Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 11:22 PM   #1

Question Looking at a 1989 Ford Rockwood w/460 - carb, thoughts?

I am going to look at one of these tomorrow, it has around 80k on the engine... what and where should i look for the manifold issue... what should i be looking for... I am buying my first motorhome - no previous experience - I have mechanical knowledge, but it is old and fuzzy - pictures of what i need to look for and location would be GREATLY appreciated... plus, what are your thoughts on this type of MH? Seems to be well taken care of via pictures... i will know better once i lay eyes on it. I believe they are asking $6200 for it?
artsyrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 06:19 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
carb??
I was thinking an 89 had a Fuel Injected 460 an a computer (PCM).
It should also have a E4OD transmission.

If it has a carb the chassis is a 1988 with a C6 transmission.
The title may say 1989 but the chassis is a 1988.
Check the VIN for the right year chassis and get back with us as a 88 an a 89 are very different chassis set ups.

If it is a class "A" it may also have a JD chassis.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:03 AM   #3

Would it have ‘throttle body injection’? Definitely will be OBDI.
Just as important, check belts, hoses, transmission fluid, pull the dipstick on tranny, and engine, take a look and smell both. Examine steering linkage, and rubber boots, has the unit been greased in last few years?
Does it have a generator? Does it start? Does it generate electricity?
Check the radiator, and overflow tank.
Can you take it for a test drive?
Old 10-17-2021, 08:08 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If it is definitely carbed it probably is a 1988 which as someone suggested a John Deere/Oshkosh chassis. Check the passenger side exhaust manifold for broken bolts especially at the rear. Common issue. If it has a tag axle you will need to check the master cylinder for the tag under the MH to be sure it has fluid. Also, a major problem for that chassis is finding replacement rear rotors. You might have to have the rear end replaced with a different Dana since replacement rotors are almost impossible to find. I had a 1988 JD/Oshkosh that is why I know.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #5

Thanks, I will be going to take a look at it in about 2hrs. Also going to look at a 1990 mallard sprinter today
Old 10-17-2021, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lars View Post
Would it have ‘throttle body injection’? Definitely will be OBDI.
Just as important, check belts, hoses, transmission fluid, pull the dipstick on tranny, and engine, take a look and smell both. Examine steering linkage, and rubber boots, has the unit been greased in last few years?
Does it have a generator? Does it start? Does it generate electricity?
Check the radiator, and overflow tank.
Can you take it for a test drive?
From the sounds of it, this couple bought it this spring from the original owners who had taken good care of it. They ended up spending more time on the boat than with the camper (guessing they want to avoid trying to store it - or there is a leak in the overhead and they don't want to deal with it) Having all new tires and a new fridge is a plus, everything else looks clean and they claim it all works.

Thanks for the refresher on the checklist, it will come in handy!
(I am also going to look at a 1990 Mallard Sprinter with 102k miles that had the a complete roof tear off and replacement 2 yrs ago, all new seals, brakes redone 2 yrs ago, has a Gen. they never used, everything works inside, will find out more on the mechanical when we look at it after 4pm when the hubby is home - they are getting a bigger MH so they can tow a van - and it has already been winterized- asking $6000)
Old 10-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #7

I have a 1993 Rockwood Class C - built on a 1992 Ford chassis. I had looked at a couple of Rockwoods, and it seems they all followed that pattern.

(I've been impressed at the build quality of the Rockwoods from that era. Seem to be more solid than many other brands. The Ford chassis is pretty bulletproof, too. Buy a $10 auto stethoscope and listen for knocks and manifold leaks.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Also look for a squishy floor from a water leak.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #9

We ended up passing on the Rockwood, really don't want to worry about that manifold and rotor/back end issue... it did have a carburetor ..... leaving to check on the 1990 Mallard Sprinter... Vin has it as 1989 ford cutaway van E350 138"WB Commercial mfg code 37, V8 7.5 450, new roof and brakes/rotors 2yrs ago and all seals replaced, no awning - it started to fray and they just used a screen tent, has a Generator but they haven't used it because they stay at sites... roof top ac does not work, everything else does, they have used it regularly and are selling to upgrade to a rv that will tow a 8passenger van.... 102k miles, regular maintence, they winterized it Friday... asking $6000 Any info I should know about this style?? List price came in at $9685, low retail $3050, average retail $3650 Thoughts? what is a reasonable offer if it is something that will work for me, $5000?
Old 10-18-2021, 02:54 AM   #10

I passed on the Rockwood, The 90 Mallard sprinter was interesting, for 30yrs old, regular use, it was in decent shape. One spot of concern that would need to be addressed right away is the gear housing on the steering looks twisted with splits/cracks... i need to find a manual/diagrams and pick some brains to see what kind of cost/availability there is for these parts, maybe see if upgrading the column is possible so it can telescope for me!
Old 10-18-2021, 04:00 AM   #11

You could have other people redo the manifold and the rear brake setup and still have good value in an RV for $6k upfront. (I'm a fan of that era Rockwood.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #12

You might want to start a new thread focused on the Sprinter. Or people will keep talking about that Rockwood you are no longer interested in. It's a forum thing.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford