself with some careful measuring. If the ends of the converter were at an angle you will need an exhaust shop to bent the pipe for fitment if you can find a shop willing to do it. A registered repair shop is bending the Federal rules when they do any of these modifications and could be subject to healthy fines for doing so.
I would not attempt to drive the vehicle any distance without the upstream O2 sensor(s) in place and operational. Most likely the computer will enter a limp home mode with limited power and won't perform well at all.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:58 PM   #33

Who is going to pull you over thinking "Hey that RV doesn't have a catalytic converter"?
Old 01-30-2023, 05:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Who is going to pull you over thinking "Hey that RV doesn't have a catalytic converter"?
More than likely you wouldn't get pulled over driving down the highway without a catalytic converter but at least in my state we do have road blocks on occasion called safety checks or just vehicle checks. They will routinely check your driver's license, vehicle registration, vehicle inspection certificate and your insurance card. Quite often they will check to be sure your are wearing your seat belts (driver and passenger(s), sometimes they will check your lights and they may ask you to start the vehicle up. If they suspect your exhaust is louder than normal they can check your system and if they find a problem they can or will write you up for "inadequate exhaust". Most of these folks don't want to stop vehicles all day long without writing a few citations. If you've had a couple drinks they have a field day.
I'm not knocking them, they're simply doing their job.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRider View Post
Thanks all -Any warranty issues to consider?

Am I voiding any warranties by driving it distance and bypassing Cat?
Actually that is considered a warranty violation should there be any engine damage as a result.
xyzabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:36 AM   #36

Curious as to what sort of warranty a 1996 model vehicle would have. But anyway the early OBDII vehicles (like 1996) used the "downstream" O2 sensor purely for checking on the efficiency of the catalytic converter. With one disconnected it will surely turn on the check engine light and set at least one "pollution" code. None of which will affect how the vehicle runs and performs as that is only affected by the upstream O2 sensors.

This does not apply well to very late model vehicles which aren't part of this discussion.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:58 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
I’ve had two cats stolen from my rv. The first was in 2021. It took 6-days to get on OEM cat and have it installed. It cost $2700. The second was in 2022. It took 4-months to get an OEM part installed and cost $4,000. Progressive paid both times but complained about the cost to the shop and to me, as well, on the second one.

I had a trip coming up during the 4-mo wait so I started calling around about getting a temporary pipe installed. I found no shop that would do that work for me. Not only did they say no, they thought I was a cop calling to test them.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:53 PM   #38

Have you tried a muffler shop in your area, that is where mine was replaced
Frank1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4services View Post
As when the engine starts cold, the engine will run in Closed Loop with a set Air/Fuel mixture all the time, never entering open loop where the A/F is trimmed for the least emissions.
Isn't that the other way around? Engine starts in open loop until it sees a minimum coolant temperature (usually 165 degrees) and then it polls the Bank 1 - Sensor 1 / Bank 2 - Sensor 1 O2 sensors and looks for active signal. It will then go into "closed loop" where it constantly adjusts injector voltage until it sees a stochiometric mixture. It will default back into open loop at WOT. In Open loop it should just look at throttle position output and RPM to use a pre-mapped fuel algorithm.

Open Loop doesn't use feedback, Closed Loop uses feedback.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRider View Post
Yep - Cat stolen from our F-53 V-8 2022 Bounder 33C while in storage; they got 14 of em all in a row.

OEM replacement availability listed as "unknown" in the inventory system - we're on the waiting list since November with, I'm sure, alot of you .

We have our 1st one month trip (3700 mi) coming up in May; TX to NM, AZ, UT, NV and back thru TX.
We have all the campgrounds reserved (no easy task) and were ready to go.
At this point I'm beginning to wonder if the Cat will be in place by them.

I am getting ready to add a straight pipe to fill the gap as a temp replacement to drive it back & forth to service center and maybe a short campground but...

QUESTION:
IF May comes and no Catalytic Convert we will have to decide whether to cancel or bite the bullet and take to long trip with No Catalytic Converter in place.

What'd y'all think? Will the Bounder be OK for that many miles with a straight pipe and no Cat.

Thanks for the input,

Jeff
Hi Jeff and good luck. My coach started pulsing and after taking it to my mechanic, my cat was partially plugged and had to be replaced on my 2015 Winnebago Vista on the F53 chassis. OEM was out of the question as we couldn't even get a gestimate as to when we could get one. I opted for an aftermarket cat. Now we generated a whole new issue. I won't go into detail here but I would suggest you read my thread at https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/trit...ng-585180.html
It is a long thread, however, we did reach a conclusion and resolved the problem. If you do nothing more, look at the last 3 or 4 pages and you can get the final wrap on it.
Chuck
waggintails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:15 PM   #41

Spartan Chassis
Ya made me laugh as I was thinking,"I know a guy". I knew someone with a Ford truck who did that and never did replace his CAT, but he was in a state that didn't do tailpipe testing. I'm pretty sure he deleted the O2 sensors as well. When he sold it he did tell me guy who bought it that the CAT had been deleted. The guy laughed and said, "well, I guess I don't have to worry someone is gonna steal it."
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:38 PM   #42

Just stay clear of California. Get stopped there and checked, you will face major fines, even if from out of state. CSP doesn't know how to smile especially when it comes to pollution.
xyzabc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter